Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,671,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly, your attempt at changing how we define it is frankly tiring. Bottom line is you have a choice to be sexually active or not. And it's not always tied to married, hetero or homo. There are many many couples (hetero) that choose never to marry. What is it exactly that differentiates a homosexual from hetero? Is there something that the law can look at? Should 2 straight guys be able to marry? How EXACTLY do we legislate it?

No...I'm not calling you a pedophile, but there are millions of men in this world that think it's not a choice either--but we don't make excuses for their behavior or try to give them legal routes by which to practice it.
Well how EXACTLY did Iowa, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington DC legislate it?

By the way, we account for about 11 percent of humanity. And love is more complex than lust child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,619,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Sorry my priorities don't include changing a stupid word on a profile most people don't look at.
You should probably try to settle down. I was asking an honest question.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Well how EXACTLY did Iowa, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington DC legislate it?

By the way, we account for about 11 percent of humanity.
And love is more complex than lust child.
That's probably not accurate.
Quote:
In his 1948 book, Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, Alfred Kinsey shocked the world by announcing that 10% of the male population is gay. A 1993 Janus Report estimated that nine percent of men and five percent of women had more than "occasional" homosexual relationships. The 2000 U.S. Census Bureau found that homosexual couples constitute less than 1% of American households. The Family Research Report says "around 2-3% of men, and 2% of women, are homosexual or bisexual." The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force estimates three to eight percent of both sexes. So who's right -- what percentage of the population is homosexual?
What Percentage of the Population Is Gay?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:51 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,606,150 times
Quote:

By the way, we account for about 11 percent of humanity. And love is more complex than lust child.
They apparently felt the need to create a special class of marriage that fits a small minority.

We don't want that in Nebraska. Go to Iowa if you don't like it.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:16 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,014,538 times
Quote:
For the same reason to straight people of the same gender can't get married.
I'm sorry, but why would a straight person marry someone of the same sex?

Are you being obtuse on perhaps, or is your logic really that bad?

Quote:
We can't legislate based off of sexual choices. Sorry. We're not going to create a special class of marriage based on the person you like to sleep with.
No special class is needed. They'll be perfectly fine with the same class me and you enjoy.

Quote:
Being black is not the same issue. When you try and use that argument you're just not doing yourself any favors.
It absolutely is. You don't have any control over whether you are born black just as you don't have any control over whether you are gay.

Quote:
Get married if you want to. I don't care.
Then why are you fighting to stop it?

Quote:
And for the record, I don't believe I'm trying to "hide behind the Bible or morals". Have I brought up the Bible in this discussion? It is interesting how you are the one that made the jump to that.
Then what is your reason?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:25 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,014,538 times
Quote:
Honestly, your attempt at changing how we define it is frankly tiring. Bottom line is you have a choice to be sexually active or not.
Not really. Sexual activity is the most basic of instincts in our species. You can choose to suppress that instinct but that's it.

Quote:
No...I'm not calling you a pedophile, but there are millions of men in this world that think it's not a choice either--but we don't make excuses for their behavior or try to give them legal routes by which to practice it.
So you're arguing that what two consenting adults do is the same as the criminal exploitation of children?

Quote:
They apparently felt the need to create a special class of marriage that fits a small minority.

We don't want that in Nebraska. Go to Iowa if you don't like it.
White people were saying the same things about blacks many years ago. Funny how it's acceptable to do to gays.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:56 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,606,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I'm sorry, but why would a straight person marry someone of the same sex?
Why would 2 gay people of the same gender marry? Because they care about each other...but also maybe for tax benefits, immigration status, etc.
Quote:

No special class is needed. They'll be perfectly fine with the same class me and you enjoy.
Except that marriage is between a man and woman--they already have access to that. They instead choose to redefine it according to sexual desires.
Quote:
It absolutely is. You don't have any control over whether you are born black just as you don't have any control over whether you are gay.
Born gay isn't proven, btw. But why bother with facts?
Quote:
Then why are you fighting to stop it?
I'm not. I just don't want to redefine marriage to suit a small minority's wishes.
Quote:
Then what is your reason?
I think it's ahorrible precedent to set to redefine something to fit a small minority. Segregation ended in what? The 60's? That's really what this is...by allowing gay marriage, it's segregation based on sexual preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Not really. Sexual activity is the most basic of instincts in our species. You can choose to suppress that instinct but that's it.
So the rapist is not to be held accountable?
Quote:
So you're arguing that what two consenting adults do is the same as the criminal exploitation of children?
Nope. That's why I said "I'm not calling you a pedophile". They are not the same...but both classes of people use the same argument---that you can't choose.
Quote:

White people were saying the same things about blacks many years ago. Funny how it's acceptable to do to gays.
Except that we aren't saying you can't get married---we're just saying you need to do it the same way we do.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That's probably not accurate.

What Percentage of the Population Is Gay?
hmmm way to quote what supported your false opinion, the article continues

"Every Fifth Person -- at Least

In August 2002*, Gallup asked Americans, in an open-ended format, to estimate the percentage of American men and the percentage of American women who are homosexual. The average estimates were that 21% of men are gay and 22% of women are lesbians. In fact, roughly a quarter of the public thinks more than 25% of men and 25% of women are homosexual. It should be pointed out, too, that many Americans (at least one in six) could not give an estimate.

Male respondents tend to give lower estimates of both the male and female homosexual population than female respondents do. The average estimates among male respondents are that 16% of men and 21% of women are homosexual. Among female respondents, the average estimates are that 26% of men and 23% of women are homosexual. Somewhat interestingly, both sexes believe there are more homosexuals in the opposite sex than in their own sex."
Way to fail Omaha Rocks.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
hmmm way to quote what supported your false opinion, the article continues

"Every Fifth Person -- at Least

In August 2002*, Gallup asked Americans, in an open-ended format, to estimate the percentage of American men and the percentage of American women who are homosexual. The average estimates were that 21% of men are gay and 22% of women are lesbians. In fact, roughly a quarter of the public thinks more than 25% of men and 25% of women are homosexual. It should be pointed out, too, that many Americans (at least one in six) could not give an estimate.

Male respondents tend to give lower estimates of both the male and female homosexual population than female respondents do. The average estimates among male respondents are that 16% of men and 21% of women are homosexual. Among female respondents, the average estimates are that 26% of men and 23% of women are homosexual. Somewhat interestingly, both sexes believe there are more homosexuals in the opposite sex than in their own sex."
Way to fail Omaha Rocks.
Fail? How about some simple reading comprehension?

Did YOU fail to comprehend that the "1 in 5" was what people THOUGHT was the number of gays. In other words, people were asked to GUESS.

If I was trying to hide something, I wouldn't have posted the link. As it is, I quoted just enough to be within the TOS, then gave you a link to the rest of the information.

Fail indeed.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Why would 2 gay people of the same gender marry? Because they care about each other...but also maybe for tax benefits, immigration status, etc.
Or... ya know maybe because they're gay. Just a thought really.

Quote:
Except that marriage is between a man and woman--they already have access to that. They instead choose to redefine it according to sexual desires.
Yeah well we can't exactly do that. How unfair would that be to a woman if I married them but couldn't truly love them?

Quote:
Born gay isn't proven, btw. But why bother with facts?
Well being it exists in all life forms, in fact there is a species of only female lizards.

Quote:
I'm not. I just don't want to redefine marriage to suit a small minority's wishes.
What if the entire population of Africa wanted something? Would we ignore them?

Quote:
I think it's ahorrible precedent to set to redefine something to fit a small minority. Segregation ended in what? The 60's? That's really what this is...by allowing gay marriage, it's segregation based on sexual preference.
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Quote:
So the rapist is not to be held accountable?
We're talking about two consenting adults. You're just being ridiculous even bringing in this argument.

Quote:
Nope. That's why I said "I'm not calling you a pedophile". They are not the same...but both classes of people use the same argument---that you can't choose.
Except you actually can change from pedophilia.

Quote:
Except that we aren't saying you can't get married---we're just saying you need to do it the same way we do.
We aren't saying you can't go to this school Ms. Linda Brown. We're just saying you need to be white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha