Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 PM

51 posts, read 76,483 times

Advertisements

You say "we know that John Calvin...", I don't sense a willingness to debate in earnest here.
Instead of this tit for tat, why don't you write your defense of the arminian position, and I will then do my best to knock it down. Sound reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:09 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,619,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultamerica View Post
You say "we know that John Calvin...", I don't sense a willingness to debate in earnest here.
Instead of this tit for tat, why don't you write your defense of the arminian position, and I will then do my best to knock it down. Sound reasonable?
Arminian position?

What are you drinking?

Are you not man enough to answer the question posed in Post #60?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM

TULIP was a response to Gaius Julius Arminius, as you know. Those who have a problem with Calvin take to heart at least one or two of the Arminian points, and hence find Calvin to be a dirty rotten scoundrel, who had nothing to do with the death of Arminius by the way. If we can open our eyes a little we will see that these differences are at the very heart of Biblical truth. One bearing a stong resemblance to the Roman Catholic tradition, the other, in my humble opinion the truth that our Creator intended us to know.
So do carrie on...

Old 02-26-2010, 02:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,829,250 times
Interesting, as an outside observer of this conversation, I'll admit to finding a strange humor in reading two christians disagreeing about which form of mythology is the better.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM

Sit back a while you might learn something that will pay off for you...in the long run that is.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM

704 posts, read 1,867,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Interesting, as an outside observer of this conversation, I'll admit to finding a strange humor in reading two christians disagreeing about which form of mythology is the better.

"Ha Ha"

(in the voice of Nelson Muntz)

Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
TULIP was a response to Gaius Julius Arminius, as you know.
That might be a little tough to sell, considering that Jacobus Arminius was only 4-year old when Calvin died.

Those who have a problem with Calvin take to heart at least one or two of the Arminian points, and hence find Calvin to be a dirty rotten scoundrel, who had nothing to do with the death of Arminius by the way.
This would be true. Calvin didn't kill anybody after he died.

If we can open our eyes a little we will see that these differences are at the very heart of Biblical truth.
Could be...

One bearing a stong resemblance to the Roman Catholic tradition, the other, in my humble opinion the truth that our Creator intended us to know.
In your "humble" opinion? Doesn't seem very humble to me - especially coming from a guy who claims to know "the truth that our Creator intended us to know."

So do carrie on...
What am I supposed to carrie [sic] on? All I need to do is sit back and let you talk.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Sit back a while you might learn something that will pay off for you...in the long run that is.
Actually, it's predestined that he either will or won't be saved, right? So him learning - or not learning - something has absolutely nothing to do with anything, right?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Well the red letters have come out. That must mean things are getting interesting.
I am glad to know we are on the same Arminius page, and that we know the age of Calvin during the death of Arminius. Do we agree that Calvin was responding to the followers of Jake Arminius? Yes he was popular, even after being denounced by protestants as a heretic. There never seems to be a shortage of followers. So Calvin in good conscience drew up some points from the Bible that would shed light on why this was in fact heresy. This came to be know in brief as the ever famous acrostic TULIP, and I'm sure there is no point going over the points here, but I was curious which of those, if any you have a problem with. All or just the part you tend to make jokes about?
But I say was curious. My curiosity has grown cold due to the statement above, and an earlier post, "You better find some Bible verses that specifically say that the pastor is the head elder. Actually, I'll make it easy for you: There's no Scriptural support for that." #32. When confronted with very good material it was ignored, and the debate raged on, until the red letters came out. How to deal with such force of will? Time after all is a valuable commodity, and the web has no shortage of individuals such as yourself who will continue ad infinitum until they have taken down their opponent (actually wore them down by attrition, but good enough for some). What better thing to do than go to the source and leave it at that.

Last edited by cultamerica; 02-26-2010 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: format error

Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 PM

Romans Chapter 8
28: And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.
29: For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30: Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31: What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32: He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha