Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:43 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,947,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post

I'm not saying this about you per se, Jackie, but a reasonable commute to your job and safe surroundings should take precedence over less tangible issues. I could say more, but that would take us out of the bounds of this discussion.
My surroundings were more than safe back when I was living in Costa Mesa and I would feel safe as well living in decent areas of L.A. I am not a phobic person so pretty most areas would be safe for me.

Lake Forest feels like the boonies. There's trees everywhere; I can see why it's called Lake Forest now, it's like living in a real forest. I like trees but palm trees, not "forest trees"... And there's mountains too... and raccoons. I just don't like it. I love Costa Mesa and Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,336,342 times
Trees and a mountain. Oh, the horror! Do they even have running water there?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I think your problem is not commuting distance; it's WHERE you are working and wanting to live. At least for you, Lake Forest doesn't cut it for a place to live.

And as far as Costa Mesa being too far for a commute? Not really. I worked in Lake Forest for a while myself and had to go to Costa Mesa from there on a regular basis--not too bad of a drive unless the 405 has an accident or an airport rush going on. But earlier, you wrote that you thought a separation of 40 min between work and home would be closer than ideal. So why the concern about a "long commute" all of a sudden?

I will admit this; I would NOT want to work AND live in certain parts of Irvine, simply because there is not enough difference between industrial parks and residential zones to be able to tell them apart.
I don't think a commute has to be 40 min exactly to be ideal. It's just weird that I eat at some places at lunch and then eat there or drive by there again on the weekend; it feels like I never left work.

I did hate the commute but sometimes I still miss it. I tend to be a very nostalgic person. There were times I hated it! But then I miss sitting in traffic listening to music and looking at the tall buildings at around Jamboree or John Wayne airport. I'm weird like that.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Trees and a mountain. Oh, the horror! Do they even have running water there?
Have you ever been to Lake Forest EscapeCalifornia? lol

They do have running water and also raccoons and other wild animals I'm sure.

I was bored tonight so I drove to Best Buy in Costa Mesa to buy something. Took only 15 min with no traffic. When I saw the bright lights around South Coast plaza I felt like I was alive again. Luckily it's only 15 min away (when there's no traffic). It's nice knowing I can go drive down there any time. I need to take a road trip to L.A again after all living here in the forest!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 AM

Oh and it feels like at 5pm everyone leaves Lake Forest and gets onto the 405 to get back home wherever they came from but I'm still here... So it feels like I never left. I feel nostalgic for the drive home. I'm crazy! lol

Old 12-07-2010, 01:24 AM

[quote=Vinsanity;16891586]mrsltd hit it right on the head. Your problem isn't the distance, but the location of your workplace itself. If your work was in a more urban area, then I assume you probably wouldn't mind living there.

Hmm, actually this is true! I wouldn't mind living in Los Angeles and working there too. I think I would love it actually. I didn't realize this but you are right, it's the location and not the distance.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:24 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,336,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Have you ever been to Lake Forest EscapeCalifornia? lol

They do have running water and also raccoons and other wild animals I'm sure.

I was bored tonight so I drove to Best Buy in Costa Mesa to buy something. Took only 15 min with no traffic. When I saw the bright lights around South Coast plaza I felt like I was alive again. Luckily it's only 15 min away (when there's no traffic). It's nice knowing I can go drive down there any time. I need to take a road trip to L.A again after all living here in the forest!
I've been to Lake Forest tons of times. I can't say I've ever thought of it as an actual forest but maybe that's because the trees are all planted, not naturally occurring. Its very suburban and I would prefer it to the South Coast Plaza area where I am now. I hate it taking 10 minutes to get a mile to the freeway because of all the lights and traffic. The constant sound of ghetto birds and small planes gets old too.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
I've been to Lake Forest tons of times. I can't say I've ever thought of it as an actual forest but maybe that's because the trees are all planted, not naturally occurring. Its very suburban and I would prefer it to the South Coast Plaza area where I am now. I hate it taking 10 minutes to get a mile to the freeway because of all the lights and traffic. The constant sound of ghetto birds and small planes gets old too.
I never heard any ghetto bird when I was living there in CM.

Yes, the trees are all planted in Lake Forest. It feels like a master planned forest. I heard there is a lake here too. I've never seen it though.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I need to take a road trip to L.A again
Better not. L.A. has curves.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times
Quote:
I've been to Lake Forest tons of times. I can't say I've ever thought of it as an actual forest but maybe that's because the trees are all planted, not naturally occurring.
Hence its other name: Fake Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County