Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 AM

72 posts, read 200,451 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Will know if a few days if I am relocating to OC. Will work in Irvine (close to airport). I have looked at options for moving with my family ( 3 kids, 11, 8, 2). I was looking to find a place where I can have a corporate relocation and in the future buy a house without to have to move the kids from school...
Even if the relocation agency will help us in the process I would like to get the feed back from "real" people that live in those areas.

So far house price between Talega and Ladera about the same. (looking around 900 K to 1 M for 5 bedroom)

Distance from work Ladera is closer.
School, not sure they "look" similar...

Builder quality difficult to tell.

HOa higher in Ladera.

What I don't know is the general feeling on those area, I heard San Clemente is more a "surf" city which I will like better....

We are not a formal family, we like having friends over for food and wine, we don't have big fancy cars, we like nature, scuba, skiing... pretty much anything outdoor...

As I will only 3 to 4 days onsite to find the right place any recommendations, suggestions etc will be very welcome.

warm regards,
Pecosbill
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,125,194 times
i have family friends who live in talega, it's nice, but not really different than anywhere else in southern OC. it's not far from the beach, but it's not exactly close either. san clemente may be a beach/surfer town, but that vibe is mostly west of the 5. talega is a typical suburban subdivision, not that much different from mission viejo, irvine, or probably ladera ranch. it's also a long way from irvine, 30 minutes without traffic, which is almost never.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecosbill View Post

HOa higher in Ladera.
Yep, pretty much what was written in post 2: Talega is nice but I would think most kinds of housing/neighborhoods/schools could be found in Ladera/RSM/MV/LN/Las Flores. Not sure if the extra drive down the 5 is worth it - something to think about.

Ladera HOA includes internet so apples to apples Ladera HOA is probably around $160/month not $200.

San Clemente High vs. Tesoro or San Juan Hills. (San Juan Hills is just starting the bidding for a new pool if your kids are on swim teams. Tesoro and San Clemente already have pools.)

It might come down to the individual homes and how they compare against each other. Maybe you want a cul de sac, or a non tandem 3 car garage, or not a west facing backyard. Maybe one home would need changing: carpet, flooring, countertops, paint, etc.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 PM

76 posts, read 173,639 times
Talega is a lot longer drive to Irvine than Ladera Ranch. You might want to look in Irvine. Capistrano Schools just raised class sizes again. K-3 grades are at 31.5 students per classroom and 4-12 are even larger.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM

9,767 posts, read 7,588,569 times
Talega & Ladera were pretty much built by the same group of builders. Talega is a shorter drive to the beach, Ladera is a closer drive to work, especially if you jump on Antonio & the 241 Toll Road. Some parts in the middle of Ladera are so claustrophobic to me - so many houses so close together surrounded by the hills - I'd rather be on the top of the hill.

Not sure if the surf city feel really extends into Talega or is reserved for the original San Clemente area closer to the ocean.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Some parts in the middle of Ladera are so claustrophobic to me
I got the same impression when I drove through there. Some lots are like 3000 square feet.

4 BAINBRIDGE Ave, Ladera Ranch, CA 92694 | MLS# S621233

However, this isn't just Ladera. It's more like homes built in the past ten years. Laguna Niguel and RSM have some neighborhoods with squished together homes.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
We moved here 3 years ago and also were deciding between Ladera and San Clemente. We chose Talega in San Clemente and absolutely love it. Our weather is a bit cooler, we are 5 minutes to the beaches and great surfing, we have the most awesome charming downtown which is unique (unlike Ladera). We now have a Target for big box store shopping needs, a Walmart too..... And fast food too! I like that our beaches aren't that crowded and that we have the rainbow sandal store and a great beach front trail to jog on. Talega is a great community, chock full of parks, pools, community events (snow days, music concerts, etc..... The school is also wonderful. I agree if you want to go shopping at a big mall that you'll need to travel a bit down the road, but it's worth it for our unique small town environment we have. Also, Dana Point Harbor (great tide pools,) and Laguna Beach are much easier to access from here.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM

82 posts, read 165,215 times
I'm familiar with LR. The HOA includes the internet and they have quite a few clubhouses, pools, parks, walking trails, etc. During the summer they have a water park (which I'm sure your kids will love), concerts at the park, and, I believe, some kind of wine tasting events. The schools are very good and could be within walking distance. On saturdays they have a farmers market that sets up their fresh goodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County