Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Orange County, California requires keeping up with the Jones’, herd animal mentality, Erich Fromme’s Escape from Freedom, Hummer, Lexus, Mercedes automobiles, successful jobs, Santa Ana

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,647 times

Advertisements

I must offer warning to those planning to go to OC without a favorable income level. (p.s. this isn't about laziness, cost of living, or moving up financially-this is about "keeping up with the Jones.' ")

Now alot of people have mentioned crap like people are obsessed with what you drive and where you work--but truth is, people are obsessed with that in nearly every corner of the globe. The real problem in OC, lies in each self's ambitious quest for perfection.

Moving here is like moving anywhere, at first you have doubts, but then you eventually get used to your environment. Well, the environment here does not really accept mediocrity. If you drive a bad car, you're more likely to be pulled over and be given the the race check.. because the stereotype here is, bluntly-if you're poor, you're a Mexican.

I would agree that the society in OC is incredibly homogenous (also does have benefits from being such). On the other hand, I find the drawback of this society/a highly competitive environment is that actually advancing- financially way more difficult. If you live in Newport Beach, how dare you drive a '95 Civic? In my opinion, It's often the obsession with image. ALL OF YOUR MONEY LIKELY WILL GO TO LIABILITIES THAT FLAUNT YOUR IMAGE RATHER THAN INVESTMENTS WHICH CREATE THE "REAL WEALTH" AND JOBS.

Last edited by trimmer; 07-04-2007 at 02:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
Quote:
ALL OF YOUR MONEY LIKELY WILL GO TO LIABILITIES THAT FLAUNT YOUR IMAGE RATHER THAN INVESTMENTS WHICH CREATE THE "REAL WEALTH" AND JOBS.
Hahah exactly. Just like the old saying goes big hat but no cattle!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM

895 posts, read 4,248,192 times
I found this post interesting and was surprised that not too many people responded. We've lived here for exactly 13 days and can see your point but think it depends on your personal situation. My husband's been making comments about buying a Mercedes to "keep up" because everyone in his office parking lot has one but him. Although he's kidding, I'm sure he's just a tad serious but knows that's not possible for him. He has a perfectly fine car. But we have noticed that our neighbors (in homes ranging from $1.5 ver $2M in Laguna Niguel) all drive older cars. I've seen some perfect people here but am pretty happy with my four kids, shorts and flip flops. And the first question my neighbors ask after "Where are you from?" is "Who does your husband work for?"

My husband did get pulled over on the toll road last week because the officer said that his transponder wasn't working and proceeded to give him a really hard time about not having changed his license and tags, even though husband explained that this was his third official day living at a residence (since he lived in a hotel for 5 weeks and can't use that as an address). He got pulled over pure and simple because the officer was bored and didn't like the out of state tag--by the way--the transponder was working fine, according to the toll authorities.

Although people tend to badmouth OC concerning financial difficulties and getting ahead--it's the same everywhere.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,178 times
Herd animals are always concerned about keeping up with the crowd. But thinking human beings do what is best for them. So I do what I like and everybody else can **** off.

But the truth is that human beings like conformity. The person who doesn't follow the norm is usually, if not ostracized, at least is kidded about it. Read Erich Fromme's "Escape From Freedom." People want rules and standards set for them. You see it everywhere. Not just in Orange County.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 AM

800 posts, read 4,297,399 times
I live in a wealthy area and I don't even bother to keep up with the Joneses now, so why would I do it when I move to OC? But, that's just me...

It's easy to stereotype an area of the country and its people, but I argue that it's possible to meet nice, down-to-earth people in any locale.

I guess since I'm laidback, easy-going, and not concerned with appearances, those are the type of people I attract into my life. And, some are very wealthy and even more so than me, but they accept me for who I am and love me because of that.

I mean...seriously, I've never encountered fashion police who will fine me for wearing flip flops, carrying a Roxy purse and driving a five year-old Honda...LOL.

I'd rather have a nice padded bank account and fat IRA like I do and drive a less expensive car and wear lower end clothing. It's my personal happiness that makes my heart sing more...But, if people enjoy having nice cars and the finer things in life, all the more power to them...I'm happy for them

I looove expensive cars...they are awesome eye candy, but nothing makes me happier than a 1969 Camaro Z-28...That's my idea of a great ride, but the next gal or guy may want a Hummer or Lexxus or whatever...Variety makes the world go 'round Thank goodness

Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 AM

15 posts, read 84,895 times
Do we like conformity or do we seek it in fear? My experience is that we're so tired from inching along in traffic to get to a job that feels meaningless so we can earn enough to live in an area where the crime isn't too bad and our kids aren't beat up everyday that we don't have the energy to think about a better way of living. There aren't enough hours in the day to fit in work and commute time and still have family and relationship time, and the job becomes the family and our co-workers can be awfully sneering, unsupportive siblings. If you don't have the *appearance* of a person who is successful (the "big hat"), you don't get the *opportunities* to BE successful (round up them cattle).

And while we're occupied with our shaky occupations, our kids are being raised by THEIR peers and a barrage of negative images, and we don't have time to teach them any better. Do you notice how all those "Lifestyle" magazines include home remodeling and liposuction ads and articles in equal measure? It's as if the human and inert are the same, sculpt your body or restucco your house: both are in terrible shape and you're never good enough as you are. When the bus-stops and billboards show half-dressed but perfect models larger than life, the houses are mansions and the clothes are exclusive designer numbers in all the ads, you get the distorted idea that THAT'S NORMAL.

I haven't lived in OC for years, but we visit frequently because of family. It still feels like high school there. Why should a boss criticize your clothing when the issue is how well you do your job? (The performance was stellar, the jacket was "out of date." Can you sue for that?) My niece wouldn't drive the old Mercedes because all her friends had new Mustangs. The neighbors complained that a relative's house is "bringing down property values" and the city cited him because his tree hung over the sidewalk four inches. Ostracism is painful, along with financial penalties levied and promotional opportunities denied.

RobE, I wish we could have just a tenth of your independence!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:32 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimmer View Post
I must offer warning to those planning to go to OC without a favorable income level. (p.s. this isn't about laziness, cost of living, or moving up financially-this is about "keeping up with the Jones.' ")

Now alot of people have mentioned crap like people are obsessed with what you drive and where you work--but truth is, people are obsessed with that in nearly every corner of the globe. The real problem in OC, lies in each self's ambitious quest for perfection.

Moving here is like moving anywhere, at first you have doubts, but then you eventually get used to your environment. Well, the environment here does not really accept mediocrity. If you drive a bad car, you're more likely to be pulled over and be given the the race check.. because the stereotype here is, bluntly-if you're poor, you're a Mexican.

I would agree that the society in OC is incredibly homogenous (also does have benefits from being such). On the other hand, I find the drawback of this society/a highly competitive environment is that actually advancing- financially way more difficult. If you live in Newport Beach, how dare you drive a '95 Civic? In my opinion, It's often the obsession with image. ALL OF YOUR MONEY LIKELY WILL GO TO LIABILITIES THAT FLAUNT YOUR IMAGE RATHER THAN INVESTMENTS WHICH CREATE THE "REAL WEALTH" AND JOBS.
Exactly. The people of the OC are just going to keep running in their little hamster wheel of conformity and insecurity, desperately trying to be accepted by an ultra uptight and competetive culture. Thinking that they absolutely have to conform in order to be successful.

It's a strange phenomenon really... educated, intelligent adults that are LOST in cheap high-schoolish games of "What car do you drive?", "I'm more popular than you!". It truely is a sickening display of the darker side of human nature. It shows just how cheap, selfish and greedy people will be when the stakes are high enough. It's a side of humanity that I still don't quite understand. I've been fascinated and confused by the behavior of OC people ever since I moved there, and to this day it hasn't lost it's absurdity to me. It just never ceases to amaze me how people will sell themselves out to such deep, deep levels.

I was totally BLOWN AWAY by this side of the OC. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine a society could be so shallow and lost in illusion. Never did I imagine that an entire populous of people could collectively get caught up in cheap, immature games of conspicuous consumption. I guess when you have a very rich community that is void of any real spirituality or morals, that's what you get.

And to that person that was saying something like "Not all parts of OC are snobby, just look at Santa Ana, etc..." There ARE some little parts of OC that are more decent than others, this is true. And yes, there ARE some good people in OC.

But overall, the OC is full of rich, hollywood wannabe, pompus snobs. And most of the middle class or poor people out there are trying their hardest to emulate and immitate that affluent, fake, So-Cal lifestyle. Collectively, the people of the OC are all playing a little game that has become part of normal society and culture there.

The worst part about it is the ignorance. The fact that the whole thing is fake, an illusion, a man-made notion, a fleeting and insubstantial way of life in an unsustainable and unnatural little part of the world. Yet the people of the OC continue to act as though their way of life and their culture is superior.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:41 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Default Status Symbol Rich - Cash Poor

I wouldn't be at all surprised that many who try to keep up with the Jones are up to their eye balls in debt. Many probably re-fi their houses and max out their credit cards to maintain this illusion of having "arrived". There are probably some bubbles about ready to burst, especially when it comes time to stop working and retire.

I don't live in the OC, but up in the Bay Area in places like Marin, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda counties, it's the same thing. In Marin county, BMW stands for "Basic Marin Wheels".

Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
He has a perfectly fine car. But we have noticed that our neighbors (in homes ranging from $1.5 ver $2M in Laguna Niguel) all drive older cars. I've seen some perfect people here but am pretty happy with my four kids, shorts and flip flops. And the first question my neighbors ask after "Where are you from?" is "Who does your husband work for?"
You sound sensible, so do your neighbors. The questions from the neighbors sound normal to me. Where you inferring something else?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 PM

575 posts, read 1,777,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised that many who try to keep up with the Jones are up to their eye balls in debt. Many probably re-fi their houses and max out their credit cards to maintain this illusion of having "arrived". There are probably some bubbles about ready to burst, especially when it comes time to stop working and retire.
I agree, what I don't get is why so many seem to feel that mentality is exclusive to Orange County? I've lived in 4 different states in the past 15 years and have seen it in every one of them.

From many of the posts on this board I also expected most folks I saw in OC to be superficial Barbie/Ken types. I don't know about the superficial part since we were just visiting, but I saw plenty of folks who obviously were not hung up on their looks.

Maybe I'm way off base since I've never lived there... but it seems like there is an awful lot of generalizing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County