Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 PM

17 posts, read 75,967 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to La Habra the end of the year. Can anyone give me any information on the city? How are the schools, shopping, crime, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
I frequently hear it called Guadalahabra so that might be a clue.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,946,373 times
Beyond that, its location is landlocked by other cities, meaning there's no quick way in or out from the freeways.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:23 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,456,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clp63 View Post
We will be moving to La Habra the end of the year. Can anyone give me any information on the city? How are the schools, shopping, crime, etc.

I grew up there but can't speak for the schools since I went to Christian school. However, check scores. Better yet, visit the schools or talk with folks that have their kids attending them if you can. I have heard that La Habra High is a hidden gem in North Orange County, and is part of the Fullerton Union High School district. Since La Habra and La Habra Heights share the same zip code (90631) even though they are separate cities in two different counties, the fact that La Habra Heights is more upper-crust helps the whole area look better overall when data are broken out by zips.

The lack of easy access to freeways is both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing because if you work in Anaheim or points south, going home is almost literally "getting away from it all". But you will be driving 10 to 15 extra minutes to do it. My folks did it for years and I did some of it myself when going to college in Irvine.

The "Guadalahabra" remark is partially deserved; the city is about 50% "Hispanic" and my guess would be that half of those are immigrants, legal or not. There is also a growing Asian population because of new developments over the past fifteen years.

The areas with the biggest crime issues (at least in the past) are the Grace-Pacific areas (south of Lambert, between Euclid and Cypress), and sometimes the Las Lomas neighborhood which is right across from there west of Euclid off Las Lomas Drive. Also the numbered streets 3rd through 5th Aves between Monte Vista and Walnut are "Campo 13" (local gang). "Rosie's Garage", started in Councilwoman Rosie Espinoza's Grace Street home, has seen positive results in getting and keeping kids out of gangs.

Some will say only live "north of Whittier Blvd." or "south of Imperial Hwy". Too broadbrush. Usually people that say those things are real estate agents wishing for the biggest possible commission. Still, the neighborhoods with the biggest and newest homes will not be found in the center of the city.

As for shopping, La Habra has the Marketplace (complete with a Regal Movie theatre) and other shopping clustered in the general area of the Marketplace (Imperial between Idaho St. and Beach Blvd.). If you really need high end stuff the Brea Mall is in Brea, the next town to the east, or in the Whitwood Mall in Whittier, the next town to the west. There are a number of hidden gems even downtown, though...I'm thinking of Cannings' Hardware and the Tire Barn, among others.

One drag on the local economy is that a number of car dealerships have closed in La Habra and surrounding communities. Because of its location La Habra has issues at times keeping occupancy in buildings, but if your work is within reasonable driving distance of the city, I would definitely consider moving there. PM me with addresses that you might have for places. Don't let people's negativity (there probably will be some) scare you. See for yourself what you should do.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:50 AM

2 posts, read 9,924 times
Oh wow after reading this I may cancell my visit to La Habra. I lived in Whittier but worked in LH by the police station at Imperial savings- prob not there anymore tho. I loved eating at Marios deli and then sat nights cruise up and down whittier blvd. I still have family and friends in La Habra maybe i will just send them a post card...lol

Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 PM

454 posts, read 1,238,886 times
Its a crappy place. Lots of crime that has migrated from south la. Only ghetto people live there. Every now and then there is a gated community with higher class people.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,312,713 times
All of La Habra is NOT bad and how dare you generalize everybody who lives there as being "ghetto!"

La Habra is a middle to lower middle class area. The area along Whittier Blvd from Beach to Harbor have some nice late 50's/early 60's era type homes. There are a lot of older caucasion people who live there. It is a quiet neighborhood. Properties in this area range from 400k to 500k. I am not talking about La Habra Heights either.

The other nice part of la habra is near Beach and Imperial where the shopping plaza is. South of Imperial is where some of the newer construction is and gated communities are. Properties in this area range from 500k to 600k.

The part that is "ghetto" is right in the middle of the city. It is off La Habra Blvd inbetween Idaho and Harbor. The area is more hispanic and has hispanic shopping "Northgate Market." Although it is not the greatest area, I don't feel threatened when I am there like I do in other cities.

If you are comparing La Habra to cities in South O.C like Irvine then yes it is not as nice but in no way is it unsafe and ghetto.

It is NOT like SANTA ANA which i was at recently at. No offense to anyone who lives there but that place was BAD and reminded me a lot of Ontario/San Bernardino.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:38 PM

74 posts, read 241,792 times
La Habra is certainly not as bad as some people make it out to be. Like the above poster stated, it is a middle/lower-middle class area. Working class people, many who are Hispanic. Not a ghetto, even by OC standards. The safety there is just fine. The people are very nice.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
All of La Habra is NOT bad and how dare you generalize everybody who lives there as being "ghetto!"

La Habra is a middle to lower middle class area. The area along Whittier Blvd from Beach to Harbor have some nice late 50's/early 60's era type homes. There are a lot of older caucasion people who live there. It is a quiet neighborhood. Properties in this area range from 400k to 500k. I am not talking about La Habra Heights either.

The other nice part of la habra is near Beach and Imperial where the shopping plaza is. South of Imperial is where some of the newer construction is and gated communities are. Properties in this area range from 500k to 600k.

The part that is "ghetto" is right in the middle of the city. It is off La Habra Blvd inbetween Idaho and Harbor. The area is more hispanic and has hispanic shopping "Northgate Market." Although it is not the greatest area, I don't feel threatened when I am there like I do in other cities.

If you are comparing La Habra to cities in South O.C like Irvine then yes it is not as nice but in no way is it unsafe and ghetto.

It is NOT like SANTA ANA which i was at recently at. No offense to anyone who lives there but that place was BAD and reminded me a lot of Ontario/San Bernardino.
Funny that you complain about generalizations and then engage in them yourself (or was that part a joke?). Do you realize that Santa Ana is much larger than what you saw and includes very pleasant areas as well as nasty areas. Are you aware that Santa Ana has some of the nicest neighborhoods in OC?

I have been to parts of La Habra that make parts of Santa Ana look like Nirvana. I have also visited very nice part of LaHabra. You are correct in noting that generalizations are virtually always wrong.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,312,713 times
There is a difference in saying "only ghetto people live there" and making an observation when I visited Santa Ana.

I was off Harbor in Costa Mesa and drove to Edinger passed Flower looking at properties. Sorry but it was awful and even the worst areas of La Habra are no NEAR as bad as where I was at.

Last edited by behindthescreen; 09-15-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County