Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,181 times

Advertisements

Hi

I've got a room addition that's already built and I need a drawing of the existing area now. I was thinking a student of architecture would be the perfect candidate for this side job.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
This for plan submittal to the city? If you didn't draw it yourself (owner-builder), you will have to get a licensed architect to do it.

Cost? ... I don't know. If you DIY, study NFPA 70 for all the electrical aspects including panel load calculations. California Plumbing Code for all plumbing aspects. California Building Code for building aspects. Title 24 for energy conservation. And any county and city amendments for their take on all of the above.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
play around with google sketchup. its a free program and not to hard to use.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
play around with google sketchup. its a free program and not to hard to use.
That won't be a substitute for knowing the code aspects, however.

What this suggests to me ...
Quote:
I've got a room addition that's already built and I need a drawing of the existing area now.
... is the property has an unpermitted room addition.

I may be wrong ... can the OP clarify on this?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,803 times
Just wondering why you don't already have drawings for the addition. How did it get built without a set of plans? If you need assistance my husband is a licensed architect.

His info is
benjamin john stevens . architect | Home
ben@benjaminjohnstevens.com

Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,181 times
Thanks for the feedback- this was a garage to granny unit conversion built within code but without permits. It's been cited by the city for being a 3rd unit on a R2 lot, so now instead of tearing it out i'm thinking of incorporating it into the apartment above by enclosing the exterior staircase and moving the entrance door to the base of the stairs.
I'm looking now for someone to do some basic drawings and maybe submit to planning/building dept.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,803 times
Mick24
Which city is the property in? My husband should be able to help you decide what's the best method to get it approved. Feel free to give him a call or email. I'm sure he could help with the drawings as well.
Kendra

Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick24 View Post
Thanks for the feedback- this was a garage to granny unit conversion built within code but without permits. It's been cited by the city for being a 3rd unit on a R2 lot, so now instead of tearing it out i'm thinking of incorporating it into the apartment above by enclosing the exterior staircase and moving the entrance door to the base of the stairs.
I'm looking now for someone to do some basic drawings and maybe submit to planning/building dept.
This is more than just basic drawings, as you're going to have to detail the existing aspects too, citing the various codes as applicable.

Again, if you're not going to DIY the plans, you will have to hire a licensed architect to do them. Submitting to the city ... that would be an owner (you) or an owner's representative (the architect you hired).

Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM

103 posts, read 218,005 times
Just searching through archives for this topic and was curious how your experience was and what person/company you decided to use. Was it painless or did you find it to be difficult to find someone to draw this up for you? I was recommended by a family member to use Charleston Land Planning, Drafting, 3D Renderings - AutoCAD Site Planning & Development Services who works for clients all over, but I'm just a little hesitant.

Just curious for feedback from the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County