Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,509,377 times

Advertisements

"Though Nebraska's 82,000 black residents make up about 4.5 percent of the state's 1.8 million population, blacks have accounted for nearly 40 percent of the state's homicide victims over the past three years. In Omaha, 55.5 percent of the homicide victims in that time were black.
A black Nebraska resident during that span was 18 times more likely to be a victim of homicide than a white resident. That black-white disparity is much wider in Nebraska than the nation, where blacks are about seven times more likely to be a homicide victim."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100221/NEWS01/702219915

Not so good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM

226 posts, read 975,284 times
I didn't know The Neb had blacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
"Though Nebraska's 82,000 black residents make up about 4.5 percent of the state's 1.8 million population, blacks have accounted for nearly 40 percent of the state's homicide victims over the past three years. In Omaha, 55.5 percent of the homicide victims in that time were black.
A black Nebraska resident during that span was 18 times more likely to be a victim of homicide than a white resident. That black-white disparity is much wider in Nebraska than the nation, where blacks are about seven times more likely to be a homicide victim."

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: Metro/Region - Epidemic of poverty, violence

Not so good...

Old 02-23-2010, 06:14 AM

704 posts, read 1,863,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post

Thanks for stopping by. That was enlightening

Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,565,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
Well now you do.

And here's another little tidbit. About 90% of them live in North Omaha.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,509,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Thanks for stopping by. That was enlightening
Lol. Yeah, what a stupid comment.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM

737 posts, read 1,908,373 times
Can't we all just get along??????

Old 04-01-2010, 12:51 PM

54 posts, read 141,310 times
This is due to Omaha's "super" segregation. This goes back to how the city was planned to move minorities both pre and prior civil rights.

Also Omaha's recent crime rate, for the size of city is alarming.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,565,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senrab+Omaha=MissingChica View Post
This is due to Omaha's "super" segregation. This goes back to how the city was planned to move minorities both pre and prior civil rights.

Also Omaha's recent crime rate, for the size of city is alarming.
Pfffftttt... Whatever.

This is due to gangs and drugs. It has nothing to do with some super-secretive segregation plan. That's absurd.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 PM

54 posts, read 141,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Pfffftttt... Whatever.

This is due to gangs and drugs. It has nothing to do with some super-secretive segregation plan. That's absurd.
I never said it was secretive. And it is NOT absurd. I am from the Chicagoland area and there are the same issues with high concentration of crime in areas that were "sectioned" off after civil rights in the 60's.

Any place where people have below average education (and it is my understanding that North was below average until the past 5-7 years), with little white collar type jobs, will have disproportionate crime rates. Need examples?? let's see....

Omaha
Chicago
Philly
Cincy
Cleveland
Newark
Houston (this also has to do w/proximity to border)
St. Louis

I mean it happens. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but look @ areas of high crime in a mid/large city and those two constants are ALWAYS the same. Regardless of race.

Lexington, NE had one of the highest relative crime rate until the cencus of 2000, and it's a small town. Average @ best education system, and very few high paying jobs.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:18 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,183,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senrab+Omaha=MissingChica View Post
I never said it was secretive. And it is NOT absurd. I am from the Chicagoland area and there are the same issues with high concentration of crime in areas that were "sectioned" off after civil rights in the 60's.

Any place where people have below average education (and it is my understanding that North was below average until the past 5-7 years), with little white collar type jobs, will have disproportionate crime rates. Need examples?? let's see....

Omaha
Chicago
Philly
Cincy
Cleveland
Newark
Houston (this also has to do w/proximity to border)
St. Louis

I mean it happens. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but look @ areas of high crime in a mid/large city and those two constants are ALWAYS the same. Regardless of race.

Lexington, NE had one of the highest relative crime rate until the cencus of 2000, and it's a small town. Average @ best education system, and very few high paying jobs.
EDIT: I misread your post. What is true is what is true

Last edited by Omahahonors; 04-01-2010 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha