Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We love Pop's in Santa Ana. Sit on the sidewalk and greet the neighborhood. The Omlettes are fantastic. Decent pancakes as well. We ate there every Saturday morning for about five years. We still go there when we are in town and free for breakfast.

For a great atmosphere, but not the greatest food go to Watsons soda fountain/pharmacy in Old Town Orange. The pharmacist Scott Parker is a super nice guy and he usually knows all the local doings. Although the food is nothing to write home about, it is hard to seriously mess up breakfast. This is a 1950s style soda fountain cafe that was featured in the movie "That Thing you Do" among others.

Nearby in Old town is PJ's abbey. This is more of a resturaunt than a cafe. THey have some great breakfasts.

Out on Tustin Avenue is Arthurs. (Just north of Chapman on the left). Great breakfasts. Their big thing is banana pancakes, but they have a lot of great breakfasts.

(Feeling ignored)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
That's almost word-for-word what you posted.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:58 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
HArbor House is hit or miss, but I have had some great breakfasts there

Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 PM

That's what I had last August, breakfast, after an evening comedy show at the Coach House. Everything I ordered was horrible. The chili on the chili-cheese omelet tasted like dill and had no meat, the cheese was nasty, the omelet was meh, the hash browns were white, and the corn tortillas were elderly. The strawberry malt tasted like malt rather than strawberry. The tables were sticky. The place smelled of Pine-Sol rather than food.

Times like that are why I go 10 years between eating there.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
all it takes it one bad experience. I used to love this place in HB called Cathy Mays (not sure if it is still there) Good service, decent food and reasonable prices got you past the Wally George-white trash/redneck flavored decor.

I had one bad burger that made me violently sick for a few days, and I could never go back, even though I know it was just an isolated incident.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:19 PM

I've had a few bad experiences there, separated by various numbers of years.

I liked it better when it was Mac's Coffee Break, but that was decades ago. Mac, he up and died, as old people tend to do.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
(Feeling ignored)
oh, brother....very sorry I missed this one!....there were so many suggestions.....maybe you saying the food was just average?....it's a great place....glad I saw it AND downtown Orange....sorry, buddy!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
oh, brother....very sorry I missed this one!....there were so many suggestions.....maybe you saying the food was just average?....it's a great place....glad I saw it AND downtown Orange....sorry, buddy!

It is a great place. We love the people. We used to eat breakfast there nearly every Sunday becasue we attended a church across the street. But the food is nothing special. "Average" is not bad, but the food there is certainly not anything that you would tell someone "go eat there, it is great food". We eat there despite the mediochre food, not becasue of it. Still it is not bad either. (Breakfast is better than lunch/dinner). It is also quick and affordable. However the people and atmosphere are great.

Old Town Orange is our favorite place in Orange County. We lived just at the edge of old town for five or six years. Our first three kids traveled around town more often in our red rider wagon than they traveled anywhere in a car. People could always find us by looking for the wagon outside a store, or resturaunt. We love pretty much everything about old town. If you go back, try PJ's Abbey or the Filling Station. the Blue Frog Bakery has some really good food too. If you like Cuban food, Felix's in the circle is pretty good (odd food like fried plantains).

In my mind, the best food in existience, period, is the Shawarma plate at Pappa Hassans' near Chapman University. They have really great people there too. We used to eat at Hassans every week. Now I have to settle for a dozen times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County