Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,325,021 times

Advertisements

Maybe one difference is that many businesses in Miami allow their employees to not understand English since many of the employers also only speak Spanish or prefer Spanish. In California a Spanish-only speaker can get by in certain jobs like farm laborer, restaurant help, gardening and some of the trades like construction. But they will never be promoted unless they can speak some semblance of English. Hispanics know that learning English will mean more opportunities in California. But even in Miami, a Spanish-only speaker will be very limited and unable to gain main-stream employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 PM

152 posts, read 333,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william1971 View Post
Seeing as how you know very little about Los Angeles - I won't take into account your argument. I think the most ridiculous thing anyone could have posted is how Broward County and Palm Beach are filled with Spanish speakers. Although, I'm sure Broward and Palm Beach have it's share of Spanish speakers, Floritar it's nothing compared to Miami-Dade. I think anyone on this thread will tell you that. Nice try though.........
Well really, I work in Broward and live in Palm Beach, a gated community. At the pool that is pretty much all you hear, of course when talking to me they are polite and use perfect English. You could pretty much go to any restaurant near say the Sawgrass Mall a central Broward location, hear it there, and to move up a few notches, hear it quite frequently at the cabanas in the Boca Resort Club. What makes you think that I do not know anything about Los Angeles, do you think you own Knowledge, I bet you do, with all of your presumptions.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:38 PM

160 posts, read 853,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Impossible to have a coherent disagreement with you .... I agree people should learn the language of their host country and embrace their new culture .. I am disturbed and frankly annoyed by immigrant groups who make no effort to learn our language .. we agree there .... but in no way did I say or imply that you should be ASHAMED to know English .. where did you get that ???

You do have either a mean streak of a high level of ignorance amigo ... you do know that we live in a "globalized " world which is becoming smaller every day and that we as Americans are falling farther and farther behind because our schools are not producting enough engineers or scientists and our kids are lacking in math and yes foreign language skills ... hopefully your move to Europe will come sooner rather than later .
There you go again Rock Newman, projecting your own frustraions onto others. How do you come the conclusion that I'm mean. Because I disagree with you about So Florida. It's funny you mention Mean streak (reminds me of a Y&T song) because South Floridans don't necessarily have a reputation for being friendly.

I understand there's a definite globalization going on, and our current President and can talk for days about but I won't get into that. It's a good thing you moved from California Rock Newman, seems like South Florida fits you.........

Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 PM

152 posts, read 333,949 times
Quote:
There you go again Rock Newman, projecting your own frustraions onto others. How do you come the conclusion that I'm mean. Because I disagree with you about So Florida. It's funny you mention Mean streak (reminds me of a Y&T song) because South Floridans don't necessarily have a reputation for being friendly.

I understand there's a definite globalization going on, and our current President and can talk for days about but I won't get into that. It's a good thing you moved from California Rock Newman, seems like South Florida fits you.........
Well south Florida sure does seem to be attracting a lot of visitors that speak all sorts of languages, who do you think is buying up all of the most pricey real estate. Really why is it so hard for you to understand that people from Europe spoke many languages, so of course they were forced and embraced learning English. To assimilate, to be successful and thrive and they did, no dought about that. With so many immigrating from Spanish speaking countries in South Florida all speaking the same language, and from Mexico in California(from such a early time) naturally they would be more likely to keep their culture /language, and still thrive, strength is in numbers your know. Countries and populations evolve, so does culture, trying to put the brakes on that will break you..

Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floritar View Post
Well south Florida sure does seem to be attracting a lot of visitors that speak all sorts of languages, who do you think is buying up all of the most pricey real estate. Really why is it so hard for you to understand that people from Europe spoke many languages, so of course they were forced and embraced learning English. To assimilate, to be successful and thrive and they did, no dought about that. With so many immigrating from Spanish speaking countries in South Florida all speaking the same language, and from Mexico in California(from such a early time) naturally they would be more likely to keep their culture /language, and still thrive, strength is in numbers your know. Countries and populations evolve, so does culture, trying to put the brakes on that will break you..
Floritar - what are you talking about? South Florida extracts vistors from all sorts of languages, well so does New York, Los Angeles, & Chicago...Who brought up Europeans moving to the States? Of course some of them were forced to learn English as a second/third language, but what does that have to do with the tea in China? We are talking about Miami-Dade and it's residents who not only purposely refuse to speak English but are some of the meanest, inconsiderate people I've ever come across.

Last edited by william1971; 12-12-2010 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,057,219 times
Quote:
Floritar - what are you talking about? South Florida extracts vistors from all sorts of languages, well so does New York, Los Angeles, & Chicago...Who brought up Europeans moving to the States? Of course some of them were forced to learn English as a second/third language, but what does that have to do with the tea in China? We are talking about Miami-Dade and it's residents who not only purposely refuse to speak English but are some of the meanest, inconsiderate people I've ever come across.

Sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black .... sounds like a win for Florida and a loss for California when you move back ... I guess your time with all of those "nasty " people in So Fla has affected you .. I find that people who complain all day aout how nasty people can be are usually pretty nasty themselves .... leave soon and good riddance .

Old 12-13-2010, 04:14 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,057,219 times
Quote:
You brought up Europeans .. Einstein .. when you said you would learn their language when you moved there

Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
You brought up Europeans .. Einstein .. when you said you would learn their language when you moved there
Yeah, but that's completely different than Europeans moving to the states, or do you have the mental capacity to decipher the difference Rock Newman. You're just pissed because the truth about So Floridans hurts. The reason you can't see it or don't want to see it is because you become what you are surrounded by. You don't know any better Rock Newman is what it comes down to...

Last edited by william1971; 12-13-2010 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black .... sounds like a win for Florida and a loss for California when you move back ... I guess your time with all of those "nasty " people in So Fla has affected you .. I find that people who complain all day aout how nasty people can be are usually pretty nasty themselves .... leave soon and good riddance .
Yes you're right, after a while of being in So Florida it does tend to affect one's personality. That's what happens when one is surrounded by so much negative stimuli. Rock Newman, do us Californians all a favor and stop coming to Southern California! We don't need rude ignorant Floridians there!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM

3,556 posts, read 4,366,931 times
Originally Posted by Rock Newman

Originally Posted by william1971
Yes you're right, after a while of being in So Florida it does tend to affect one's personality. That's what happens when one is surrounded by so much negative stimuli. Rock Newman, do us Californians all a favor and stop coming to Southern California! We don't need rude ignorant Floridians there!

Come on boys. It's Christmas. Take a little time off and put the verbal attacks aside. I'm sure the two of you'ze are good people. Say something nice; find a little commonality and smile.

L.A. sucks. Miami sucks. But surely, there's something nice to be found in each. . .just like surely there is something nice to be found in each of you'ze.

Be of good cheer! Merry Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County