Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 16,527 times

Advertisements

Been looking at Omaha for some time now and considering moving there with my fiance. We are in New Jersey now but can see a wonderful quality of life in Omaha.

What about Camden Grove? Village Point? Other good places?

Elkhorn Schools?

Thanks for any/all suggestions and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
If you're coming from New Jersey your definition of what's expensive may not be the same as our's. You'd likely get more house than you're used to for the money.

Elkhorn is good, as is Millard.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM

84 posts, read 226,317 times
I live in Millard and moved here in June...first time being away from "home" and didn't know what to expect...Omaha is the hidden gem of the Midwest if not the US IMO...but it depends what you are specifically looking for in a city...I don't have much for knowledge on the surrounding areas but I hope it works out for you!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,851 times
Any place west of 120th Street and south of Dodge Street, you will find a haven.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,273 times
West Omaha is Cupcake Land.

"Cupcake Land is a metropolis built entirely according to the developer's plan, without the interference of angry proles or ethnic pols as in nearby Kansas City (or Omaha in this case). Cupcake Land encourages no culture but that which increases property values; supports no learning but that which burnishes the brand; hears no opinions but those that will further fatten the cupcake elite; tolerates no rebellion but that expressed in haircuts and piercings and alternative rock. You know what it's like even though you haven't been there. Smooth jazz. Hallmark cards. Applebees. Corporate Woods. Its greatest civic holiday is the turning-on of the Christmas lights at a nearby shopping center -- an event so inspirational to the cupcake mind that the mall thus illuminated has been rendered in paint by none other than Thomas Kinkade."

As described by Thomas Frank in; What's the Matter with Kansas? A great book for all persuasions.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM

48 posts, read 103,667 times
There really aren't neighborhoods - there are developments and subdivisions. West Omaha is really just the suburbs. There are really neither good nor bad areas - it is all the same. The question is more what school district do you want to be in, how close do you want to be work, how close do you want to be to your favorite strip mall, and what shade of beige do you want your neighborhood to be painted. That being said, the 'burbs begin at about 72nd street and then sprawl out from there. With few exceptions, the higher the street number, the newer the housing.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelaw08 View Post
There really aren't neighborhoods - there are developments and subdivisions. West Omaha is really just the suburbs. There are really neither good nor bad areas - it is all the same. The question is more what school district do you want to be in, how close do you want to be work, how close do you want to be to your favorite strip mall, and what shade of beige do you want your neighborhood to be painted. That being said, the 'burbs begin at about 72nd street and then sprawl out from there. With few exceptions, the higher the street number, the newer the housing.
Yep.

I'm really not a western suburbs kind of guy myself. Strip malls and shades of beige are a great way of describing them.

Personally, I'm far more interested in the atmosphere of eastern Omaha. I love the older houses, huge trees, and activity.

But... to each his own.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times
East Omaha is Crimeland.

“Crimeland is an inner city area built years ago but has since suffered from years of dilapidation and societal decay. It was destroyed by uneducated ethnic minorities at the expense of the last surviving majorities. (or in this case, the white elderly)
Crimeland encourages a disgusting culture which has since decreased property values; supports no learning and cannot afford the brand; hears plenty of screams and cries which will further fuel more violence and fatten the strength of the gangs and drug pushers; a society of rebellion and crime expressed through gang tagging, baggy pants around the ankles and dirty, trashy, womanizing rap music. You know what it’s like because you’ve seen it on COPS. Drug shops under the guise of barber shops. Boarded up buildings. Spray painted bridges and overpasses. Absolutely no commerce to speak of. It’s greatest civic holiday is any day that goes by without a homicide – an event so inspirational to the Crimeland mind they are able to justify the existence of such a grungy and morally inept neighborhood they live in.”

As described by me, trying to be just as judgemental and intolerant as the inner city residents.

-Jays

Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelaw08 View Post
I find this funny, as well. All communities regardless of how old they are were planned communities. Some neighborhoods with the largest property boundaries are east of 680.

I'm also pretty sure there are strip malls all the way from the Westroads to downtown. Hell, the entire dodge st. corridor is a strip mall. Saddle creek is a ****ing strip mall. There are strip malls all the way up 24th st. The entire south 24th st. corridor is a ****ing strip mall.

Look people, I'm all for smart growth and anti-sprawl, but your sentiments toward west Omaha are bull****. The same inefficient planning can be found all around Omaha.

If you prefer old homes and large trees, then I respect that. Many people would rather news homes with warranties and better efficiencies. They would rather wider roads and larger vehicles for their families.

As mentioned above, "to each their own."

Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM

704 posts, read 1,872,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
East Omaha is Crimeland.

“Crimeland is an inner city area built years ago but has since suffered from years of dilapidation and societal decay. It was destroyed by uneducated ethnic minorities at the expense of the last surviving majorities. (or in this case, the white elderly)
Crimeland encourages a disgusting culture which has since decreased property values; supports no learning and cannot afford the brand; hears plenty of screams and cries which will further fuel more violence and fatten the strength of the gangs and drug pushers; a society of rebellion and crime expressed through gang tagging, baggy pants around the ankles and dirty, trashy, womanizing rap music. You know what it’s like because you’ve seen it on COPS. Drug shops under the guise of barber shops. Boarded up buildings. Spray painted bridges and overpasses. Absolutely no commerce to speak of. It’s greatest civic holiday is any day that goes by without a homicide – an event so inspirational to the Crimeland mind they are able to justify the existence of such a grungy and morally inept neighborhood they live in.”

As described by me, trying to be just as judgemental and intolerant as the inner city residents.

-Jays

I gotta hand it to you. That is truly offensive. I like what you did there. I don't agree with any of it, but I can tell you put some thought into it and I like that. All I did was copy and paste something someone else wrote. You can really claim that for your own. Kudo's!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha