Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 6,857 times

Advertisements

Bosco55David, you sound like your from here.

I may be stuck in a rut, but it's mostly like a chinese fingertrap.. the loan is almost gone, I have been paying the whole time, but within the last 3 years I've really buckled down and paid more than half of my income with some of my fiance's, plus my passive income to get rid of it.. we worked on my fiance's student loan and it is now paid off.. combined we have 1 year left of payments and then we are completely debt free.. THAT is something worth sacrificing for Vicomte.. people will say whatever they like but the reality is, we don't live in a wonderful economic time, and living somewhere because it is cheap and I have a really great salary is something to consider.. after that we will be making some choices about what we want after this. I have been thinking about the "Minnesota nice" comment todd00, you have a point, some places are like that but I especially see the problem in Omaha.. they do not like people who were not raised here, I will tell you a story.. the first year I lived here, I ignored the stares, the impolite aggressive behavior of men and women in restaurants and in a few bars, I really made an effort to go out and find some friends, I struck up a conversation with a woman my age then (23) while I was waiting for my then boyfriend (now fiance) in 'Old Chicago' (restaurant bar).. we really hit it off! laughing, enjoying our conversation, seemed to really catch on, we talked for almost 30 minutes.. then she got this cold look on her face, stopped acting friendly with me and said ".. I DON'T NEED ANY MORE FRIENDS." And picked up her purse and moved to the other side of the room!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! I was so shocked, my fiance came back from the bathroom, I watched her from across the room order a plate with a beer, eat it alone and leave. But over time, things unfolded in ugly negative ways over and over again, 3 separate women tried to steal my fiance after getting cozy with me (people who said they were 'friends' for 1-2 years), people (not just women) tried to get close and steal items, food, some even asked for cash loans (that we would not give) and they tried to lie to people and say we "F*ked them over?" 1 woman I worked with seemed okay with me become SO enraged when she met my white boyfriend (he is extremely hot) after I invited her to my home for after work drinks with fellow co-workers, that she attempted a smear campaign at work! Really went out of her way to attack my character, I was forced to train her on a project and she tanked it just to try to demote me (she got demoted), then keyed my car, tried to steal my boyfriend and in a last ditch effort, she started telling these crazy outlandish lies about me!!!!! uh "things I was doing" on the side???" The most debased, ugly things I've seen women do, I've seen them do it HERE. (just here.) I made great friends with a few gay guys around here, and the only reason (they tell me) is because they've been similarly oppressed themselves lol.

In Kansas City they are a little rude at first, but once you get past that they are genuine people who will use their hearts to actually care about someone they met, perhaps the same in MN? (only been there on connecting flights can't say from experience) in Des Moines they are not like the people here, I go there regularly, have friends born and raised there who love us to death and seems like we now live part time in their guest bedroom lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 6,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Funny you say you enjoyed Des Moines, the people and city is not much different than Omaha. Kansas City is bigger, but people are not drastically different just 3 hours to the south of Omaha. Some of your points could apply to about anyplace, people that have ulterior motives for striking up a friendship, dumb shallow people, overly suspicious types and terrible street planning. Ever here of "Minnesota Nice", you think the smile to your face thing is strictly an Omaha phenomenon. Yes, there are places that have more scenic beauty, mountains, tall pines and lakes. But one should have realized all that before settling in Nebraska. Then you say "Don't get me wrong, they are nice enough here, but it's not worth relocating" lol
I am saying that I made my decision because my house needed to make some hard financial decisions, but I won't mislead people about this place, it is not out of towner friendly. It is not Native American friendly, I would even venture to say the reason why immigrants and the poor keep such a close knit community here is because literally all Omaha city dwellers wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire. I mean to say exactly this: You will not risk life and limb to move here, you may find that you can pay off large looming debts here, you will find you can save some money, you can build your portfolio, if you are smart, and I know many people are, you may find a way to gain some upward mobility.. you will not be burned at the stake, but you will be treated like Frankenstein while you carry out your plans.

Citydata helped me get a few things off my chest, I've had to lie to my adopted parents and tell them I love it here, my birth parents are both dead, my father died when I was a kid and my mother committed suicide when I was 13, I have no other blood relations that I know about, before my adopted parents took me in, I literally lived on the street... I slept in a safeway at night or an adjacent mall, my meals were what I could steal, and I had no one else except my friends, foster parents would normally turn me out onto the street and collect their fees. My adopted parents had their own family years before I showed up, they have their great grand kids today, but god bless them for taking a poor kid in. My best friend died in a car accident when we graduated High School, and a few more of my friends died after that, and I saw that life is too short and too precious and there is too much sadness and death where I was, so I moved. I do not regret my decision to leave my birthplace initially, but I lament losing the chance at a fuller life because I wanted to get ahead with finances and not suffer true poverty in the process. My fiance was fine for the first couple of years, but it wears on him to see me so hated, I myself have lived with people who hate you for breathing and becoming more than what you started with and would like nothing more than to see my soul crushed and die preferably in a shameful manner.. I have lived with people who hated my skin and my facial features for most of my life, even when I was a child, I already know what I'm dealing with. I also know that my heart is so strong that regardless I will be fine, they could take everything from me, and I will thrive where ever I am thrown while they diminish because of their cold stonelike hearts. That is what happens when you are spiritually with God and on the side of Life. For people who hate Native Americans and don't see the gifts that could be shared if only they were to love and understand my people, don't think about the pain that only a race that faced genocide could bear, or the fact that our culture is in direct conflict with the main culture (when it comes to money or power or the health and wellbeing of our home planet and it's other inhabitants-animals) think about this... "I am Life which wills to live, and I exist in the midst of Life which wills to live".~ Albert Schweitzer, that known racist seemed to have landed upon an philosophy that works exceedingly well! He only missed the most important part, what sets us apart from animals among us is not sympathy, it's compassion. (sympathy=I understand, compassion=I understand and act upon it). Don't be an animal, be a human being. You would be surprised what a Native American could teach you about love, even if you hate her for it.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloveblove View Post
Bosco55David, you sound like your from here.
Born and raised there, moved to Tampa Bay when I was about 16.

Quote:
but I especially see the problem in Omaha.. they do not like people who were not raised here
I know multitudes of people (including many on this forum) who have assimilated just fine. Again, maybe the problem is you?

Quote:
I will tell you a story.. the first year I lived here, I ignored the stares, the impolite aggressive behavior of men and women in restaurants and in a few bars, I really made an effort to go out and find some friends, I struck up a conversation with a woman my age then (23) while I was waiting for my then boyfriend (now fiance) in 'Old Chicago' (restaurant bar).. we really hit it off! laughing, enjoying our conversation, seemed to really catch on, we talked for almost 30 minutes.. then she got this cold look on her face, stopped acting friendly with me and said ".. I DON'T NEED ANY MORE FRIENDS." And picked up her purse and moved to the other side of the room!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! I was so shocked, my fiance came back from the bathroom, I watched her from across the room order a plate with a beer, eat it alone and leave. But over time, things unfolded in ugly negative ways over and over again, 3 separate women tried to steal my fiance after getting cozy with me (people who said they were 'friends' for 1-2 years), people (not just women) tried to get close and steal items, food, some even asked for cash loans (that we would not give) and they tried to lie to people and say we "F*ked them over?" 1 woman I worked with seemed okay with me become SO enraged when she met my white boyfriend (he is extremely hot) after I invited her to my home for after work drinks with fellow co-workers, that she attempted a smear campaign at work! Really went out of her way to attack my character, I was forced to train her on a project and she tanked it just to try to demote me (she got demoted), then keyed my car, tried to steal my boyfriend and in a last ditch effort, she started telling these crazy outlandish lies about me!!!!! uh "things I was doing" on the side???" The most debased, ugly things I've seen women do, I've seen them do it HERE. (just here.) I made great friends with a few gay guys around here, and the only reason (they tell me) is because they've been similarly oppressed themselves lol.

In Kansas City they are a little rude at first, but once you get past that they are genuine people who will use their hearts to actually care about someone they met, perhaps the same in MN? (only been there on connecting flights can't say from experience) in Des Moines they are not like the people here, I go there regularly, have friends born and raised there who love us to death and seems like we now live part time in their guest bedroom lol...
You know, reading this post reminds me of a scene from the most recent season of Justified where Raylan goes bounty hunter for a day and catches a fugitive. During the conversation, he drops this quote.

"You know, my daddy told me something. If you get up in the morning and you meet an a-hole, then you just met in a-hole. If all day you meet nothing but a-holes, then you're the a-hole".

Just saying.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
"You know, my daddy told me something. If you get up in the morning and you meet an a-hole, then you just met in a-hole. If all day you meet nothing but a-holes, then you're the a-hole".
Just saying.
Sometimes. But it can be easy to blame a victim when they don't meld with an overarching culture, even if that culture is wrong. Not all slaves were a-holes during slavery, not all Jews were a-holes during the holocaust.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Sometimes. But it can be easy to blame a victim when they don't meld with an overarching culture, even if that culture is wrong. Not all slaves were a-holes during slavery, not all Jews were a-holes during the holocaust.
...the hell? Am I correct in saying that you're comparing Omaha's culture to pre-civil war America and Nazi Germany?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,346 times
It's less of a stretch than thinking a line from a TV show about hicks in Kentucky is a valid argument for anything.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
It's less of a stretch than thinking a line from a TV show about hicks in Kentucky is a valid argument for anything.
Well first of all, I'd have to point out to you that my post was a statement, not an argument. Second, even hinting at a connection between Omaha and those two atrocities is mind numbingly stupid.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 22,204 times
Question: is the Nebraska side of Carter Lake slated for low income tract housing--in the abandoned industrial areas say from N. 24th to Carter Lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha