Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

I have always heard that SJC had a good proportion of mexican immigrants. when I drove through the Mission area the other day, I noticed that there were many poor immigrants there. The other neighboring cities in this coastal area are upscale with large homes. It's been my experience that rich people generally take over desirable coastal land, so I'm not sure why this coastal land has so many poor people in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
The poor part of SJC isn't right on the beach. Plenty of beach cities have poor barrios within them.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The poor part of SJC isn't right on the beach. Plenty of beach cities have poor barrios within them.
which ones? I've never seen any with the exception of venice. In the 90s, I was surprised to encounter poor families who lived in dumps who suddenly lived in $500-600k homes. That's the only one that comes to mind. Long Bch is a big city that has many ghettoes, but that's a bigger city that extends further inland. I don't recall seeing any smaller beach communities that weren't mainly lily white.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
SJC isn't even a beach city. Its like Costa Mesa that's close to the coast, but not right on it, and does contain barrios. Huntington Beach has barrios and only extends about as far inland as Long Beach. San Pedro is right on the coast and its crappier areas are really close to the water. I believe Oceanside has some bad areas too.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Even in San Juan Capistrano, the desirable available land is all taken up by rich people. Did you notice the hills surrounding the valley??? The ones with the giant mansions??? Those are all part of San Juan Capistrano. The old core around downtown in SJC is where most of the Hispanics live. They live off streets like La Zanja or the Capistrano Villas that are old adobe style condos and apartments that are fairly old. They have been there a long time. SJC is in fact the oldest town in Orange County with Los Rios Street being the oldest residential development. The building crazy for mansions and tract homes had not hit OC yet when these humble communities were already established. Hence the rich people didn't get a hold of that land near downtown.

The Capistrano Valley used to be an agricultural community (and is still rural by OC standards today). Hispanics mainly worked the farms and lived in the downtown SJC area. They remained and established a community and later Hispanics went there as well, building the population. SJC is also very proud of its origins as a city home to Mission San Juan Capistrano and its origins that are rich in Hispanic heritage from Spanish rule through today. San Juan likes the feeling of being a rural town in the past, almost like it was still under Spanish or Mexican rule. Many would probably feel a San Juan with out Hispanics would loose its roots and cultures. I'm telling you, they are BIG on history in San Juan.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
which ones? I've never seen any with the exception of venice.
Dana Point. There's a good reason the cops call Violet Lantern St. "Violent Lantern".

Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM

104 posts, read 224,306 times
I am moving from Virginia and based on this thread, if looking to spend under 500k on a nice home nice neighborhood, living in Dana Point or SJC not a good place to search with not knowing the area very well? Is San Clemente included in this also?
The job is in Laguna Niguel and college is in Santa Ana.
Is is possible to find an under 500k nice beach home (right on the beach) in OC or should I just get that idea out of my head and plan on living inland?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angirocks View Post
Is is possible to find an under 500k nice beach home (right on the beach) in OC?

The probabilities for right on the water are "slim" and "none" and "slim" has non operable brain cancer.

You might be able to get something with a couple blocks but you might not consider it child friendly for three kids.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Clement...2/home/5396042

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beac.../home/17495406

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beac...4/home/5144361

Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM

104 posts, read 224,306 times
[quote=Charles;15202115]The probabilities for right on the water are "slim" and "none" and "slim" has non operable brain cancer.

Nice wording, I figured as much, although I did find something when searching earlier and I found this, not right for us, but could be someones dream home:

San Clemente Real Estate - mls listing #S619935 - San Clemente Single Family Home (http://www.thecoastalpropertyexperts.com/mls-details-residential-S619935.php - broken link)

Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Is is possible to find an under 500k nice beach home (right on the beach) in OC
No.

Quote:
or should I just get that idea out of my head and plan on living inland?
This. My advice: stop dreaming this "living at the beach in OC" pipe dream and rent someplace affordable inland until you get your credit cleaned up and have amassed a healthy down payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County