U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,234 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and am asking strictly for opinions here, I am wanting to get a real estate license. I am a full-time RN and I know that doing real estate part-time is not the thing to do, but I am wanting to learn everything I can about real estate before I decide to go "full-time." The market is bad but I thought it would be a good time to start and just learn as I go. I am not out to make a million dollars, just something I have always wanted to do. Does anyone know what start up costs are after passing exam? Is it true you can do the course online and get a valid CA real estate license? Any information greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 38,123,334 times
Even the full-timers are part time these days.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM

I understand that, but just wanted info on the cost to get started. I do not want to quit my job to go full-time. I have a great job but in the future towards retirement, I may want to do real estate. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM

619 posts, read 2,053,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
I am new to the area and am asking strictly for opinions here, I am wanting to get a real estate license. I am a full-time RN and I know that doing real estate part-time is not the thing to do, but I am wanting to learn everything I can about real estate before I decide to go "full-time." The market is bad but I thought it would be a good time to start and just learn as I go. I am not out to make a million dollars, just something I have always wanted to do. Does anyone know what start up costs are after passing exam? Is it true you can do the course online and get a valid CA real estate license? Any information greatly appreciated.
You need to pick a sponsoring company to sign up for the tests. The company will provide you with the books and schedule you with the course tests. The 3 tests are at home open book on-line tests. After you pass the 3 required course tests they will schedule a written final exam for you with California Department of Real Estate to get your License. It is a state License.
50% of applicants fail to pass the final exam. Not easy!
Total costs about $600.-
Good Luck!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 PM

25 posts, read 47,933 times
I got my CA license in 2003 through Allied. I did everything at home/online, did not need a company sponsor and then went to LA to take the big exam. I think the class was about $200. Once you start to talk to people they will tell you - just memorize the answers on the practice test and you will be fine. Yes, there is a lot of work/studying, but the practice exams were almost identical wording to the real test. I never took it any further, so I don't know what costs are involved with working with a company. Things may have changed since that was awhile ago. . . but that was my experience. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,239,201 times
Don't listen to the, "real estate is bad." If you are good at selling homes then you can sell homes in ANY market. I did the books for one lady who was pulling 200k in commissions! She was an Asian american lady and had a pretty good business catering to Vietnamese clients. Spoke fluent Vietnamese.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:29 PM

16 posts, read 43,468 times
There are lots of on-line or in person classes available at differing prices. (Taking at community college will probably be the cheapest, but will probably take the longest to finish.) After completing the 3 classes, go to the Department of Real Estate website and sign up to take the exam. The exam is $60, and you may want to take one of the "crash courses" to make sure you pass ($150). After you pass the exam, then you will need to put your license with a broker. License fee is currently $245 including the fingerprint fee. Then you need to join a local, state & national real estate associations and pay MLS fees (about $750/year), and buy a lockbox key ($165/yr).

Errors & Ommissions insurance runs about $1500/year with the big brand brokers, or about $150 per transaction with some of the smaller brokers. You probably want to start with a big brand because they offer formal practical training (which has nothing to do with what you learned to get the license.)

Add the cost of signs & business cards, and it's easy to spend $3,000 getting set up before you can start making any money.

Good luck -

Old 08-15-2010, 01:14 PM

thanks everyone, this helps alot, does anyone know how many questions are on the exam? One realtor told me that there were 1,500 and a 3 hour time limit.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:08 PM

5,381 posts, read 7,647,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
thanks everyone, this helps alot, does anyone know how many questions are on the exam? One realtor told me that there were 1,500 and a 3 hour time limit.

It looks like he meant 150 questions with a 3 hour and 15 minute time limit.
California Real Estate License School - DRE approved Online Real Estate Courses

CA Department of Real Estate
Department of Real Estate Home Page

By the way, I am not in the real estate business, I’m just surfing the net and sipping coffee on a lazy afternoon.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,977,305 times
I honestly passed the broker's exam on 4 hours of sleep (went to an engagement party the night before).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County