Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,858 times

Advertisements

Buying a home in Irvine even on a good budget ($600k - $700k) is next to impossible. Either you buy a small home built in the 70s with lots of non-permitted additions, or you buy a new home in Woodbury East, and pay $1,200 in Mello-roos, tax, and HOA. Yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
If you love, just love suburbia and all it represents-tract after tract of identical houses, numbing garage doors and strip mall parking lots representing much of the street scape, enough overly wide fast streets and clogged freeways to intimidate any pedestrian from attempting to walk anywhere, a repeating motif of national chain stores instead of a real urban downtown center, a place where people represent themselves mainly through the type of vehicle they drive (windows up, cell phones at hand, and no acknowledging anyone else outside of your chariot thank you very much!) absolutely no soul whatsoever -then Irvine and the OC is for you.

Me, I drive as fast as I can to get through that scary county!

You can live in Southern California and don't have to live in Stepford

SOUTH PARK San Diego

Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpal View Post
Irvine is not even a real city, there is no city center, and to do anything of substance you have to leave the city (i.e. go to a baseball game/hockey, beach etc).
Except for the beach, you could say the same of almost every city in LA/OC including Laguna Beach.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:31 PM

283 posts, read 625,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Except for the beach, you could say the same of almost every city in LA/OC including Laguna Beach.
Not sure if you have ever been to Laguna but there is definitely a city center....Anaheim, Santa Ana, Huntington Beach etc all have city centers which have historically (and currently) been major activity hubs. Irvine has the Irvine Business District (which is just high density office space) and the Spectrum (Tia Juana's was "Old Irvine") Please explain....

Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Why does it upset you so much that Irvine lacks an old part of town with terrible parking, narrow streets, and tourists running between cars? As far as seeing a game or concert, there's only a few places to do that in SoCal so most people have to drive to them regardless of where they live. The same goes for the beach as most people in SoCal don't live at the beach, even if they live in a beach city. What's the difference between driving to the beach from Irvine or inland Newport Beach?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM

283 posts, read 625,802 times
Upset?!?!? hahaha this is an internet messageboard....This is a discussion....I think you are going off on a tangent but regardless let me take a stab at this...

The difference is if you are living in the "best place" why would you have commute several miles to do anything of substance? The definition of living somewhere that is the "best" is that all the amneties you deem necessary to live your life are at hand. Day after day though I see heavy traffic from Irvine residents crowding the beaches and going out at night in this area.

Whats the difference between Inland Newport Beach and Irvine? I think you answered your own question they are two different cities at two different price points. Same could be said about Santa Ana & Irvine or Costa Mesa & Newport Beach. Two different cities, two different lifestyles.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:55 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,788 times
This is a funny conversation. Where else would anyone combinde Costco, Walmart Disneyland and the beach as positives? Or a "short commute" to any of these things as a positive? I am really thinking this is not my kind of place at all.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,788 times
Thre is no ocean in Colorado Springs and you are 4 hours from any good parts of the mtns and there are no rivers, lakes or any sign of water. I lived there. It's a small town with a bunch of nasty Christians driving up and down the freeway. They are nasty because they all drive like the guys in the pickups in OC.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
You can live in Southern California and don't have to live in Stepford

SOUTH PARK San Diego
South park is fake urbanity.

Last edited by dtran103; 03-20-2010 at 03:17 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 11:17 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
"When you visit South Park for Walkabout..."

When did Aussies invade San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County