Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:30 PM

12 posts, read 25,081 times

Advertisements

I was reading the earlier post on charter schools and it made me wonder about funding for GATE programs... Does anyone know if OC school districts (Irvine Unified in particular) offer GATE - I think they also go by "Rapid Learner" program in other parts of the state. Down here in San Diego, most of those great "extras" have been cut out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
"All schools in Capistrano Unified offer the Gifted and Talented Education Program (GATE) for eligible gifted students in Grades 4-8"

from

Capistrano Unified School District: Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) Program

"Students have the opportunity each year to be recommended to participate in the Gifted and Talented Education Program (GATE)."

from

SVUSD: TEACHER PORTAL - HOMEPAGE G.A.T.E.

"GATE Information, To become GATE identified, a student must meet one of the following three requirements..."

from

IUSD.org - gifted and Talented Education

Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"All schools in Capistrano Unified offer the Gifted and Talented Education Program (GATE) for eligible gifted students in Grades 4-8"
I hope it's improved since I was in school. It was a joke back in the 60s and 70s.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times
I had a blast in Newport-Mesa's GATE program. However, I've seen a number of studies showing that GATE programs do not promote gifted and talented adults. The correlation was pretty weak, but I guess the program continues.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
Forget what the websites say. You have to reach out to the principals and be diligent. We even found the GATE office a bit on the defensive. The districts are hurting from the budget crisis and the loss of staff and programs. There's a lot of outdated or misleading information on the websites.

Currently in SVUSD, the best you can hope for a GATE-identified student in the lower grades is to get a good teacher with lots of GATE experience. They have to place GATE-identified children with GATE-experienced teachers. Basically your child is in a normal class (now numbering like 30 kids) but there is a GATE cluster consisting of your child and maybe one or two other GATE children. At some point the teacher figures out what level your child is at and tries to make things deeper and more challenging for them.

Even though the district does have a regional school that specializes in GATE programs, it turns out that for the lower grades the only difference is that the GATE cluster numbers five or six. This is the fact despite contrary statements on that school's website. But when we visited our regional school we found the teacher there was not as experienced as the one at our home school. Apparently in the upper grades the GATE cluster sizes can grow to half the classroom and it might make sense to elect to send your child to the regional school in the upper grades.

We got a great teacher this year, one with 20-years of experience and a lot of GATE experience, but even she had gotten her pink slip.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM

Your districts would do well to look at the GT program in Fairfax County, VA which goes from grades 3 to 8. It's excellent.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Your districts would do well to look at the GT program in Fairfax County, VA which goes from grades 3 to 8. It's excellent.
Do you think our local districts' employees have time to analyze other school districts' GATE programs?

Besides, GreatSchools rates the Capistrano School Distract a 9 out of 10, Saddleback a 9 out of 10, and Irvine a 10 out of 10.

GreatSchools rates the Fairfax County schools only 7 out of 10.

FCPS - Fairfax County Public Schools Overview | GreatSchools

Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
Not sure that Great Schools is comparing apples to apples. Both districts appear to feature different test standards. I have, however, heard recently from an Orange County, California teacher who came from Virginia that VA schools were far better overall especially for gifted children.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Not sure that Great Schools is comparing apples to apples. Both districts appear to feature different test standards. I have, however, heard recently from an Orange County, California teacher who came from Virginia that VA schools were far better overall especially for gifted children.
Actually comparing school districts is kind of ridiculous because of differences in demographics. I guess my question would be since CUSD schools are so good is a gifted program all that necessary?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-17-2010 at 05:42 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I hope it's improved since I was in school. It was a joke back in the 60s and 70s.
Apparently it was a joke back in the 80s too. I remember that I was going to be placed in the program until my parents saw what it was all about, how it was going to be run, and decided to pull me out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County