Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 AM

22 posts, read 99,181 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have been to Lincoln quite a few times, and went recently to O St on a Friday night, and it was quite crazy - the street was packed and bustling, alive. Anyways, I've been to Omaha a few times, and I don't seem to yet have found any place as alive and bustling as Lincoln's O St on a Friday night - where is Omaha's equivalent, or is there not one?

YouTube - Walking downtown, O St, Lincoln, Nebraska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
Old Market. It's probably not the same, but it's a good Friday night destination. I haven't been to Lincoln's O Street on Friday night. I'll have to watch your video later, it's blocked at work.

http://www.oldmarket.com/

Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,809 times
where you were didn't really look very bustling... The old market every day of the weekend is much busier.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM

22 posts, read 99,181 times
yeah that video doesn't really show it well, haha. And the Old Market is like the Haymarket in Lincoln, literally almost the same thing, shops, quaint cafes, restaurants, etc. Check it out!
Here is a better video of O Street that really shows it!

YouTube - 'O' Street Lincoln, Nebraska

Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM

109 posts, read 257,129 times
Lincoln is a college town. The O Street corridor has bars that pander to college students. Omaha is not a college town, UNO is mostly a commuter school and Creighton is very small. Unlike Lincoln, Omaha does not have a large concentration of a student population in one particular area of town, which is why O Street has a lot of bars and the times I have been there it was mostly students. There is a more diverse crowd in Omaha (diverse in age, occupation, and families with children) which does not go out drinking as much. The few times I was on O Street I had to watch where I stepped (lots of drunk students), which did not bother me because I was a student visiting friends who attended UNL. Now that I am older, not a student anymore, with a family, I would rather not go to a place like O Street, when I have to pay $8-$10/hour to a babysitter. To make a long story short Omaha does not have a place like O Street. Same can probably be said when comparing Des Moines to Iowa City.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
I went to college in Lincoln and now live in Omaha so I think I'm pretty objective.

First, the Old Market "everyday of the weekend" is not like O St. on the weekends. Its not even close! If you've been in downtown Lincoln on the weekends (unless it was an off weekend in the summer) it gets pretty nuts. That said, I think on the weekends the Old Market compares, but probably is a less "college-y," more responsible, and a bit more sophisticated. But the old market can get plenty crazy in its own right. It just doesn't quite reach the same spring break like atmosphere, which isn't a bad thing!

Also, I would say that the Old Market is quite a bit more robust than the haymarket. I like the haymarket but I think the old market just has quite a bit more stores and restaurants.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,722 times
Thank god... the Old Market is nothing like O Street (and thankfully, nothing like Haymarket either).

Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 PM

175 posts, read 441,913 times
Dodge near Crossroads used to be like that with people hanging around on weekends all the time but they banned it since it got out of control. I'd say any place with a number of stores within walking distance would be that way on weekends.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,722 times
O Street is about drunk college students. Dodge Street was about bored teenagers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: