Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:17 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,316 times

Advertisements

Another new story. Seems now the shotgun wasn't loaded.

Would-Be Robber's Weapon Wasn't Loaded - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/23309461/detail.html - broken link)

That's a pointless argument in my opinion. This may support the claim that he had no intention of shooting anyone. But still, any reasonable person has to assume in a situation like that the gun is loaded. I assume McCullough did what he did because he felt that someone's life was in immediate danger.

He shot 8 times and hit 4 of them. He was either far away, or is a stinky shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:31 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Another new story. Seems now the shotgun wasn't loaded.

Would-Be Robber's Weapon Wasn't Loaded - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/23309461/detail.html - broken link)

That's a pointless argument in my opinion. This may support the claim that he had no intention of shooting anyone. But still, any reasonable person has to assume in a situation like that the gun is loaded. I assume McCullough did what he did because he felt that someone's life was in immediate danger.

He shot 8 times and hit 4 of them. He was either far away, or is a stinky shot.

Fact of the matter is, you pull a shotgun and point it someone to demand money, you've now threatened them with what they perceive as a deadly threat.

He probably tried to squeeze off as many shots as he could in as little time as possible and if he hit 50% of them that's probably good. He was probably panicked and scared out of his mind. Maybe he just tried to order the guy to drop the gun and he didn't...when it was escalated. I don't know. But I'm pretty sure that if you put me in the same situation I probably wouldn't have hit with every shot.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Fact of the matter is, you pull a shotgun and point it someone to demand money, you've now threatened them with what they perceive as a deadly threat.
Exactly. That's what I was getting at, you worded it better.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That's correct. It's a well established legal precedent that if you are threatened with a firearm you are allowed to assume that the weapon is loaded and the person intends to use it. The fact that the weapon was not loaded cannot be used against Mr. McCullough

Quote:
He probably tried to squeeze off as many shots as he could in as little time as possible and if he hit 50% of them that's probably good. He was probably panicked and scared out of his mind. Maybe he just tried to order the guy to drop the gun and he didn't...when it was escalated. I don't know. But I'm pretty sure that if you put me in the same situation I probably wouldn't have hit with every shot.
Correct again. Also the tally was 5 out of 8 shots. The 5th one struck the robber's shotgun and was deflected away from the body. For the sake of argument, I'll credit that as a hit.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:06 PM

175 posts, read 441,851 times
Personally I don't think he did anything wrong killing the robber but I don't understand why he gets the scummiest lawyer in Omaha to represent him. James Martin Davis is known for always representing the guilty. He should have found a different lawyer.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheO! View Post
Personally I don't think he did anything wrong killing the robber but I don't understand why he gets the scummiest lawyer in Omaha to represent him. James Martin Davis is known for always representing the guilty. He should have found a different lawyer.
Say what you want about JMD, but he's a damn good lawyer. I don't understand all the hate sent his way. Ultimately he's just doing the job he's been hired to do.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
So now about 50 suspects showed up at the court house, in support of the other to criminals - both of whom are known gang members.

Maybe the police ought to just round up and arrest the 50 "supporters" too. Guaranteed gang bangers in there.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM

175 posts, read 441,851 times
I like how they all hid their faces on the camera. What is there to support? A victim fought back for once and won and they are upset?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Robber's mom forgives shooter - Omaha.com
this seems to paint a different picture....

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 PM

JMD likes to take a case he can win from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: