U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 PM

4,876 posts, read 11,291,736 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't Santa Ana or Long Beach have their own Costco? Why put a Costco in nearby Signal Hill for Long Beach and Santa Ana have Costcos in nearby cities, but not within the city itself? Also, this happened with Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,957,697 times
Santa Ana had a Costco (Price Club, actually) but it lost it to Fountain Valley 20 years ago. Have you ever been to Santa Ana?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Santa Ana had a Costco (Price Club, actually) but it lost it to Fountain Valley 20 years ago. Have you ever been to Santa Ana?
I've drove through there and of my aunt's husband works there. From what I've heard, it's not the greatest place. So why did the Costco move to Fountain Valley? I thought Costcos try to be in each urban center. And Santa Ana I thought is the job center of OC.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I've drove through there and of my aunt's husband works there. From what I've heard, it's not the greatest place. So why did the Costco move to Fountain Valley? I thought Costcos try to be in each urban center. And Santa Ana I thought is the job center of OC.
Fountain Valley constructed a brand new shopping center just across the river and made Price Club the anchor tenant. I don't know how the size of the stores compared (the old one became a Home Depot) but the old parking lot was a lot smaller than the new one. I'm sure the city made them a sweet deal to move the store.

The terms "urban center" and "job center" don't really apply to Orange County. Its all one big place. Taxes, tax concessions, regulations, and the overall business climate of one city vs another can determine what city get a store when the cities all run together.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Fountain Valley constructed a brand new shopping center just across the river and made Price Club the anchor tenant. I don't know how the size of the stores compared (the old one became a Home Depot) but the old parking lot was a lot smaller than the new one. I'm sure the city made them a sweet deal to move the store.

The terms "urban center" and "job center" don't really apply to Orange County. Its all one big place. Taxes, tax concessions, regulations, and the overall business climate of one city vs another can determine what city get a store when the cities all run together.
So there is no urban center or job center for Orange County? Arent there many counties like this in California? Ventura County, Riverside, and San Bernardino County don't have a job center or urban center either then.

Is Costco not being in Santa Ana because it doesn't have enough middle class or upper middle class consumers to support one?

Is Costco for the middle class or upper middle class? I know California has alot of Costcos compared to most areas and we also have alot of malls. I know California is wealthy compared to most states, but does this explain why we have so many Costcos and malls?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 PM

291 posts, read 676,351 times
Signal hill is really an enclave within Long Beach.

Last edited by PittNewbie; 07-16-2010 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Signal hill is really an enclave with in Long Beach.
Okay, so is Costco an upper middle class or middle class thing? Trader Joes and Whole Foods I know are usually associated with mostly upper middle class and upper class shoppers going there. Malls are usually associated with upper middle class and upper class too I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 PM

291 posts, read 676,351 times
What are they teaching you at Sonoma State?

For starters Upper class people have people to shop for them in supermarkets. Costco is really forworking class and middle class.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Costco is really forworking class and middle class.
Club stores do require customers with enough disposable income to be able to tie up their money in a 6 month supply of toilet paper to save $0.10/roll. Poor people tend to buy small quantities even though the overall cost is higher. They're also unlikely to pay $55/yr for membership to a store. Costco also has a strong small business customer base who buy things like office supplies, software, computers, etc. I see Costco as a very middle to upper middle class kind of store.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 07-17-2010 at 12:27 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
So there is no urban center or job center for Orange County? Arent there many counties like this in California? Ventura County, Riverside, and San Bernardino County don't have a job center or urban center either then.
I don't know about other counties, but OC is very de-centralized. There's lots of jobs in Santa Ana but you could say the same thing about Irvine or Anaheim too.

Quote:
Is Costco not being in Santa Ana because it doesn't have enough middle class or upper middle class consumers to support one?
That could be part of it but its not like no one from Santa Ana shops in the Costcos in Fountain Valley or Tustin. People cross city lines all the time because they don't mean much. But when locating a store, you want to be closest to your prime customers who are likely to spend lots of money in your store. Santa Ana is a poor city compared to its neighbors. Santa Ana is also a much older city so simply finding enough available land for a Costco and the required parking lot is probably harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or