Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:12 PM

43 posts, read 57,512 times

Advertisements

I am twenty six years old live in the Chicago suburbs. I am set to inherit a little more then two million dollars after taxes from my grandparents once I turn 28. I think this will be enough money to live comfortably in California for decades. I plan on renting an apartment In newport, which will be about 1500 dollars a month. Dont want to purchase a house and have a third of my money gone. Or is renting a bad idea?

I plan on having the money in bank accounts FDIC insured and some precious metals. Don't trust the stock market right now. Anything I should know about before making the big move in less than two years?

I plan on getting a job eventually, maybe two or three days a week. Possibly a bartender or something fun.

No kids, not married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger456 View Post
I am set to inherit a little more then two million dollars after taxes....Anything I should know about before making the big move in less than two years?
My daughter's phone number?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times

Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
This is California ...

My son's phone number

Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Why CA? you could buy a tropical resort and live well for decades

Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger456 View Post
I plan on having the money in bank accounts FDIC insured and some precious metals. Don't trust the stock market right now.
You really need professional asset management advice. Sticking all your money into low-yield savings accounts will hurt you over time as inflation reduces your buying power. What if those metals tank in value?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Did you call the Dave Ramsey show?

I personally would buy a home outright, keep some liquid, and invest much of the rest in mutual funds. I'm not a fan of metals, we haven't used them as currency for quite awhile. You can always sell the house, and if you can't sell it, you'll always have a place to live.

The great thing about your situation is that you don't have to get a job if you don't want to, especially if your money is invested properly. You'll also have the luxury of getting married and having kids and not having to worry too much about money, unlike many Californians.

When (not if ) I'm in your situation, I probably won't work. But I'm one of those boring married guys. If I was single, I would probably find some fun job to do to pass the time...good plan.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,907 times
I would re-think your plan a bit. $2 M sounds like a lot, but without an additional income stream, it will go faster than you think.

Talk with an accountant or financial advisor. I would think he'd advise you to purchase property for the tax write-offs. A good option would be a duplex - a place to live with rental income on top of it.

Newport Beach is the most extravagant place to live in Orange County. I'm 35 and have lived here all my life, so I'm speaking from experience. Single guys living at the beach burn through money. Especially without a job to keep you occupied (if you're working, you're not spending money!), it will be very easy to fall into the trap of eating out all the time, buying gadgets & clothes to keep up with your neighbors, and spending tons on your dates.

I would also consider the financial situation in California. The state is in trouble. It's a wonderful place to live in terms of weather, sports & activities, culture - we really have it all. But it comes at a price. Speak to a financial professional so you can really take advantage of your windfall. Best of luck.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:17 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
have you considered muni bonds? Put most of the money in there and live on the tax free interest it generates. If you can find a 5% yield bond for your $2M, that would generate $100k/year that would be tax exempt. You could certainly afford to rent in newport with that kind of money coming in and you won't be eating into the inheritence at all.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:27 PM

43 posts, read 57,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You really need professional asset management advice. Sticking all your money into low-yield savings accounts will hurt you over time as inflation reduces your buying power. What if those metals tank in value?

You make a good point but I am not too worried about it. Take in mind I will be working a few days a week which will help with some expenses. I dont drink, dont smoke, etc. I dont really do anything that is extravagant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County