Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That should read, "burning at the stake."

So let's talk briefly about Michael Servetus - a man who had the audacity to point out Calvin's anti-Biblical proposing of infant baptism.

On October 27, 1553, John "I'm acting just like Jesus" Calvin referred to Servetus as "villainous cur," and accused him of heresy. Calvin refused Servetus an advocate in court, and ordered that Servetus be burned at the stake, over green wood, so that it would take longer for him to die.

I have to wonder if John Calvin was wearing his "WWJD" bracelet that day.

He was wrong. What's the point? Is anyone here suggesting Calvin was right to do such a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultamerica View Post
I do wish I had more time to devout to this thread due to my unsuccessful search for a church in Omaha.
Gee, there's a surprise! Haven't been able to find a church that has successfully burned heretics at the stake recently?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Gee, there's a surprise! Haven't been able to find a church that has successfully burned heretics at the stake recently?
Actually, I've done a bit more research on it, and have found conflicting points regarding it.

This article seems to indicate that Calvin had little to do with the actual trial/execution. Of course, seeing as how it's been a few hundred years, it's difficult at this time to get a firm grip on the exact events that happened.

http://www.up.ac.za/dspace/bitstream...%282002%29.pdf

Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM

51 posts, read 76,688 times
There are several accounts of this event, what we would expect here is the version that paints Calvin as a horned creature. Now this version may be accurate, or it may be more evidence of Roman reconfiguration. I have heard it said that 5000 protestants were murdered by Rome during the inquisition, while 150,000 Roman Catholics were put to death by protestants.
I have also seen documentation which has Rome putting to death over 50 million non-papalists over the period of 605 years that Rome officially held to inquisitional standards of "justice". Burning at the stake was one of the more civil methods of death implemented by that "church" in those days by the way.
So which "facts" do you like? And if you choose the latter, as I do, then you may wonder if the popes were wearing their WWJD bracelet during these years?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:35 AM

I would say there is a modern burning of sorts, you will find it when arminian minded folk refer to Calvinist as heretics, and cultists with a smile on their faces.
"Had a man been an Arminian in those days he would have been accounted the vilest heretic breathing; but now we are looked upon as heretics, and they the orthadox." Charles Spurgeon

Old 02-26-2010, 11:43 AM

By the way, I will place one or two spelling errors per post out of compassion for those who are apparently unable to take on the actual substence of arguments posted. Call me sentimental.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
He was wrong. What's the point? Is anyone here suggesting Calvin was right to do such a thing?
Calvin was wrong about a lot of things.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I would say there is a modern burning of sorts, you will find it when arminian minded folk refer to Calvinist as heretics, and cultists with a smile on their faces.
"Had a man been an Arminian in those days he would have been accounted the vilest heretic breathing; but now we are looked upon as heretics, and they the orthadox." Charles Spurgeon
So... Disagreeing with crazy hyperbolic rhetoric is the same as burning somebody at the steak [sic]? Interesting.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 PM

In a "free" society the art of silencing your critics will take many forms, in the society of old it was rather simpul, made even more so when the world was teeming with sycophants, and shills to power, (some things never change). Persecution usually starts with words and then progresses.
Still not willing to take on a more challenging role than painting Calvin as the son of Set, or spell check extraordinaire? What of the issues, what of TULIP? Wouldn't you like to wade into a little deeper water?? I won't hold my breath, but I will continue to count on you for that spell check part.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
In a "free" society the art of silencing your critics will take many forms, in the society of old it was rather simpul, made even more so when the world was teeming with sycophants, and shills to power, (some things never change). Persecution usually starts with words and then progresses.
Still not willing to take on a more challenging role than painting Calvin as the son of Set, or spell check extraordinaire? What of the issues, what of TULIP? Wouldn't you like to wade into a little deeper water?? I won't hold my breath, but I will continue to count on you for that spell check part.
So we know that John Calvin was a hateful, murderous man that did not resemble Jesus in the way he behaved. Check.

But about TULIP... So what you believe is that God chooses those who go to heaven and those who go to hell, it is predestined, and there's nothing we can do about it. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha