Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 15,995 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am relocating from London, UK to Irvine for work early in 2011. Hoping to do some Snowboarding before the end of the Winter season.

Can anyone tell me how realistic it to get to ski resorts from Irvine for a weekend by car and what are the best locations?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:30 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Mt. Baldy is the closest, but Moutain High in Wrightwood isn't too much further and has many more lifts.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,122 times
entirely realistic! The drive is from 1 hour to 2, depending on where and the conditions.
I'm old school and haven't done any snowboarding, but my sons who still live in Orange Co. tell me that Bear Mountain and Snow Summit are their favorite snowboarding spots. Keep in mind, that better snow and conditions will always be found in higher mountains, but for local and ease of access, those places are completely acceptable.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 PM

11 posts, read 41,507 times
Mountain High near Wrightwood is your best bet. It's about an hour drive (without traffic), has lights for night skiing, and the best part is that there are no curvy mountain roads on the drive there. I like going during the week in the evenings.

Mt. Baldy is only open if there is natural snow. You need to drive up a mountain to get there.

Snow Summit/Bear Mountain in Big Bear is the most popular. Summit has lights for night skiing. The only problem is that it's the furthest from Orange County and has an extremely curvy mountain road that you have to use to get there.

I personally do not like the snow in So Cal. It's mostly man made and usually becomes ice rather quickly. But at least we have the opportunity over here...can't complain about that.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 AM

2 posts, read 15,995 times
Thanks everyone, very good info. Being close to some half decent resorts is great for evenings and weekends. Can always go farther for extended trips.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Mamoth for good skiing. It is do-able for a weekend. A three day weekend is better. We have done it several times with a load of teens fomr church. It is fun and very good skiing comparable to the Colorado Rockies, except not as dveloped/luxurious.

the local ski hills are ok, but if you are spoiled by skiing some of the better areas, got to mamoth. You will be happier despite the longer drive.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I have gone to Mammoth with groups with Gold Coast tours. We were 20 in our club going, the bus joined up on a couple other groups to fill it up. We had a large condo for two nights. The bus trip up is great, dvds on monitors thru out the bus. They filled up with 6 cases of beer for the trip up.

We stopped to pick up lunch orders in town before we returned. Back in town by 6 Sunday and it only cost $100 or so for the bus and condo. Lift tickets were on our own, but gold Coast has packages including that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: