Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,911 times

Advertisements

idea:

how bout cutting the ops board from 12 members to 10 would be a good idea.

seriously, why not merge 2 school board areas of ops with 2 others. I mean the teachers and staff at the schools unlike the school board actually does work.

district 11 could be merged into the 12 and 10 districts (split evenly district 11 among both areas)

and districts 3 and 4 could be merged into one. I nominate district 3 take over district 4 since they are the smallest of the board districts besides district 11

Omaha Public Schools - Board of Education - Subdistricts

================================================== ======

Schools perched on funding cliff

Teachers, assistant principals and teacher trainers could be laid off for the first time in Omaha Public Schools history.

The layoffs could lead to more elementary classrooms with students of mixed grade levels and to elementary schools losing assistant principals or the trainers who help struggling teachers.

The Omaha school board Monday voted 12-0 to start the process to decide which and how many of its 8,224 employees might lose their jobs over the next two years.

In addition to teachers and assistant principals, teacher aides, bus drivers, food service workers and maintenance staff could be let go.

The district has laid off such workers, called noncertified staff, in tight economic times. But it has not laid off teachers. Instead, OPS has relied on retirements and attrition to eliminate teaching positions when needed.

more... Schools perched on funding cliff - Omaha.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:28 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,080 times
I'm not really sure that cutting 2 board members will save much money.

I know its popular to bash the school board but they don't do it for money. I think if you'd look at their effective pay per hour worked they make much less than teachers and staff.

Don't quote me on it but I think their salary is pretty low. I'm basing this more off of my experience in other communities, but I'd be surprised if Omaha was much different. I'm guessing they make less than 20K per year.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 AM

mattpoulsen, you are right. they do it for power.

look how long Jensen and Kratky and Tyree and Huston and McGregor have been on the board. decades.

heck, didnt one of the ops board members died in office last year of old age

some ops board members are on there for too long and their needs to be term limits.

same goes for the other school districts boards too.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 PM

I generally think term limits are a bad thing. We already have term limits. They're called elections. Clearly their constituents think they're generally doing a pretty ok job, or at least better than any alternative.

I think term limits in the unicam has generally turned out to be a bad thing.

Doing things like running a large school district takes some experience. I don't think you gain anything by forcing someone out with 2 or 3 decades of experience and replacing him/her with someone with no experience when you're doing it just for term limits sake.

I think when you're talking about the presidency of the U.S its a different story as he/she has the ability to consolidate power and you run the risk of turning into a pseudo monarchy. That problem doesn't exist in the legislative branches as the power is distributed over a great number of people. Same goes for the school board. I don't see a risk of consolidation of power in this case. So term limits are basically a way to force someone out that you don't like, which to me is anti-democratic.

At any rate, I just don't think cutting the board down or instituting term limits would help the budget crisis.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I generally think term limits are a bad thing. We already have term limits. They're called elections. Clearly their constituents think they're generally doing a pretty ok job, or at least better than any alternative.

I think term limits in the unicam has generally turned out to be a bad thing.
I agree.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
In theory, you're right. However, in practice, incumbency has a huge advantage. That said, term limits don't seem to work either. People jsut keep on running for different offices. Maybe there's another solution that no one has thought of yet.

Do the board members get paid?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 PM

The board members do get paid, but not very much as far as I know. I can't seem to find their salary info but based on what I know from other districts and the salaries of state legislators and etc., I'm guessing it's less than 20K.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 AM

what do you bosco?

you want a anti-semite like Ernie Chambers back in the state legislature

term limits is good cause we have some people who seem it is their right to have a almost lifetime position for whatever they are elected to

seriously, thanks to term limits we get some new ideas and bright new faces in the unicameral.

if term limits work for the president, they are okay for other elected offices. that and do we want a Hugo Chavez like govt. were people can run non-stop or basically hold a office for life

the school boards (who most of the seats in ops) run unoppossed could use term limits

that or maybe in 2012 there become people who are comptent and good at running against

Jensen and Morrissey and Drickey and Borer and Gray and Huston

cause the folks who ran against Huston and Drickey and Jensen in 2008 were a joke when it came to their campaigns.

(no offense to Ryan Hinsley and Molly Hunt-Spisak and Greg Mahloch who maybe reading this. I was hoping you guys would have won but your campaigns were terrible.

I btw hope you plan to run again in 2012, you try to have a better campaign this time around

Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM

OPS could cut 224 jobs

OPS could cut 224 jobs - Omaha.com

Old 03-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Billie,

You might not like Ernie Chambers but his constituents sure did! Why shouldn't they be allowed to elect who they want?

Term limits serve a different purpose in the case of the Presidency. There is no risk of a congressperson or state legislator of consolidating large amounts of power and basically taking over the government. That risk does exist for a perpetually elected President.

The only reason term limits is argued in the case of legislatures is as you put it "to bring in new faces and ideas." Well, I don't think that's a bad thing but when you're doing that you're taking someone else's right away to vote for the person that was already there. Let the voters decide.

To me, term limits simply creates a situation where you constantly have relatively junior members in place with little practical experience. To me its a recipe for a lot of bad legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha