Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,823 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be moving to Omaha next month and I'm looking for some insight. I will be renting a 2 bedroom apartment and will also be working at the airport. I make about $3300 a month and my wife stays at the apartment with the 5 and 3 year old. (Until school). She does not work.

What apartment complexes allow you to walk safely to a nearby elementary school while being cost effective but in a nice area/nice complex?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 04:17 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
I'm sorry your question hasn't gotten a helpful answer yet, and sorrier I can't help much as I don't have kids and therefore haven't paid much attention to where the various schools are located. I can, however, warn you that you DO NOT want to live close to the airport, as that is near the very worst part of town, and that the Omaha Public School system is mediocre at best. The best schools are in the suburbs west of 72nd Street and in District 66. Those are the areas where I'd look for rentals if I had school-aged kids.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Here’s a link for the district 66 boundaries in Omaha. It will show you the locations of the elementary schools. Once you find several school locations you can then go to a google map and enter the school address ~ after that enter a search for apartments and they should also show up on the map.

Westside Community Schools - District Map
Here’s the Carl A Swanson elementary school info & map

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...n+school+omaha

This is the Indian Hills Apt. very close by the school.
https://plus.google.com/106089298247...ut?gl=us&hl=en

I don’t know anything about the apartments or the school however it should be a good starting location for moving to the city. It should be a good location to a school, an apt, and driving to work. You’ll be taking Dodge St. into the downtown Omaha area heading for the airport.

You might see other elementary schools on the map for district 66 that you think or know are better, once you have an address you can google map search that then search for apartments.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Honestly I see no problem with OPS. I have always felt it's more about the student than the school.

East Omaha is going to be more pedestrian friendly, west Omaha is going to be almost pedestrian hostile. So if you want to have the choice of walking places stay east of 72nd. If you want bus service also stay on the east side. West Omaha has bus service, but it's spread out and does not run as often as in the center of the city.

For walk-ability there are the newly(within the last 10 years) remodeled drake court apartments. Liberty Elementary(OPS) is less than a block away, behind the complex actually, and central high is just a 15 minute walk. A supermarket just 12 minutes walk and several bus lines to chose from. You also have several unique ethnic stores to chose from in that area as well.

You would be close to work so even driving would be perhaps 10 minutes, even in BAD weather, where those in west Omaha can look forward to an hour or more commute on the bad days(My coworker from about 152nd and something has 2-3 of these days a year). Living close to work is worth some negatives for the time and sanity saved.

As for crime, Omaha has it, but there really are no true "bad" areas. Omaha is no Detroit or Flint, even though some seem to want us to be. Look at a crime map and decide for yourself if you find it acceptable. I have friends and family that live in the heart of north Omaha, yet they have never had issues in 40+ years, so I feel safe walking down almost any street in omaha at any time of day or night.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
I'm not sure there's a good answer to your question, but I'll echo that you'll appreciate living nearby work, and walkable areas in Omaha are in the older parts. All the good stores, safe areas, and nice new things are out west. Also if you want a "nice area/nice complex", it won't be "cost effective". Cheap apartments in Omaha usually mean you'll have neighbors cigarette smoke in your apartment constantly, and you'll hear their tv at all hours. It makes sense to pay up for housing and get an apartment built to condo code. There's nowhere within miles of the airport where a 3 or 5 year old can walk around safely by themselves. Avoid North Omaha at all costs. Shootings happen daily there. Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: