Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,461,143 times

Advertisements

It's a town, yes it's incorporated, and yes it's on Wikipedia. Irvington is my neck of the woods! It's borders are roughly:

Military to the South
I-680 to the West
Sorenson to the East
Somewhere between Irvington Rd. and Wenninghoff Rd to the North.

Irvington, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.037551&z=15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,747,250 times
[quote=brad_in_omaha;9796418]I was a town the sprung up around a former railroad junction. The tracks are all long gone, but all the streets run different than the Omaha streets because they are parallel to the former railroad.

I remember as a kid they still had railroad cars near the river.
Probably not there anymore.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,569,465 times
Quote:
Expansion and annexation by greater Omaha has all but caused the disappearance of almost all cultural and historical entities, and it now is represented by a few small retail shops and rural homes.
That quote from the Wikipedia article Pheaton linked pretty much says it all. Though I didn't know the history of Irvington, I'm in that area a lot. It has all the classic elements of a tiny town that is "grown around" by a city.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:54 PM

Yupp. When you go to Walmart on Military there the sign inside the entrance says "Welcome to your Irvington Walmart" or something like that.

The exit off of I-680 says Irvington and there are some other signs down the highways that mention Irvington.

There isn't anything that really defines it's borders, but the borders are roughly what I mentioned above.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,569,465 times
It's interesting to me that it was established relatively late - in the 1930s.

But I guess, at that point in history, Omaha was still quite a few miles away, and the railroad & Military Highway would make for a prosperous area.

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,192 times
I'm a little late in seeing this - I just ran across this discussion and joined the forum.
I went to grade school in Irvington, back when there was a grade school there (it closed in 1980, though the building is still there). The Wikipedia entry is a little off on the history section. The town was established well before the 1930's; like most towns in the vicinity, I would imagine it formally sprung up when the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad was built through there. But I do know Irvington had a post office before 1882, when Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska was published, and there were a number of people living and farming there as early as the late 1850's.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaFan View Post
I'm a little late in seeing this - I just ran across this discussion and joined the forum.
I went to grade school in Irvington, back when there was a grade school there (it closed in 1980, though the building is still there). The Wikipedia entry is a little off on the history section. The town was established well before the 1930's; like most towns in the vicinity, I would imagine it formally sprung up when the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad was built through there. But I do know Irvington had a post office before 1882, when Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska was published, and there were a number of people living and farming there as early as the late 1850's.
That's the beauty of Wikipedia. . Fix it man! Edit those facts!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajosh618 View Post
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any information about the Irvington area in northwest Omaha? I've seen the exit off of I-680 and know exactly where it is and all.

But I'm confused as to whether it was a former town, neighborhood, boom and bust settlement, trading post, I don't know!

I've asked a few people and no one seems to know. I've Googled and Wikipedia-ed "Irvington" and have come up with nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated!
I used to live in Irvington from 1946 to 1954 and 1958 to 1969.
I think that Irvington began as a small town along the railroad there.
My Grandparents moved to the area in the late 1800's.
When Irvington began, it was miles from Omaha, but Omaha grew over the years and eventually overran it.
I remember back in the mid sixties, the people of the area fighting to not become a part of Omaha and losing the battle. Now Irvington is like a small little corner of the big city of Omaha.
When I was a child, I would ride to Irvington School in my Grandfathers dark blue pickup truck. We would be on the Irvington Road and most everything for miles around the area was cornfields. Now those same fields are houses and businesses.
When the interstate was put in and the malls began to sprout up in Omaha during the sixties, Irvington really went down hill and never recovered.
People could now bypass the whole town and buy at malls with "one stop shopping" for all their needs.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
That's the beauty of Wikipedia. . Fix it man! Edit those facts!
Irvington, Nebraska had a post office. My Great Grandfather worked there.
My Great Grandparents, my parents and I lived in Irvington too.
Could tell you some more about the history if you are interested.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,699 times
They just tore down the Irvington Creamery in January of this year. I have pics and footage of the domolition and saved one of the ceramic tiles it was built with. I also have pictures of the inside. The Fremont Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad named the town and all the rest of the towns that are connected (Bennington, Washington, Arlington). The Chicago Northwestern Railroad aquired the FEMV Railroad in 1903 and that line through Irvington was active until 1976. It would have lasted longer but a bridge northwest of Bennington, near highway 36 caught on fire some how and the CNW decided not to replace it. The rails were torn up and savaged in 1980. The house where the depot agent lives, still stands. His name was Mr Vestal. I live in Irvington and have been researching it's history for a number of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha