Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
One comment.....why are you going to the ER to see a doctor?? That is what doctor's office are for...ER's are for emergencies...

If you are waiting hours in an ER you are not sick or injured enough to be there (sorry...but emergency rooms are not for non emergent visits)
Lets see, in CA it was for an appendicitis, a knee that was split open and needed stitches, once because I had a feminine hygiene lodged inside me which had to be removed, and once was for severe unexplained abdominal pain.

In WA it was for a severe gallbladder attack (which I didn't know what it was at the time).

All the times I've been to an ER in CA it was late at night or on a weekend. In WA it was the middle of the night.

So you see, I know what an ER is for, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Las Flores, located midway between Mission Viejo, Coto de Caza, Ladera Ranch, and Rancho Santa Margarita.

• Most kids can safely walk to school along community walkways
  • Community Feel: Las Flores is completely surrounded by open space and all the kids go the same schools.
  • Masterplanned
  • Good schools (Las Flores Elementary, Las Flores Middle, Tesoro High)
  • Built at the "right" time, 1997; many are still original owners who bought before the bubble so there is a lot of community stability.
  • Quite: No malls, business, industry, retail bringing in lots of traffic - just one little mall with a convenience store, a gas station, Starbucks, etc - nobody drives to Las Flores - most of the patrons are from Las Flores. Still, Las Flores is only one or two easy miles from Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, and RSM shopping/amenities/parks/sports facilities.)
  • Lots of kids; our two cul de sacs had 85 kids.

• Genuine "Middle Class" feel where neighbors have a beer with each other in the front yard while the kids play in the street. We actually know every neighbor on our street.

• Reasonable HOA, $100/mo includes community pool and mini splashground, tennis courts, baseball field, landscaping - just the right amount of amenities that get used.

Dislikes:

• Mello Roos
  • Zip code hassle as 92688 cross references to RSM, confusing for online purchases for example
  • It is in south Orange County, 55 miles from my job in El Segundo. Vanpool is an absolute necessity. Leads to problems for doctor appointments since work is so far away - a challenge to get back home for a 4 or 5 PM appointment for example. Also, a challenge to get home early for kids' activities. It will always be a long commute for me for wherever I work in LA or north OC. One of these days maybe I can work in Long Beach or Huntington Beach or something closer. I have to get up at 4AM to catch a 5AM van to get out of ES by 330PM to get home by 445. However, most of my neighbors work locally or at home or Irvine or something.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:22 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
That little fireman doesn't look very happy. I'll bet he just got nailed by forced overtime.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
once because I had a feminine hygiene lodged inside me which had to be removed
I had that once.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Las Flores, located midway between Mission Viejo, Coto de Caza, Ladera Ranch, and Rancho Santa Margarita.

• Most kids can safely walk to school along community walkways
  • Community Feel: Las Flores is completely surrounded by open space and all the kids go the same schools.
  • Masterplanned
  • Good schools (Las Flores Elementary, Las Flores Middle, Tesoro High)
  • Built at the "right" time, 1997; many are still original owners who bought before the bubble so there is a lot of community stability.
  • Quite: No malls, business, industry, retail bringing in lots of traffic - just one little mall with a convenience store, a gas station, Starbucks, etc - nobody drives to Las Flores - most of the patrons are from Las Flores. Still, Las Flores is only one or two easy miles from Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, and RSM shopping/amenities/parks/sports facilities.)
  • Lots of kids; our two cul de sacs had 85 kids.
  • Genuine "Middle Class" feel where neighbors have a beer with each other in the front yard while the kids play in the street. We actually know every neighbor on our street.
  • Reasonable HOA, $100/mo includes community pool and mini splashground, tennis courts, baseball field, landscaping - just the right amount of amenities that get used.
Dislikes:

• Mello Roos
  • Zip code hassle as 92688 cross references to RSM, confusing for online purchases for example
  • It is in south Orange County, 55 miles from my job in El Segundo. Vanpool is an absolute necessity. Leads to problems for doctor appointments since work is so far away - a challenge to get back home for a 4 or 5 PM appointment for example. Also, a challenge to get home early for kids' activities. It will always be a long commute for me for wherever I work in LA or north OC. One of these days maybe I can work in Long Beach or Huntington Beach or something closer. I have to get up at 4AM to catch a 5AM van to get out of ES by 330PM to get home by 445. However, most of my neighbors work locally or at home or Irvine or something.
ES, LB, HB now that rings a bell

And I thought I traveled too far ... from HB to Redondo along the 405

Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Las Flores,

Genuine "Middle Class" feel where neighbors have a beer with each other in the front yard while the kids play in the street. We actually know every neighbor on our street.
What's the middle class price of admission there?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What's the middle class price of admission there?
We paid $242/sqft.

The average price of an SFR sold in the past six months was $585K ($420K to $840K) ($251/sqft). It is a lot cheaper than Irvine, Laguna Niguel, and Aliso Viejo, probably because it is that much farther out.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,556 times
Mission Viejo:
- Safe (Safest city in the U.S, 2007)
- not crowded
- no traffic (except OSO/Marguerite during peak hours)
- great weather
- close to beach
- centrally located between San Diego and LA.

San Rafael:
- My oldest lives in our home there by himself, and I don't worry about his safety.
- Good schools
- Great weather (except the rainy season early in the year)
- Close to San Francisco, lots of custom homes with interesting architecture
- Lots of alternative shopping (indie small shops, etc)

Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM

No dislikes, Mr. F?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:37 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I had that once.
Please share the story.

BTW, Thing 1 seems to be in position for a Thing 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County