Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times

Advertisements

Well Bohemian food is Czech and not Polish like borscht or pirogies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 PM

30 posts, read 37,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Well Bohemian food is Czech and not Polish like borscht or pirogies.
Yeah, but it is still western slavic, so I felt there was some comparison, though I don't know how czech food differs but I assume its not always too dissimilar.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahole View Post
Yeah, but it is still western slavic, so I felt there was some comparison, though I don't know how czech food differs but I assume its not always too dissimilar.
They're simply both West Slavic languages, and you assume wrong actually.

Czech food is usually heavily meat oriented and is pretty simple.

Polish food on the other hand is incredibly diverse, pulling influences from all over Europe, even as far as Italy and Turkey. You have to remember that for a very long period of time before WWII Poland was the most diverse nation on the planet which had a huge impact on its food.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM

30 posts, read 37,636 times
Well, language groups/cultures, especially ones sharing borders, tend to have intermingling. Borcz and pierogies aren't exclusively Polish, for example...

While Polish food no doubt has influences from all over Europe, I don't know if I'd agree that Poland was the most diverse nation on the planet. Pre-WWII I would've assumed Britain or the US was.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 PM

If you were going for the Polish spelling its Barszcz and pre WWII these were the cultures of Poland

Not to mention the huge minority Jewish and Roma populations and the prevalent Silesian and Slokian populations in the South. Plus, when Poland was a world superpower as Poland-Lithuania it was most definitely the most diverse nation in the world in part because its democratic system supported the religious and ethnic minorities, which created a diverse array of cuisine different from the Czech culture under the Austrian Empire.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahole View Post
I know of many Poles who left during the Soviet years, most living in South Omaha. I suppose South O had a larger slavic population in the past, but with the Mexican influx its probably not as large anymore.

Any good Slavic food in Omaha? I only know of the Bohemian Cafe, but eating there with 2 Poland-born Poles, none of us were satisfied with it.
Not really, the closest you can get outside of the Bohemian Cafe is a new German restaurant in Bellevue called 'Zum Biergarden' While German food is a bit different from Czech food, there are many similarities.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingeurope View Post
I am looking to connect to people from Ukraine, Russia, or other nearby countries in Eastern Europe who are in Omaha or the Omaha area. Or other people interested in this culture or speak the language who are Americans. Where can I look in Omaha to find this? I miss this culture and language and I want to make connections to others who feel the same here. It seems very difficult - help!
Hi how can I help? I I live in Russia.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
Write to lichku OK, if I can help

Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingeurope View Post
I am looking to connect to people from Ukraine, Russia, or other nearby countries in Eastern Europe who are in Omaha or the Omaha area. Or other people interested in this culture or speak the language who are Americans. Where can I look in Omaha to find this? I miss this culture and language and I want to make connections to others who feel the same here. It seems very difficult - help!
This is in Downtown Lincoln lots of people from the old country!
AHSGR - Homepage

Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
is there russian stores or places to shop at in omaha or lincoln

just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha