Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 22,821 times

Advertisements

thanks a lot... This is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 AM

12,460 posts, read 19,994,347 times
I'd probably pick San Clemente and then Ventura. I would not want to retire in Oceanside.

Contrary to what people are saying Ventura is a safe area.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
Red face I have lived in San Clemente and Oxnard

I grew up in San Clemente from age 7 to 32. I kept a condo in Dana Point until 2005. I moved around and ended up in Oxnard - Ventura County. I live a few feet from the border of Ventura. I love different things about each. I must say I still hold onto the San Clemente of the 60's and 70's. You would not believe how great it was - so much land. I had horses and you could ride on the beach and most everywhere within 10 miles. So.... I have been in Oxnard from age 36 until now. I just turned 60 - I can't believe it and wish it were not the case. However what can I do. I have been considering moving back since I divorced in 2005.

There are pros and cons to both. Oxnard is between Malibu and Santa Barbara and San Clemente is between San Diego and LA. I prefer the former. Tho I was born in San Diego and went to college in La Jolla. I can't possibly live there tho I love it. It is less expensive to live in Oxnard. But there is a high hispanic population. I am white. But I can drive either way where I live. Everyone is mostly white in Ventura which is just across the bridge from my house. I am on the line.

The shopping and everything you could possibly need is within 5 miles. I don't know about San Clemente. This is one thing I have wondered about. I too have doctors ect here and would have to travel every 2 months to come back to Camarillo where he is. That is a 1 or 2 hour drive depending on traffic.

The weather is perfect in both locations. I hardly ever use the heater and don't need air cond. The bottom line I think is how you feel when you visit these places. Oxnard has a harbor. Ventura has a pier and a beautiful town. The beaches are beatiful in Ventura especially. Oxnard Shores is beatiful. You have to see the right places. You can't just drive up the freeway. You need to stay a couple of days.

I hope this helps a little. It is huge decision. I too don't have family and just retired. I don't want to make a mistake. I am worried about how much more a house in San Clemente would cost too. I am able to afford where I live now and I have a 2400 sq foot house on a 7100 lot in a nice neighborhood. To move to San Clemente I would need an additional 300,000 to get the same quality house. So if you have enough money that gives you a lot more options.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,058 times
I've lived in Oceanside for 20 years and I love it. I have never had an ounce of trouble here. Oh you can find trouble if you are looking for it but you just have to mind your business. There are areas that are more trouble than others but you just don't go there if there is no purpose to. There are plenty of areas that are nice and have everything one would need.

Living right on the coast is a little hectic because it's always a party so just go inland a few miles if you like it a little quieter. The word has gotten out that this is a nice place and so there has been a population explosion and during the summer it is getting way too crowded. This was once a small town but now...here comes the high rise apartments, etc.

I lived in San Clemente....loved it and I grew up in Ventura...my favorite. Check out Camarillo. My home town. You have good taste in locations. Good luck

Old 10-12-2020, 12:45 AM

10,136 posts, read 6,562,973 times
Yep, downtown O'side has "lost it's charm" that's for sure...

Old 10-12-2020, 10:40 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,745,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yep, downtown O'side has "lost it's charm" that's for sure...
Who bothers to go there?

Oh, except to visit the pier which is one of the best in CA.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:48 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,673,059 times
Oooh! Almost fell for answering a thirteen-year old thread.

Anyway, since it has been revived . . . not of his list, but I'd choose Carpinteria.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-12-2020, 09:34 PM

252 posts, read 416,900 times
Tuff choices, and that choice will be very much subjective.

We moved back to the mainland from Kauai island, and before that Seal Beach and Huntington Harbor , north O.C.

We selected Dana Point, but we have easy access to our wonderful sister towns of San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente.

We love living in South Orange County, And Dana Point.

Why :

Walk to to Salt Creek Beach, hike along Salt Creek and also over to Strands Beach. Also, over to the bluffs headlands overlooking Dana Point Harbor and marina. Or, hiking down to the harbor and marina ( 4 mies r/t ) . Not only walking along the cement path along the many boats in their slips, but stop at one of our fave restaurants and bars for happy hour drinks and food.

Also in the harbor, we have several shops, plus Catalina Ferrys over to Avalon: the whale watch boats during the season; sports fishing, kayak rentals, skee do rentals, a sailing club that you can join, take their lessons, get certified to skipper their 30 plus on up sailing vessels, meet new people, and maybe join in flying down to the caribbean and sailing the islands for 10 days to 2 weeks.

There is more. From home we have inland hikes up the Salt Creek Trail, and many other trails within short drives to maybe 25 or 30 minites to other trails and wilderness areas county wide.

We also have Doheny Beach, a short drive, next door to the Dana Point Harbor. Add in very nice bbq areas at Doheny, Lantern Bay, Pines in capo beach, and Salt Creek Beach Park, and Sea Terrace Park, next door, for peaceful BBQ, but in summer sunday afternoons, free live concerts in the park.

I mentioned our sister villages of San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente, both are quaint , and fun , with great fave restaurants, bars, entertainment, and shops plus the pier, and beach in San Clemente, and other similar faves in San Juan.

We find very nice people , friendly, fit and positive for the most part. Great place for us to reside and exploure.
For staycations, we drive out to the desert or up to the mountains. And explore and have fun along PCH, northward, to Laguna, Corona Del Mar, and Seal Beach.

Now, that is good for us and fits into our lifestyles . There are other amenities, like landscaped roads and roads in good condition.

Plenty of places to shop for almost anything that you might need in our 3 towns, and the areas in between.

Just FYI, and why we very much enjoy south county.

However, you just need to do what feels best for your values, fitness, and what feels good to you, Have fun.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:54 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,909,174 times
Well, there's Carlsbad, CA beach.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:12 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,627,595 times
What makes Oceanside unique is the Oceanside Trenchcoat Guy:

https://youtu.be/x_l6LCQtOWc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County