Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,294 times

Advertisements

Route 50 Used to provide fixed service to bellevue but it was decontinued due to "low ridership". i suppose i can see why there was low ridership though, because it went from bellevue to further points in bellevue and really only traveled through old neightborhoods. the only thing i could see working for bellevue would possibly be an extention of route 17, following the 50's old route, but also providing service to the walmart. Possibly another route to the twin creek cinema area at 370 & 36th.
i've also thought up a circulator route that starts at 72 and Q and follows route 93 to 84 and cedardale and continue south to Midlands Hospitol and going east to go through shadow lake and go north to serve the walmart and neighborhoods near that and continuing north to 72 and Q to do it over. Since it would be a loop, the bus would travel in both directions. the problem with that route, however is it is basically sarpy county to sarpy county and the only transfer points to the sysem would be with route 55 and route 13. altough, it would only make the route about 10 minutes longer to serve Bergan Mercy and pick up passengers there. that would make an hour long route and that would solve the problem with connectivity to the rest of the system.

but i think as long as MAT isnt a regional transit Authority, it will be tough to get anything going in any other counties, since they require a turn key contract with the county to operate the bus. Also, Curt Simon doesnt seem progressive in nature.

I think Nebraska needs a Department of Transportation instead of a department of roads, which would allow the state to help out with the transit problem in omaha and would also allow for MAT to become a regional transit authority and serve areas in different counties, without the "hassle" of turn key contracts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Route 50 Used to provide fixed service to bellevue but it was decontinued due to "low ridership". i suppose i can see why there was low ridership though, because it went from bellevue to further points in bellevue and really only traveled through old neightborhoods.

the only thing i could see working for bellevue would possibly be an extention of route 17, following the 50's old route, but also providing service to the walmart. Possibly another route to the twin creek cinema area at 370 & 36th.

i've also thought up a circulator route that starts at 72 and Q and follows route 93 to 84 and cedardale and continue south to Midlands Hospitol and going east to go through shadow lake and go north to serve the walmart and neighborhoods near that and continuing north to 72 and Q to do it over.

Since it would be a loop, the bus would travel in both directions. the problem with that route, however is it is basically sarpy county to sarpy county and the only transfer points to the sysem would be with route 55 and route 13. altough, it would only make the route about 10 minutes longer to serve Bergan Mercy and pick up passengers there.

that would make an hour long route and that would solve the problem with connectivity to the rest of the system.

but i think as long as MAT isnt a regional transit Authority, it will be tough to get anything going in any other counties, since they require a turn key contract with the county to operate the bus.

Also, Curt Simon doesnt seem progressive in nature.

I think Nebraska needs a Department of Transportation instead of a department of roads, which would allow the state to help out with the transit problem in omaha and would also allow for MAT to become a regional transit authority and serve areas in different counties, without the "hassle" of turn key contracts

I remember the 50. the 60 also existed for Bellevue also. both are gone.

the 17 needs to be expanded.

and cutting the it goes between the south o metro college down to l street on 60th street would help it's expansion

Route 17 (http://metroareatransit.com/html/rt17_4-09T.html - broken link) has maps and info on the 17 route.

Route 48 (http://metroareatransit.com/html/rt48_4-09T.html - broken link) has maps and info on the 48 route.

both need to be improved, they are the only thing that comes close to bus service in sarpy county besides the 2 express routes.

BTW: none of the sarpy buses (regular or express) run on sundays

the 72/q route thing you thought of would be good.

but since it would be too good of a idea I would bet Curt Simon wouldnt go for it, even for a trial basis.

on sundays, that route wouldnt connect to 13 or 55 at all, cause the 55 dont run at all.

and the 13 on sundays is mashed in with 32/40 route and therefore the 13 bus dont go between 60 and L or crossroads

Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 AM

(my 2 ideas for west omaha non-express bus routes:

IDEA 1:

starts at oakview mall and then goes down center, makes a brief stop at lakeland hospital and then goes down 168th street to dodge, then west on dodge to 204th

IDEA 2:

starts at westroads mall and goes down maple street from 102nd street, west to 168th street and goes down from 168th street from maple to dodge)

would be good.

I mean, Omaha ought to give the folks of Elkhorn something for being annexed.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM

in response to your first idea, ive thought of an extension to route 15. the difference starts at lakeside when after it turns left onto 171st street, it turns right on center instead of left and continues on to 186th and turns left. there are new appartments there and a sonic. then it would turn left onto wright street and keep going to in front of walmart and follows the curve to the light and it would turn left onto 180th and go up to burke, turn right and then turn left to stop at Village Pointe Park and Ride, where it will layover and then get back onto burke and head east to 168th, turn left and continue on to lakeside hills plaza and continue eastbound along the normal route. This would be done in a loop similar to route 32 on grover, so it would serve the 180th area every hour at rush periods and every two hours in the midday. not to little, not too much. i also think village pointe park and ride would be a great site for a west omaha transit center. i have too many ideas up my sleeve i think.

in regards to your second idea, i think route 4 should skip westroads, continue west on maple, turn right at 132nd street and follow the "91" Route i mentioned earlier, but also serve the walmart up close and the target as well, but would also end at 203 and wirt.

i also have many other routes that are more neighborhood routes for the west omaha area.

but i really think there would have to be more north south routes than east west routes in west omaha for fixed buses to work.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 AM

village pointe would be cool for the west omaha transit center

other than the 92 route there are no routes out at village pointe

Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 PM

yeah, so i think village pointe park and ride would be a good place for more routes to spur from. Like, i think a fixed route between village pointe and Westroads along dodge would be good. it would be the most direct route to downtown, that isnt an express and runs in the midday. and maybe that route would be good to run to 204 and dodge and meet up with my route 4 and 91 at 203 & Wirt. i also think a route to go north on 168th street and go east on blondo would be a good idea. and i was thinking maybe a route to go south on 168th to pacific and east to westroads would be good.

that would make 5 routes to serve village pointe, which is enough in my mind to have a transit center. Thats more than at Benson Park TC

Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 AM

the 4 would still have to go to westroads

cause the 4/22 bus route is two routes in one

and unless the 22 becomes it's own route, not attached to the 4

the 4 would still have to stop at westroads

Old 11-20-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
yeah, so i think village pointe park and ride would be a good place for more routes to spur from. Like, i think a fixed route between village pointe and Westroads along dodge would be good. it would be the most direct route to downtown, that isnt an express and runs in the midday. and maybe that route would be good to run to 204 and dodge and meet up with my route 4 and 91 at 203 & Wirt.

i also think a route to go north on 168th street and go east on blondo would be a good idea. and i was thinking maybe a route to go south on 168th to pacific and east to westroads would be good.

that would make 5 routes to serve village pointe, which is enough in my mind to have a transit center. Thats more than at Benson Park TC

dont get me started on benson park TC being bad on sundays:

the 18 is the only route that goes there on sundays

the 5 and 14 dont run on sundays, and the 8 dont go to BPTC on sundays

Old 11-20-2009, 10:34 AM

i yeah, i had a plan for the 22 also.
i wish i could post the route that i drew up on microsoft paint, but i don't know how to put it up on here.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
i yeah, i had a plan for the 22 also.
i wish i could post the route that i drew up on microsoft paint, but i don't know how to put it up on here.

glad u came up with a route 22 idea

the 22 should be a seperate bus and seperate route, not a extension route of the 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha