Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 8,076 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a year round, elementary level, Chinese Mandarin, immersion school in Orange County? I live in Orange, and work in Irvine, so near those cities would be best, but would consider anywhere in OC. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 14,524 times
Default Mandarin Immersion in OC

They are trying to get a dual immersion program started in Capistrano Unified for 2012-2013. Don't know if it will be year round. We desperately need one in Orange County. Maybe they'll be the first.

Dual Language Mandarin Chinese Immersion | Capistrano Unified School District | Dual Language Mandarin Chinese Immersion

Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,395,586 times
Not immersion, but El Durado School for Gifted Children in Orange used to have a Mandarin program. Not sure if they still do. It is a great school. (at least it was)

Old 06-30-2011, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 14,524 times
Default Mandarin Immersion in OC

Yes, there is growing enthusiasm for Capo Unified for 2012-13. Dual Language Mandarin Chinese Immersion | Capistrano Unified School District | Dual Language Mandarin Chinese Immersion
Here is the Yahoo group: OC_Mandarin_Immersion : OC Mandarin Immersion-CUSD

Also, a private school is opening in Costa Mesa for this fall (2011). It is a franchise of the Renaissance School in Panama City. Here is their website:
Private School Orange County California. Preschool , Elementary School , MIddle School

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,131,880 times
I just read an article about this a few days ago in the Register. I think it'll be in Laguna Niguel, if I'm not mistaken. My, how times have changed! Back in my day, we didn't learn foreign languages until middle school. And it certainly wasn't immersion and NOT Chinese! We only had one class period of Spanish for 1/2 the school year and one period of French for the other 1/2.
My elementary years were the most carefree time in my life. I feel sorry for all the pressures that today's elementary school students must be facing, having to be immersed in Chinese when they're just trying to learn the 3 Rs and science and history.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,354,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I just read an article about this a few days ago in the Register. I think it'll be in Laguna Niguel, if I'm not mistaken. My, how times have changed! Back in my day, we didn't learn foreign languages until middle school. And it certainly wasn't immersion and NOT Chinese! We only had one class period of Spanish for 1/2 the school year and one period of French for the other 1/2.
My elementary years were the most carefree time in my life. I feel sorry for all the pressures that today's elementary school students must be facing, having to be immersed in Chinese when they're just trying to learn the 3 Rs and science and history.
Heck, I didn't have to start learning it til high school. I took Spanish, but blew most of it off because our teacher was an aging nun who wasn't all that sharp. How sorry I am now. However, the one language that was mandatory in Catholic school, and I'm glad it was, was Latin. I am amazed at how useful it has been throughout my life....Latin is at the root of so much of our vocabulary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County