Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I remember when Ricardo Beas was a waiter at Olamendi's.
Did pretty well for a SCHS grad. What's with the Mountain View location? Cashed in on the Slicon Valley boom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Authentic Mexican:
On Bristol street in Santa Ana (on or near Civic Center Drive) there is a place with the original name "Taco" It is about as authentic as you can get. Watch what you order, the menu is in spanish and includes Brain taco, as well as taco made of other organs that you may not really want to eat. Take an authentic Mexican with you when you eat there so tht you know what you are eating. (Actually brain tacos are pretty good if you do not think about what you are eating, the one I found really gross was one that includes eyes. It was very grisley - Ick.)

It has been a few years since I went ot that place, it may be gone.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,445 times
Carmelita's on the lake in RSM Carmelita's - Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Maria Isabel on El Toro in Lake Forest & San Juan Capistrano
http://www.yelp.com/biz/maria-isabel...-lake-forest-2

Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Did pretty well for a SCHS grad. What's with the Mountain View location? Cashed in on the Slicon Valley boom?
Dunno, but they need to cash in on the "how to spell Capistrano" boom first.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:44 PM

When in SJC, it doesn't get more authentic than El Campeon. Knowledge of Spanish helps, but isn't mandatory. You can always point at something.

They have a good selection of aquas frescas, and are about the only place in South OC where my favorite, tripas, can be found. (Tripas are braised small intestine of pig... they make for great tacos). They also serve sesos, cabeza and lengua.

Nothing Americanized about this place.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
La Sirena in Laguna Beach, the one in Downtown (looks like a house-almost), haven't tried the one is South Laguna Beach. Taco Loco is okay too, it's on PCH, don't park on PCH, go park back in the neighborhoods.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:06 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
La Sirena in Laguna Beach, the one in Downtown (looks like a house-almost), haven't tried the one is South Laguna Beach. Taco Loco is okay too, it's on PCH, don't park on PCH, go park back in the neighborhoods.
Used to eat at Taco Loco all the time (it's great IMO), not sure why the taco bell across the street is always so busy with that type of competition. Kind of way off topic. I stopped eating at that taco bell altogether after hearing varied locals on several occasions tell the guy at the counter "to hold the Gringo Sauce." Shortly after the last time eating there I had food poisoning.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Used to eat at Taco Loco all the time (it's great IMO), not sure why the taco bell across the street is always so busy with that type of competition. Kind of way off topic. I stopped eating at that taco bell altogether after hearing varied locals on several occasions tell the guy at the counter "to hold the Gringo Sauce." Shortly after eating there last time I had food poisoning.
It's busy because it's cheap, tastes like paper if you ask me. Both places are busy, enough people to go around. Though I've seen Taco Loco busier on some late nights than Taco Bell.

Another good one in Laguna Beach is Wahooo's Fish Taco, although they're just about everywhere, though the one in Laguna Beach tastes just a little bit fresher than the ones I've been to elsewhere. It's fairly cheap as well. Love their shrimp enchilada plate.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
When in SJC, it doesn't get more authentic than El Campeon. Knowledge of Spanish helps, but isn't mandatory. You can always point at something.

They have a good selection of aquas frescas, and are about the only place in South OC where my favorite, tripas, can be found. (Tripas are braised small intestine of pig... they make for great tacos) . They also serve sesos, cabeza and lengua.

Nothing Americanized about this place.
Now you're getting a little TOO authentic!

But I think "tripas" comes from a cow. Do you mean "buche"? That's pork innards (Both make awesome tacos, btw...)

Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Buche is stomach. Tripas are small intestine. Don't get them mixed up with tripe, because they ain't. Believe me, I know my innards as served a la Mexicana. I love guts and organ meats, except for liver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County