Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 8,375 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the LA sub-thread but decided to post it here as well.

My boyfriend and I want to take a trip to "southern california" area around April 17-21. We haven't made any hotel reservations on the note that we are not sure exactly what part to stay in. We would have liked to stay in Santa Monica but hotel prices are above our budget. What area should we stay in that is relatively close to SM(under 50 min drive) but also not a shady area or too pricey? We are debating back in forth to stay above like in Thousand Oaks or lower such as Anaheim or Huntington Beach. Unless there is another area that would be cheaper on us with the hotel.
Our vacation is mostly going to be hanging out at the beach, going to bars/restaurants, shopping, and sight-seeing. Since we haven't booked anything officially we are pretty flexible. So if you have any fun ideas that we should also incorporate. We want to see and do things that usually tourists miss. We want to know your secrets! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
OC Would be a nice central location to visit both LA and SD.

San Diego offers alot, and is about a 2 hour trip south. You may want to check local hotels there.

Disney is a must do for any visitor. Tuesdays are best for Disney (but check your calendar for spring break) Knotts is a decent roller coaster park and much cheaper than Disney.

Santa Monica/Venice is a good day trip. I would recommend a Sunset Ranch Horseback (near the Hollywood Sign) Ride in the AM, then spend a few hours in Hollywood later in the day.

Truthfully speaking Hollywood and Santa Monica/Venice are essentially tourist traps and many people leave disappointed (at least my friends and family that insist on visiting those areas). If you do decide to go to Hollywood: Do the Rodeo Drive/Brentwood Scene for shopping.

2 internationally known shopping meccas are in OC. South Cost Plaza and Fashion Island and are about 5 miles apart.

There are some decent relatively inexpensive hotels on PCH near Huntington Harbor/Sunset Beach/Seal Beach. All with relatively easy freeway access. All are a very short Walk to the Beach.

Nightlife in Huntington Beach, Seal Beach and Long Beach would all be less than 7 miles away (and you can ride a bike along the trail (no motor traffic / chance of DUIs) to Downtown Huntington Beach. The Blues Cafe is walking distance from many of the Sunset Beach Hotels and Brings in some good (alternative) acts (the Dickies are playing this weekend).

The Tiki Show at Don the Beachcombers on PCH, the food is average, but the show is good. At least stop by for a drink.

I would also recommend dinner at the Crab Cooker then a few drinks at Blackies and Mutt Lynches on the Newport Peninsula (about a 12 mile Bike ride from the Sunset Beach Area). If you have time do the Ferry Ride from the Newport Peninsula to Balboa Island (or vice verse).

Make Sure you visit an In-N-Out, and Wahoos Fish Tacos at least once. If you are Knotts get a Chicken Dinner to Go.

Stupid fun could be the free Tethered Balloon at "The Great Park" at the old El Toro Airbase.

Just way too much to do around here.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM

10 posts, read 15,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess009 View Post
I posted this in the LA sub-thread but decided to post it here as well.

My boyfriend and I want to take a trip to "southern california" area around April 17-21. We haven't made any hotel reservations on the note that we are not sure exactly what part to stay in. We would have liked to stay in Santa Monica but hotel prices are above our budget. What area should we stay in that is relatively close to SM(under 50 min drive) but also not a shady area or too pricey? We are debating back in forth to stay above like in Thousand Oaks or lower such as Anaheim or Huntington Beach. Unless there is another area that would be cheaper on us with the hotel.
Our vacation is mostly going to be hanging out at the beach, going to bars/restaurants, shopping, and sight-seeing. Since we haven't booked anything officially we are pretty flexible. So if you have any fun ideas that we should also incorporate. We want to see and do things that usually tourists miss. We want to know your secrets! Thanks!

Laguna Beach

Google Search "laguna beach hotel"

Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Laguna is murder to get in and out of. A great place if you just want to stay around your hotel and relax ont he beach or in town.

If you just need a cheap place to sleep that is centrally located look in places like Costa Mesa, Irvine and evne some parts of Santa Ana.

There is a decent Best Western on Newport Blvd that is not a bad place and not too pricy. You do get quite a bit of noise from teh street, but it is not horrible. The two decent hotels in Santa Ana that I can think of keep chaging names. One was an Embassy Suites for a while. Not sure what it is now.

Irvine is loaded with hotels, but many are quite expensive. Anaheim had loads as well, but you pay to be near disneyland.

These are places to sleep that are near freeways to get you to LA and San Diego. They are not destination type places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County