Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Please don’t get me wrong, I like Millard area I go there all the time for shopping but I’d never live there. To me, it lacks personality and character.
You know... as in 'Breaking news, some personality shot 3 characters in east Omaha today, details at 10.'.

Seriously though... if you're looking for a good compromise between the 'character' of east Omaha and the amenities of west Omaha... take a look at the Sunset Hills neighborhood in District 66 (96th and Pacific area). A great neighborhood!... and still affordable/quality housing to be found! Outstanding school district!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 04:27 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The Millard School District is nationally recognized as very good. We also have several very good private schools, if you so choose.

Try to stay to the Western edge of Omaha for the best neighborhoods, nicest areas of town. Yes, there are some very good areas further east--but as a general rule, West is best.
If you want cookie-cutter middle-class white vanilla, that is true.

Also, the Millard School District is primarily a legend in the minds of those in the district. People outside the Millard School District are a little more objective about it.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,490 times
The facts don't lie... consistently the highest ACT/SAT composites in the metro... most national merit semi-finalists... scholarships awarded... the only IB programs in the metro... the only public school Montessori program.

White vanilla? You know diversity is great... and Millard has plenty, thanks to option enrollment. But quite frankly, in some parts of the metro, there comes a time when too much diversity seems to have become a liability in schools. No offense.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheO! View Post
Hi there! I’m new to this forum but not to Omaha so hopefully I can help. I too have been lurking and reading here for awhile before I decided to jump in and post.

Omaha actually isn’t all that flat. Sure we don’t have mountains but it’s really a hilly place, I think it’s one of the hilliest in the country. The hills aren’t huge but when your driving up and down hills all the time you’ll see what I mean.
While I agree that Omaha is hilly, especially on the east side, there are quite a few other contenders for hilliest in the country: Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and many others.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
The facts don't lie... consistently the highest ACT/SAT composites in the metro... most national merit semi-finalists... scholarships awarded... the only IB programs in the metro... the only public school Montessori program.

White vanilla? You know diversity is great... and Millard has plenty, thanks to option enrollment. But quite frankly, in some parts of the metro, there comes a time when too much diversity seems to have become a liability in schools. No offense.
Actually, the only place you'll get that information is from the Millard School District.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM

48 posts, read 103,658 times
In regard to the west is best comment, west Omaha is the same as any suburban atmosphere in America. Strip malls full of national chains and subdivisions full of identical houses. If you have asthetic taste, you will want to tear out your eyes and you and your wife will become depressed alcoholics in a matter of weeks.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,810 times
You will probably find a lot of similarities between Omaha and Grand Rapids. Both are the metropolitan centers of their respective areas, both have similar sized population, and both are mostly booming with a few declining areas.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:33 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,465 times
You know, why is it we constantly have to debate about what freaking part of Omaha is superior??

I go out of my way to not offend east Omaha. Yet, any time ANYONE mentions anything positive about west Omaha I instantly see about 4 messages with snide comments about the "cookie cutter" aspects of it or the artificial "legend" of its school systems. That or you're attacking the kids for being "spoiled" and/or on drugs.

Well, I love all of Omaha. And I'm sorry, but west Omaha does have excellent schools. As stargazer pointed out, numbers don't lie. That does not imply that OPS has poor schools, but why do some feel it necessary to tear down Millard, Elkhorn, Westside, Papio and etc. in order to feel secure with your district?

And why exactly are people outside of Millard more objective about Millard??? Its pretty clear you have an anti-west Omaha bias, which is completely fine, but don't suggest for a second that your opinion is any more objective than mine or stargazers.

Its as though we are suppose to be apologetic for liking our neighborhoods and our children's education. It just gets old.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 04-08-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 02:37 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,408 times
It also gets old having some of the west Omaha contingent always painting the picture of east omaha as being full of crack-whores, degenerates, lousy schools, and gangs. I understand where you are coming from Matt, but the coin does have two sides. I think that many of the comments were made in response to certain posters blanket statements about east Omaha in this thread and in others.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,465 times
I actually think a lot of people seem to think a positive statement about west Omaha implies a negative opinion of east Omaha. There are a few on here that as soon as someone says Millard has a good school instantly get defensive and try to tear Millard down. And the statement will be completely devoid of any reference to east Omaha.

The truth is North Omaha does have a gang/crime problem. No one would deny that. Sure that gets discussed. But some seem to then take that discussion as an insult to all of east Omaha. To me, its not even an indictment of Omaha North High School, which is a good school. Its simply a statement that parts of North Omaha have major issues with gang's.

I also won't deny Millard has a lot of cookie cutter houses. But people live there because they choose too! Good schools, newer neighborhoods, open space, less congestion, less serious crime, and access to the things they want. Now, someone else may be happier in east Omaha. Why would I be offended by that?

I just wish everybody (on both sides) would quit with the childish crap and realize this does no one any good. Its like arguing which is better: an apple or a skateboard?

I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha