Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:13 PM

8 posts, read 46,086 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are looking to make the move from the Bay Area (Cupertino) to Orange County. I work for a defense contractor and my job is being transfered to Anaheim, CA. We have spent the past two weeks going through our options and have visited a lot of communities in Orange County. We have narrowed it down to these two areas. We are looking to buy a home soon, as our current home in Cupertino is already in escrow.

We have settled on two neighborhoods:

East Lake Village in Yorba Linda or Turtle Rock in Irvine

pros and cons of each?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
I would say Yorba Linda simply because the commute is much better. Both are great family cities, Yorba Linda maybe a little lower on the scale, but one of the top 5 family cities in the area(and definitely better youth sports city).

Depending on where in Anaheim the job is, you could take rail from Irvine(Metrolink).

If you're going to work at Boeing, they close facilities and move people around left and right, so Yorba Linda might not be a great choice because the other Boeing offices that people rotate through are in Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, and El Segundo

Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmth3432 View Post
Me and my wife are looking to make the move from the Bay Area (Cupertino) to Orange County. I work for a defense contractor and my job is being transfered to Anaheim, CA. We have spent the past two weeks going through our options and have visited a lot of communities in Orange County. We have narrowed it down to these two areas. We are looking to buy a home soon, as our current home in Cupertino is already in escrow.

We have settled on two neighborhoods:

East Lake Village in Yorba Linda or Turtle Rock in Irvine

pros and cons of each?
Your job will be in Anaheim. Think about that first.

Where in Anaheim is it? I would guess that it would probably be in what is known as "Northeast Anaheim Business Center".

In any event, Yorba Linda would be FAR closer than Irvine.

Not having a long commute would be better than any perceived advantage one might have living in Turtle Rock.

Turtle Rock is one of Irvine's most exclusive neighborhoods if not THE most exclusive. That means $$$$$ for a house unless you have a really good deal going.

East Lake is most likely a bit less expensive, and I would not rule out other parts of Yorba Linda or neighboring cities if East Lake does not work for you.

Plus, in my mind, Yorba Linda feels like a real place, and shopping is a bit more accessible there than in Turtle Rock.

You really don't want to make the drive from southern Irvine to Anaheim every day unless you carpool. There are worse drives out there than this, but you gave two places to choose from. I would choose Yorba Linda, were I in your situation.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Yorba Linda would be FAR closer than Irvine.
That sounds odd, "far closer".

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
i would also choose yorba linda simply because of proximity to anaheim. i grew up in yorba linda and it was a great place to be a kid. yorba linda will get warmer in the summers, but not terribly so. both are very suburban, but i always felt the geography and housing stock was much more interesting in yorba linda. if you can afford it, it is a win-win either way, especially if you have kids. however, your commute will be much shorter and you'll have easier to access to everything but the beaches if you go with yorba linda.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:52 AM

Thanks for the info....Not too worried about housing cost we have found houses in both areas and they are significantly less than what we were expecting to pay, they are also much more updated/newer than the area we are moving from.

This might seem like an odd question but which area is flashier? We do not want to live in a pretentious community and are looking for an area that is low key. This is probably the most important criteria to us for choosing one over the other.

Commute wise the office is maybe 5-10 mins away from the East Lake Community and probably 25 mins from Turtle Rock. 25 mins personally is not that long of a commute if its worthwhile to live in that area. We are torn between the two and are just wondering about the intangibles and what type of people actually live in these two communities?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That sounds odd, "far closer".
Wow. Didn't even notice. Being ironic in a two-word phrase. Anyway.....

Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmth3432 View Post
Thanks for the info....Not too worried about housing cost we have found houses in both areas and they are significantly less than what we were expecting to pay, they are also much more updated/newer than the area we are moving from.

This might seem like an odd question but which area is flashier? We do not want to live in a pretentious community and are looking for an area that is low key. This is probably the most important criteria to us for choosing one over the other.

Commute wise the office is maybe 5-10 mins away from the East Lake Community and probably 25 mins from Turtle Rock. 25 mins personally is not that long of a commute if its worthwhile to live in that area. We are torn between the two and are just wondering about the intangibles and what type of people actually live in these two communities?
That 25 minutes of commuting from Turtle Rock to Anaheim is IF there are no accidents or traffic slow-downs. Perhaps the toll-roads would be 25 minutes, but they take you out of the way a bit.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
There is no toll road to Anaheim, only through(or east of) Anaheim Hills. 25 minutes on paper turns in to 60 minutes in reality. My commute says 25 minutes on Google and Yahoo Maps. In reality it is 60 minutes. The 55 and the 5 are both very heavily traveled freeways for commuters and both congested all the time

Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM

The Anaheim office is located off Weir Canyon, I am not that familiar with the area but when google mapped it shows as 23 Miles via 405 to 55 to 91, and 21 Miles via 241 Toll Road (From Turtle Rock). Is there heavy traffic on the toll road going this way? Is this a pretty popular commute route Irvine to Anaheim? Commuting 1 hour each way would not be possible and by default I guess we would have to choose East Lake.. Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County