U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 12,316 times

Advertisements

We're two liberal, foodie, urban Jews (culturally) who moved from the Brooklyn Park Slope area two years ago with our now 3 y.o. and ended up in a rental in San Clemente close to the beach (we moved for the weather, family, etc.) . It's lovely but I miss a more diverse, urban setting and thinking of moving to the West Bay/Santa Ana Heights area. I miss walking to restaurants, diversity of people, arts and culture etc. and think there might be more access to that there. We also have helpful family in Pasadena and Huntington Beach so it's closer.

Assuming we can afford the housing, am I kidding myself that we could find some down to earth, left of center, non gym rat families in the area? We got a good vibe from taking our kid to the Mariner's park. My husband wants a beautiful coast line (so Belmot Shores etc. is out-we've also ruled out Laguna Beach because of the access and prices etc.) , I understand Mariner's Elementary School is exceptional and we're very interested in public school but it would be nice to not feel as culturally isolated as we do down here. I see there's a JCC not far from there and it seems that we would be much closer to more diverse areas (Irvine, L.A. county etc.).

Commuting is not an issue because we both work at home.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM

30,253 posts, read 74,379,269 times
Santa Ana heights? This is bascially a subdivision off of Jamboree. At one time, they were going to become part of Newport Beach. You can walk to one restruant from there that Ican think of. I think it is Japanese. Otherwise, it is basically a subdivision bordered by the back bay on one side and the back side of office buildings along Jamboree road on the other. This is not in a town where you will be walking to much of anything.

I do nto know where you got the idea that Irvine or Newport Beach are diverse. Irvine is essentially white and asian; newport Beach is essentially white. Santa Ana is over 80% hispanic. No real diversity in any of these places.

There is no "coastline" in Santa Ana heights, however some of the houses look over the back bay (a shallow marshy bird sanctuary - you are not going swimming in the back bay. You can canoe or kayak, but it is hard to launch or land from the inland side. Sometimes the back bay has an odor that some people find offensive.

This is a very strange post. "I want to move to the back bay, but I have never been there, I know nothing about it, and I do not know where it is, nor what the surrounding area is like. However I think that it must be btter than where I live".

Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 74,379,269 times
You may find more of what you are looking for in Long Beach.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 12,316 times
Just to clarify the post in my own words if anyone else is willing to respond to the query in a nice way...We are very clearly looking at the area between Mariner's Park and the bay in the Mariner's school district. I'm just using the terms the realtors use for the neighborhood. We know we can't swim in the bay, my husband just wants to be close enough to a beautiful coastline. We have spent time in the area and like places like Kean Coffee, Santa Monica Seafood, Marine's Park etc. I understand that unfortunately the towns mentioned aren't diverse in an of themselves but if you take access to Asian, Hispanic and White you've covered more ground than in South O.C. where we are. Long Beach is out because my husband is not interested in being near the port and oil drilling.
Thanks

Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 PM

14 posts, read 24,741 times
I've lived in OC over 20 years and there are "down to earth, left of center, non gym rat families" in OC, but they are few and far between. OC typically leans to the right and most us who lean left tend to keep it to ourselves. You'll have to either get involved with the local left-leaning organizations to find like-minded folks, or accept it's going to be pretty random.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 PM

590 posts, read 1,189,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagoh View Post
We're two liberal, foodie, urban Jews (culturally) who moved from the Brooklyn Park Slope area two years ago with our now 3 y.o. and ended up in a rental in San Clemente close to the beach (we moved for the weather, family, etc.) . It's lovely but I miss a more diverse, urban setting and thinking of moving to the West Bay/Santa Ana Heights area. I miss walking to restaurants, diversity of people, arts and culture etc. and think there might be more access to that there. We also have helpful family in Pasadena and Huntington Beach so it's closer.

Assuming we can afford the housing, am I kidding myself that we could find some down to earth, left of center, non gym rat families in the area? We got a good vibe from taking our kid to the Mariner's park. My husband wants a beautiful coast line (so Belmot Shores etc. is out-we've also ruled out Laguna Beach because of the access and prices etc.) , I understand Mariner's Elementary School is exceptional and we're very interested in public school but it would be nice to not feel as culturally isolated as we do down here. I see there's a JCC not far from there and it seems that we would be much closer to more diverse areas (Irvine, L.A. county etc.).

Thanks!

can you define "non gym rat family" as I have never heard that expression before...

also...there really is NO urban feel area in Orange County(thanks )...mostly we are defined as "suburban"..very dense housing etc..yes there are places you can walk to some things..but OC is not NY, Chicago or Boston...it is near impossible to live here without a car...

as for living directly where you can see the ocean..surely that can be found..but be prepared to pay in the 1.5 million+ dollar range for water view homes..and mostly they are very close together at that price range..

personally I think one makes of their surroundings what they want..you choose your friends thru various means..and like tend to appeal to like..

we have a major Calif Univ in Irvine,,plus JCC in nearly every town,,private colleges abound too..but college aged kids normally hang with other college aged kids..they aren't likely to be your neighbors or in your age and social strata..

we live in a gorgeous very unique area called Lemon Heights..has a Santa Ana address,,actually is in the unincorporated area of OC..lovely homes..most on at least half an acrea..current starting prices over 1 million ..and going up..our schools are great...

but..10 miles inland..no walking to coffee and stores..some areas up here have kids playing..but most literally are taken on play dates etc..

Mission Viejo etc is very family oriented..lower priced..good sized homes on very small lots..schools are good there...also 10 miles inland

good luck..

Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 AM

77,804 posts, read 97,890,946 times
Quote:

Thanks!
there are very few areas that are totally one way or the other. I am sure you will find people with your views but of course, you are not going to find them to the same extent as say, West Los Angeles for starters. Most everyone knows OC is one of the most conservative counties in the country regardless where you choose to live, thus, regardless of where you live you will be exposed to both sides and this is good in my opinion. It helps keep our minds working.

Nita

Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,012,656 times
My hunch is you will find more diversity in terms of both political viewpoints and ethnicity, in some of South County’s newer communities of Ladera Ranch, Rancho Santa Margarita and Aliso Viejo. Still, as others have stated, none of these areas will match everything on your list. NYC is rather unique in terms of vibrancy, diversity and easy access to cultural amenities.

I’m a former NYCer (Upper West Side of Manhattan) and I know it takes a while to carve-out a comfortable niche in Orange County, but it can be done. Basically, it requires flexibility and using the resources of multiple small cities; and they are all, as you know, very close to one another.

This article might be of interest to you:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/us.../30orange.html

Best of Luck!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,195,213 times
Quote:

Thanks!
If you are looking for Left of center, anywhere in Newport Beach is not for you. NB is the most republican city in OC. As Santa Monica is to lefties, Newport is to righties.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 PM

14 posts, read 21,969 times
Mariner's park? I know it well. It's honestly a terrible place to raise kids, the people there are so Newport, so fake, you could not get much more fake than there, and expect your child will ask for new boobs before high school graduation at Newport Harbor. It's definately republican majority, not liberal at all, the traffic there really sucks too, do you like traffic? If you like the city, you came to the wrong place. If you just want nightlife, a downtown, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, and Fullteron come to mind. San Clemente does lack a nightlife, but that's because its a surfer town, people like to get up and surf. My experience is that conservatives are some of the nicest most honest people you will meet, and liberals can be very self centered, even dishonest. Who do you want to be living next door to when the economy just tanks.

Sorry you did not like SC, that's probably for the best, less is more

Last edited by mazzyb; 11-10-2010 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County