Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I'm no Orange County expert by any means. However, I've enjoyed the times I have visited Balboa Island (which is part of Newport Beach) and Irvine. The natural scenery is very beautiful and I love, at night especially, the view of the homes along and above the Newport Beach "harbor" as I have taken the ferry to Balboa Island. Just amazing.

The University of California, Irvine is part of the world-renowned UC system and has, in its own right, built up tremendous respect as a great institution just in the last 20 years. Even with the high corporate taxation in California, many medium- and large-sized business have retained their headquarters in Irvine, Costa Mesa, Anaheim, etc. Additionally, much of Irvine, plus some of the pictures I've seen of Lake Forest, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Beach, etc. make Orange County look like an amazing place to live. That is, if one can afford it and is more suburban than urban (think: L.A.) in taste.

Lastly, most of the folks I've interacted with from OC have been quite nice. At the least, polite. I certainly didn't notice any more "bros" per capita (I don't think such a demographic can be measured, so it's subjective) than, say, Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus (OH), and Lexington (KY).

With the right job and finding a way to live in a place with an easy commute (key: as little freeway driving as possible and not living in the worst part of Santa Ana), I'd be 'aight with living in OC. So I think, anyway; it is true that visiting and living are two different things, and I have learned that the hard way in the past.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-29-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbagirl View Post
The people are smog and self-centered.

I am living this place and not looking back.

Quote:
There is no intelligent life here.
No comment....

Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I have visited Balboa Island (which is part of Newport Beach) and Irvine. The natural scenery is very beautiful

This part is interesting. Where did you find something natural in Balboa or Irvine? Both places have some great attributes, but natural scenery is not one of them. (Unless you visited in 1920?)

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
I have tried to like the OC. With the inherent beauty here what's there not to like? Well turns out plenty.

The people are smog and self-centered. They seem to live in a bubble and Laguna Beach people like to say they are living in paradise. Hey people this is not Hawaii for pete's sake. I live in Laguna Beach and have never been more bored in my life. The people are phoney and vacant. We've got homeless people in paradise so I guess it's not great for everyone. There is no diversity and people really think they are better than other people. The racisim is really disgusting here. They ran out the gay folks and there is a mini bible belt here. The most hypercritical people you will ever meet. They will pray and in the next breath be really ugly.

I am living this place and not looking back. Am I stereotyping. You betcha. There is no intelligent life here and there are many village idiots with fake tans, fake hair, and fake everthing. It's no paradise I tell ya. Oh, what is really sad is meeting people who don't have money yet will name drop designer names as if it makes them fit it or something.

Hawaii is paradise? Does that mean that there are o homeless people in Hawaii? Someone better tell the homeless in Hawaii that they no longer exist.

Ugly people praying? This is horrible. Someone put up a sign, "Praying by beautiful people only"

Are they pretty when they pray and then take a breath and turn ugly?

They ran out the Gay people? Someone better tell the Gay people that they no longer live in Laguna. They do not seem to know this.

So you are saying that half of Laguna beach is now empty? Have prices for real estate fallen to next to nothing as a result?

People with no money, name drop designer names? You mean homeless people are running around muttering "Gucci Gucci Yves St Lauren" ? Bizzarre, I have never seen this. When and where do you see this behaviour. I want to observe it.

Do designer names fit better on poor people when they name drop?

This is all very confusing. I must be one of those village idiots.

It appears that you are planning to move to Paradise. Please let us know what you think of it. It looks like it gets pretty cold there. Paradise Michigan Chamber of Commerce, in the Upper Peninsula

I went ot their blueberry festival. It was pretty neat.

You are right though. Laguna Beach and Paradise are very different.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,601 times
There are areas of OC that you will find that people are a little more pretentious. It is just a fact. I was born and raised in OC and I have seen this get more prominent in the south county region. I have had friends move to Ladera and RSM and have seen them become more interested in who has the bigger house/nicer car, etc as time has gone on. So yes this does exist. However, it is such a small part of orange county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County