Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 04:47 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times

Advertisements

Videos vie for Obama at commencement
By Joe Dejka
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
« Metro/RegionRSS SHARE
Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter PRINT EMAIL

A video of grooving cafeteria workers, rambunctious sports fans and other antics around the Millard West High School campus is on its way to President Barack Obama.

Millard West students are vying with seniors from other high schools around the country, including Papillion-La Vista South, to persuade the president to speak at their graduation this spring.

The students entered the Race to the Top High School Commencement Challenge, sponsored by the White House and U.S. Department of Education. Students must submit a video and a series of essays talking up their school.

Senior Rodney Hannor, who edited Millard West's video, is an Obama fan.

Advertising
“It would be awesome to see him,” Hannor said. “It would be a great privilege, something I can pass on to my kids. I can tell them, ‘Hey, Obama spoke at our graduation. We were the high school he picked.'”

Hannor said he shook Obama's hand in 2008 when, as a candidate, Obama visited Nebraska for the Democratic caucuses. Hannor said his family is very into politics. His mom and younger brother went to Obama's inauguration, he said.

Senior Jack Sullivan, who directed Millard West's video, saw Obama in Iowa, when he was campaigning. For the video, the students came in on a Saturday and worked extra hours to complete the video. David Smith, also a senior, was photographer and helped track down video clips.

“We wanted to show that our school has a really good culture, that it's really fun here,” Sullivan said.

The video is a mix of still images and action set to music.

“I felt like we got everyone in at the school. We got the lunch ladies, we got the administration. I wish we got the security, but we didn't. I think they're a little upset about that.”

One clip even shows a vice principal in charge of discipline boogying down.

Sullivan said a visit from Obama “would make our graduation one of the best experiences.”

The Millard West and Papillion-La Vista South videos are posted on YouTube.com.

more on this story is at...

Videos vie for Obama at commencement - Omaha.com

YouTube - Millard West Obama Project

YouTube - Papio South Obama Project

classreport websites for Millard West and Papio South (free plug for them)

Papillion-La Vista South High School*-*Class Reunion Websites

Millard West High School*-*Class Reunion Websites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM

btw:

if Obama speaks at Millard West, it might make up for the school's goodbye for the class of 2009 (see video below)

(I btw am a Omaha North high grad)

YouTube - LKShortay13 - Dancing Teachers of Millard West

Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
What's kind of funny is that both these schools are primarily upper-middle class white kids. It feels like they're more concerned about what it'd do for their image, if President Obama spoke, than anything he actually said.

If he wanted to do some thing worthwhile, he'd speak at the commencement of either Omaha Central or Omaha North - probably North. THAT would make sense to me.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
What's kind of funny is that both these schools are primarily upper-middle class white kids. It feels like they're more concerned about what it'd do for their image, if President Obama spoke, than anything he actually said.

If he wanted to do some thing worthwhile, he'd speak at the commencement of either Omaha Central or Omaha North - probably North. THAT would make sense to me.

Omaha North (the school I graduated from in the late 1990's) i would see as a better fit than Millard West or Papio South

Millard West has always been snooty and too preepy. I know even Omaha Westside grads thinks Millard West thinks they are too white and preppy and that is saying something.

Omaha Benson or Omaha South I would also see as good fits for this video contest. same with Omaha Bryan

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-23-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,763 times
He's everyone's president. White kids are no less deserving than anyone else.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
He's everyone's president. White kids are no less deserving than anyone else.
you got a point.

btw: just remember Millard South and Millard North, even if Millard West wins

you guys still have famous football and baseball and UFC competitors who are grads of your school

M. west has Chris Klein from the american pie movies as their most famous alum. and also they have the video in post 2 of this post.

Millard North High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Millard South High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Millard West High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: