Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 PM

21 posts, read 62,038 times

Advertisements

I moved down here in August from Michigan and I've absolutely loved it. Great town, great people. However, everyone scared me into not registering my car due to the high costs but no one could give me any specifics. I've had folks quote anywhere from 200 bucks to 2 grand. With the recent awful weather (and inability of the locality to deal with it) there are a lot of accidents and I don't want to get caught up in one with an expired plate.

What am I looking at to register 2 cars? Both VW's one a 2004 Jetta one a 2007 Rabbit. Both have about the same blue book value of 9-10 grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM
CCJ

55 posts, read 168,350 times
We will be relocating to Omaha this summer and I was just looking into this a couple days ago (since the hubby's company will pay it the first year). The cost is based on the value of the vehicle when new, not it's current value. Here is the Douglas County Treasurer site with the breakdown so you can figure it up yourself: MV Registration Index 8

Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 PM

So since my car was 15000 when new it's 180 x .8 + 35 wheel tax + a million niggling little 5 dollar fees plus inspection and plates? Rounds out to be around 300?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,612,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3lacksheep View Post
I moved down here in August from Michigan and I've absolutely loved it. Great town, great people. However, everyone scared me into not registering my car due to the high costs but no one could give me any specifics. I've had folks quote anywhere from 200 bucks to 2 grand. With the recent awful weather (and inability of the locality to deal with it) there are a lot of accidents and I don't want to get caught up in one with an expired plate.

What am I looking at to register 2 cars? Both VW's one a 2004 Jetta one a 2007 Rabbit. Both have about the same blue book value of 9-10 grand.
Eventually you're going to have to get your cars licensed in Nebraska. If you are currently running expired plates on your cars, I'd get to the DOT as soon as possible!

Because you're coming from out of state, they'll have to do a VIN inspection on each vehicle. It costs $10 per vehicle. Call the Douglas County Treasurer - at 7414 North 30th Street - to see where you have to go to get this done. The phone number there is 402-444-7103.

They'll also give you direction regarding how to get your Nebraska Drivers' License.

You'll obviously need proof of ownership, and proof of insurance, to get your Nebraska Titles & Plates. Honestly, I do not know whether they take your old plates, or you just toss them.

I'm going to guess that both your Jetta and Rabbit are going to run pretty close to $300 each. It may be a little higher this first time, because you'll also be buying new license plates. I'm basing that on the fact that our 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan was about $265 for our most recent registration.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM

370 posts, read 1,352,921 times
I'm not sure of the costs, but I do know that if you moved to Omaha in August and you haven't got Nebraska plates and a NE driver's license yet, you are breaking the law. You might want to get those taken care of...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 PM

I understand I'm breaking the law... I'm taking a calculated risk.

I also understand that since my Michigan plates are EXPIRED I'm breaking serious laws because I'm technically driving an unregistered vehicle.

I have to get this rectified by the 22nd of next month or they won't renew my insurance so rest your little heads, I'm on this. Thanks for the concern though.

What about taxes though? I thought in addition to the yearly registration I had to repay the sales tax?

Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 AM

We moved here, from Minnesota, 4 years ago. Had to go through the whole process.

You're going to pay about $300 per vehicle, I believe. I don't recall there being any sales tax issues.

Don't wait another 6 weeks. Get at least 1 car taken care of ASAP.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 AM

370 posts, read 1,352,921 times
Quote:
What about taxes though? I thought in addition to the yearly registration I had to repay the sales tax?
If you paid sales tax on the vehicle when you bought it--even if it was in Michigan, there is no reason you should have to pay it again. You only pay sales tax on an item once.

You'll have to pay your property tax, plate fee, and wheel tax in Nebraska.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
If you paid sales tax on the vehicle when you bought it--even if it was in Michigan, there is no reason you should have to pay it again. You only pay sales tax on an item once.

You'll have to pay your property tax, plate fee, and wheel tax in Nebraska.
I just got back from renewing the registration on my daughter's 03 Ford Focus. The total was $145.00.

I know it'll be more for your two VWs, coming from Michigan, but this gives you a point of reference.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,604,243 times
Quote:

If you can't afford to license them you shouldn't own them. Do you even have insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: