Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
My understanding is that corn-fueled furnaces are amazingly efficient. And from what I've heard, it's extremely clean heat.

I don't know of any that sit 50 feet from the house, and don't know why a guy would use such a set-up.

LDJ's Corn Furnace
This link speaks of a corn-fed furnace that goes through 14 bushels of corn in 10 days - or roughly 40 bushels of corn per month.

When corn-fed furnaces started to become popular, the price of corn was down around $1.75 per bushel - which is about the price it had been for many years. But then, during the summer of 2008, it shot up to over $7.00 per bushel. It quickly settled back down to about $3.00, where it remains. In other words, your price of "fuel" is going to vary.

I think the main problem for us city folks would be finding a farmer who would sell you the corn, and also having a way of transporting it to town, then storing it. And that, of course, all adds to the price of your heat.
Interesting, no I would not be able to have one where I live. I have noticed that near my parents home (rural town) there is a newly built home which has some kind of outdoor burner (wood, corn, dead bodies, idk) but is roughly 50ft from the house with a large pipe that goes underground in the direction of the home.

I'm guessing it's the same concept with a blower, maybe so they never have to smell it burning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:08 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Interesting, no I would not be able to have one where I live. I have noticed that near my parents home (rural town) there is a newly built home which has some kind of outdoor burner (wood, corn, dead bodies, idk) but is roughly 50ft from the house with a large pipe that goes underground in the direction of the home.

I'm guessing it's the same concept with a blower, maybe so they never have to smell it burning?
Just about anything is possible, regarding the fuel source. My dad toyed with building a huge furnace you could burn big round bales of hay in - then running pipes to his shop, the corn dryer, the house, etc. Open the "furnace door" every couple days, back up the tractor & drop off the 1500-2000 lb bale, close it back up and let it burn.

Years ago, I knew a guy who built an outdoor furnace like that, and he threw old railroad ties in it to burn. He had some connection, and apparently had access to an almost unlimited supply of railroad ties - for free. I can't help but think that had to be disgusting smelly black smoke rolling out of his furnace!

I think that just about anything is possible. But that doesn't mean it's feasible, or cost effective.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM

44 posts, read 80,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Let me be more specific here...

You're blowing a lot of hot air. You should save it for heating your house.

Sorry buddy, but you just keep digging your hole deeper. And come on... Telling people to shoot themselves? What is wrong with you?
Omaha Rocks, perhaps you just need to take mofford with a healthy dose of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: