Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,794 times

Advertisements

What type of nursing do you do? I would probably stick with San Diego or OC. Are you looking for a hospital job, managed care job (case manager, QI) or a clinical practice setting?
With overtime in a hospital you could make more than 70K, plus you could do registry on one of your days off.
Either way, good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
With overtime in a hospital you could make more than 70K, plus you could do registry on one of your days off.

Very true. The OP will do OK here on 70K with careful spending, and if things get tight, she can always put in more hours.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Do any of you think I would fair better in San Diego or even Los Angeles? It seems San Diego is a tad cheaper and Los Angeles or at least where I would want to be (west side beaches) seems to be even more pricey than Orange County.

I suggest sticking with Orange County, because you can be beach close for less than you would have to pay in LA. Plus, there is much less congestion in South Orange County than there is in LA. It’s just easier to “get from here to there” in South County.

South County communities also tend to be very safe.

As far as San Diego is concerned, if it is hard to find a full-time job as a RN, I imagine it would also be very difficult to find part-time work should you ever want to supplement your income.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:14 PM

39 posts, read 107,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
What type of nursing do you do? I would probably stick with San Diego or OC. Are you looking for a hospital job, managed care job (case manager, QI) or a clinical practice setting?
Either way, good luck!!
I work in outpatient surgery/ambulatory as a pre-op/pacu but I have expanded my search to any and all! Hospital would be fine too but im 2 months in applying and have yet to even get an interview. But hopeful for something coming up in Orange County. Not sure if you work in healthcare but full time hours for me is plenty as an RN and plenty exhausting. Over time is not an option

Old 10-23-2010, 09:17 PM

39 posts, read 107,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I do believe we pay more for both electricity and auto insurance. We buy fuel from Texas for electricity, a sour deal our last governor did before parting.

You will likely find that we have fresher fruit and vegetables. Great sea food as well.

That $80-$150 electric bill here is for a 700 square foot apartment!! And unfortunately, its pretty much year round here due to our climate. The crime and theft here is also through the roof, therefore so is insurance.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:05 PM

22 posts, read 39,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taapple View Post
I am trying to prepare for a possible move from Houston to Orange County. After reading some of these posts, I am now a even more nervous. I dont want to move and find myself miserable and unable to afford anything. I am an RN and from what I can tell, pay would be approx. 70k give or take. I have about 1k worth of bills monthly not incl. rent or spending money. I get that my rent for a one bedroom will be about $1500/month, gas is a little more, sales tax is about .50% higher there, and then income tax which we dont have here in TX is approx. 9%. What else makes it so expensive there? Are groceries more? Some posters have said that even though they were forewarned how expensive it is, they really couldnt have imagined how expensive until they got there. i dont want any suprises The only thing that seems to be cheaper there is utility bills, I pay 80-150/month for electric and car insurance will go down just a little.

I am really questioning whether I can afford to live in Orange county. Any insight would be very helpful!!!
As the others have said, it would be tight for you, but totally doable. My first year out here was at around $75k and I was fine, but I did split rent on a $2k apartment

Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 PM

Check apartments.com for a place less expensive than $1500, but still very nice, in Aliso Viejo. Since the city is so small (9.2 sq. miles), even if you are not living at Town Center, you will be within a very short drive of it (Maybe 3.5 to 4 minutes away in "heavy" traffic?).
You may be able to find a reasonably priced 805 sq. ft. apartment ($1285 - $1385) with modern amenities at Alicante in Aliso Viejo:
Alicante Apartments in Aliso Viejo, CA | Apartments.com
Here is Alicante’s website:
Alicante Apartment Homes

Last edited by pacific2; 10-23-2010 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 AM

77 posts, read 347,110 times
Like the others said, you should be able to make it with 75K a year, just watch your spending. Make meals at home instead of going out to eat. Do laundry at a friend's house rather than a laundromat. All the small things count if you want to thrive here on that budget. Everything here is more expensive but utilities.At some stores, groceries aren't very expensive compared to Texas. Shop at a little organic food mart called Trader Joes; they are widespread throughout OC, and offer food for about 15% less than other grocers.

As far as housing goes, it all depends on what hospital you'll be working at. If you were to work at Mission Hospital, you can find nice, affordable housing within walking distance to it. However, if you were to work at Hoag Hospital, you would have to look quite a few miles outside of where you'd want to be, because Hoag is located on the verge of a ritzy area (which would not be affordable to you) and ghetto area (where you could afford for sure, but wouldn't want to live). Look into suburbs either inland or south if you want more bang for your buck. Generally stay away from Westside Costa Mesa East of Harbor Blvd, Downtown/Older Areas of Santa Ana, Downtown San Juan Capistrano, Southern Fullerton, Every part of Anaheim besides the parts bordering Garden Grove, Anaheim Hills, and East Anaheim.
Otherwise you should be fine.
Good luck
Have fun in Cali, we have so much to offer. Beautiful beaches, amazing shopping, mountains just a few hours away. You'll love it.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Do laundry at a friend's house rather than a Laundromat.

Better yet, just move into an apartment equipped with a washer/dryer (very common in newer South Orange communities), or has shared laundry facilities.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
1.) Rent does not have to be $1500/mo. You may have to compromise on location or amenities though. For instance you can get a one bedroom near the beach(within 2-3 block walk) IF you are willing to take an older unit with mediocre furnishings(ie no granite countertops. OR you can get a nice modern place, but more inland. Eitherway, you shouldn't have to pay more than $1100-1300/mo for a one bedroom.

2.) $1000 a month in fixed costs not including rent is really really high for your level income. Myself, I have $100 cell bill. Thats it. When I had a car payment it was $280/mo. I pay my car insurance in full at the begining of the year, but that would run about $120/mo. Cable and internet is $75/mo. So $575 a month in fixed costs normally.

3.) Expect food to run $300/mo or so. Gas will depend on your car and how far from work you are.

FWIW, I make a little more than you do, I pay $1575/mo in rent that includes gym membership and partial utilities. And its not any sort of difficulty or struggle at all. And if I wanted cheaper, theres lesser units not as desireably located that run as low as $1050/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County