Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times

Advertisements

Such a great city with great weather, parks, restaurants, people, things to do, etc...

Sigh...I'm so glad I got my job here! I know when I move in a few years, I will miss it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 01:44 PM

193 posts, read 656,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Such a great city with great weather, parks, restaurants, people, things to do, etc...

Sigh...I'm so glad I got my job here! I know when I move in a few years, I will miss it!
With the exception of weather, I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawJ View Post
With the exception of weather, I agree wholeheartedly.
Hey now, there aren't many other places in this country that quite have the variety of weather that Omaha has!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:11 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Lol, see ShawJ's comment.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 AM

119 posts, read 438,834 times
I love Omaha too... but it sounds like you had a very good day to prompt this glowing post. Care to elaborate??

Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 AM

119 posts, read 438,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Hey now, there aren't many other places in this country that quite have the variety of weather that Omaha has!
The current weather is not the typical Omaha/Nebraska variety. We are not used to this much snow cover for this long, and so few days of balmy weather.

Its gonna be a heatwave this weekend though! Perfect time to break up the glaciers in my driveway and sidewalks!!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM

54 posts, read 141,695 times
For the size Omaha can be interesting and has decent curltural (art wise) stuff to do. The # of parks is GREAT.

Also I think the weather is accurate for the Midwest. Remember, this was a bad winter for the US in general. The year we moved here they had just broken the record for snow cover and that was only a couple years ago.

Other things that makes Omaha good: Proximity to KC, Des Moines, Chicago and Denver by flight. And the almighty cost of living!!! LOL

Old 04-01-2010, 11:43 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senrab+Omaha=MissingChica View Post
For the size Omaha can be interesting and has decent curltural (art wise) stuff to do. The # of parks is GREAT.

Also I think the weather is accurate for the Midwest. Remember, this was a bad winter for the US in general. The year we moved here they had just broken the record for snow cover and that was only a couple years ago.

Other things that makes Omaha good: Proximity to KC, Des Moines, Chicago and Denver by flight. And the almighty cost of living!!! LOL
This and Omaha really has about everything you would look for, and the city is growing quite nicely.

In reality, Omaha and Lincoln have evolved into each other enough to warrant the viewpoint of a single CSA of 1.2 million people and again is growing.

BTW: I am a little biased, but I absolutely love it here. When i hear about people complaining that they are bored, I ask them what is it they want to do. And with a little direction they find that we have it here and usually in abundance. We certainly do not have 8,000,000 people in the metro area that Chicago does, but that doesn't mean that the average Chicagoan will find more than enough from their previous lifestyle here. (Taking away pro sports, and adding a Division I powerhouse college team).

Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

54 posts, read 141,695 times
As exciting as college sports can be and the heart with which they play, I like the athletic abilities of pros any day over college, though I am a Husker by marriage. Wrigley field is American sports history, and Wrigleyville is fun if bar hopping is your thing. But Bulls, Sox, Cubs, Hawks (go Hawks!), Bears, even Fire, Wolves, Rush, etc, etc, etc would supercede the Huskers singular short season.

I still see a seperation in Lincoln and Omaha, though in 5-10 years I would consider them nearly bordering if the growth continues west along the interstate as it is, and has been. I know Gretna was posting the states highest growth rate for awhile here recently.

I am biased also. But I can tell you that Chicago DOES have more art, 2 of the best museums in the country, many more music choices and venues, more theatre, etc, etc. I do not know if the overall quality is much better, but the potential is. Also Omaha does NOT have a lake front, or true Grant Park equivilent which is utilized the whole summer long.

That being said, Omaha ROCKS compared to similar sized market as far as acessability to culture (though mainly art and music, and only if you have a car).

I don't know if I love it yet (my wife is kind of a hater, though she is from central NE herself), but it grows on ya. If my wife keep on having the success that we are career wise, and they truly develop the ENTIRE downtown and midtown areas as they should, then I could grow to love it!! LOL. It is a great place though.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:14 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senrab+Omaha=MissingChica View Post
As exciting as college sports can be and the heart with which they play, I like the athletic abilities of pros any day over college, though I am a Husker by marriage. Wrigley field is American sports history, and Wrigleyville is fun if bar hopping is your thing. But Bulls, Sox, Cubs, Hawks (go Hawks!), Bears, even Fire, Wolves, Rush, etc, etc, etc would supercede the Huskers singular short season.

I still see a seperation in Lincoln and Omaha, though in 5-10 years I would consider them nearly bordering if the growth continues west along the interstate as it is, and has been. I know Gretna was posting the states highest growth rate for awhile here recently.

I am biased also. But I can tell you that Chicago DOES have more art, 2 of the best museums in the country, many more music choices and venues, more theatre, etc, etc. I do not know if the overall quality is much better, but the potential is. Also Omaha does NOT have a lake front, or true Grant Park equivilent which is utilized the whole summer long.

That being said, Omaha ROCKS compared to similar sized market as far as acessability to culture (though mainly art and music, and only if you have a car).

I don't know if I love it yet (my wife is kind of a hater, though she is from central NE herself), but it grows on ya. If my wife keep on having the success that we are career wise, and they truly develop the ENTIRE downtown and midtown areas as they should, then I could grow to love it!! LOL. It is a great place though.
I understand, being that you are from Chicago it is a relative thing. The same thing can be said for people from a small town. Small town people first start out with memories of their previous location and grow saddened.

After a while these people tend to grow into the city and learn and appreciate the level of opportunities as well as any limitations from their previous experience.

Omaha is different from Chicago in many ways as it is quite different from Peoria, IL is many ways as well.

Omaha has a lot of puch for its size economically, visually, opportunity-wise and recreation wise. We are recognized by many publicists as a top notch city against any US city. But being that both Chicago and Omaha are different demographically, they bring unique circumstances that are just too different.

Omaha is growing, and since we are growing there is another level of opportunity for career growth that is needed.

The beauty of our growth is derived from business and family needs, and within the last 15 years we have grown into a good art, music and entertainment city.

That said, we are different than Chicago in many ways for better or for worse. The luxury Omaha has right now is the ability to define its future as it continually grows quickly. So far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha