Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,960 times

Advertisements

I've been in OC for a few years now and I currently live in North OC by The Block at Orange. I'm considering a job opportunity in San Clemente, and if I accept, I will have to deal with about a 35 mile commute to and from work on the 5 everyday. My first question is, what times (assuming a 9-5 work schedule) should I leave and return home to avoid traffic? I'd rather sacrifice the time being there early/staying late doing something productive over sitting in traffic.

Down the line, I'd consider moving further south to be closer to work. I graduated from UCI so I have taken Irvine/Costa Mesa in consideration, however I've rarely explored other areas south. Are there any areas within Aliso Viejo/Mission Viejo that may be more affordable than others? Also, will living in a beach area (i.e. Newport, Laguna, Dana Point) with access to PCH make my commute any faster? How is the commute on PCH anyway?

To be more specific, my exit off the 5 for this position is Avenida Pico. If anyone has tips on shortcuts using inroads/PCH/etc., that would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,757,112 times
1. Define affordable.

2. Pico heading East is a cluster during morning drive. Depending on where your work is, take the Ave Vista Hermosa offramp to either Camino Vera Cruz or Ave La Pata.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Check Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map during the times you would consider commuting. It is real time so check between 8 and 9 and also between 5 and 6.

Metrolink or Amtrak?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 PM

143 posts, read 429,941 times
I think the reason Pico east is so bad in the mornings is because of SC High School. That particular exit is very inefficient, especially if you are exiting from the 5 southbound. Vista Hermosa is definitely the way to go. And Sigalert is a great idea, too. Your commute would be going mostly against traffic. From Orange, it likely bottles up until the Y, then should be pretty smooth sailing to SC.

As for PCH, you would again be going against traffic for the most part. No, it is usually not faster, but certainly more fun. But 'affordable' and Laguna Beach/Newport Beach don't belong in the same paragraph!

You don't say whether you are renting or buying, but Laguna Niguel, San Clemente and Dana Point are good beach options. In Laguna Niguel, try to stay more toward PCH than north by Alicia Parkway. Think Stonehill, Niguel Road, Camino del Avion vicinity.

You are correct about affordability in Mission Viejo and it's pretty close. Also, San Juan Capistrano might be an option and it's very close. Aliso Viejo is going to be pretty similar, in location, to Irvine. Not much gain there, imho, unless you take the toll road. It's $9.00 per day so I don't recommend it.

Good luck!

As for moving here,

Old 08-14-2010, 04:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,683,410 times
Metrolink is in Old Town Orange(Chapman and Glassell) and goes right to San Clemente @ Pico and El Camino. Take the train

Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,631,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metanymph View Post
I've been in OC for a few years now and I currently live in North OC by The Block at Orange. I'm considering a job opportunity in San Clemente, and if I accept, I will have to deal with about a 35 mile commute to and from work on the 5 everyday. My first question is, what times (assuming a 9-5 work schedule) should I leave and return home to avoid traffic? I'd rather sacrifice the time being there early/staying late doing something productive over sitting in traffic.

Down the line, I'd consider moving further south to be closer to work. I graduated from UCI so I have taken Irvine/Costa Mesa in consideration, however I've rarely explored other areas south. Are there any areas within Aliso Viejo/Mission Viejo that may be more affordable than others? Also, will living in a beach area (i.e. Newport, Laguna, Dana Point) with access to PCH make my commute any faster? How is the commute on PCH anyway?

To be more specific, my exit off the 5 for this position is Avenida Pico. If anyone has tips on shortcuts using inroads/PCH/etc., that would be very helpful.
The 73 S from Aliso Viejo (Aliso Creek Road Entry) is about $1.75 because you only stay on it for a very short time before it merges into the 5 S. Entering the 73 N on the return trip, and exiting again at Aliso Creek Road, is also about $1.75.
I take it a few times each week down into Northern San Diego County and find the trip to be a breeze since I travel against traffic. I run into slight congestion ( NO stop-and-go traffic ) in San Clemente, but otherwise there are no problems.
Regarding affordability, housing in Aliso Viejo is less expensive than that found in Irvine, but it is not a bargain. Laguna Beach and Newport Beach have some of the most expensive property in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County