Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM

590 posts, read 1,248,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALAFAT View Post
Thanks BRinSM and drshang,
My wife won't be able to work since she will come as an H1b dependent (H4). That is a big problem but at least we can save a little bit on taxes filling jointly. As far as I know I am supposed to pay as much taxes as a US citizen.
UC system offers a nice package of benefits including health care insurance. I am not sure but I think that UC and employee shares the cost 50-50%.

as for healthcare costs at UC...am not sure..but it likely is a couple hundred dollars a month for a family of three..with attendant deductibles and copays..actually that is pretty standard...share of costs I mean..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i'm low level management as is my wife and our premiums are covered 100% by our current employers as well as previous employers. even if we weren't in management it wouldn't cost us anything. I know others in the same situation.

as for taxes, i my have over estimated. i was applying my unfortunate circumstances to your situation. a non working wife and child will lower your tax liability significantly. for those of us with no kids, no houses, and two similar incomes, we're screwed and pay closer to 1/3 of our gross income. sorry for the scare. however, i'm not sure if your non-resident status affects anything. you may want to discuss with a cpa or tax attorney.

am in the healthcare field for many years...even Kaiser Permanente which DOES pay full premiums for their employees that fit the hours worked criteria..still pay copays for visits and drugs...tho not a large amount

am curious what companies pay 100% and have little or no share of costs...likely it is HMO coverage..which many doctors and providers no longer accept..plus drugs are likely limited to generics on their formulary..plus with HMO you cannot decide for instance to jump the fence and insist upon going to UCLA or Loma Linda if you need say a heart or liver transplant..

we have NEVER had HMO coverage...I insist upon total choice..when hubby was working (as CEO of international company)...yes we paid NO premiums..tho we did have copays for visits and meds...I felt it was a bargain..

once we both retired at age 60..we purchased coverage...luckily we did..first COBRA,,then extended COBRA (which has since been limited in how many months you can stay on it)...we were paying outrageous monthly premiums (waiting til age 65 for Medicare)..we had one year where our monthly was 1800 a month..yep you read that right!!...ironically ..in those 5 years hubby had heart attack,,angioplasty , stents,,and then open heart...when we saw what the hospital and doctors charged (which we did not have to pay)...we sorta felt we got our money's worth..now he is 71 and I 66,,,our Medicare part B costs 98 bucks a month..and we have supplementals..his is 255 a month ,,and mine is 185 (goes up with age)...do the math..just paying premiums is a lot of money...again..as a healthcare professional I always insist..and pay for..PPO coverage to give me total choice...

sorry for the rant..one of my pet peeves as you can guess

Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM

8 posts, read 69,380 times
thanks to all for all the informations and recommendations that you provided !
does anybody know if there are some sample budgets pointing different expense items in internet ??

cheers

Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i'm low level management as is my wife and our premiums are covered 100% by our current employers as well as previous employers. even if we weren't in management it wouldn't cost us anything. I know others in the same situation.

as for taxes, i my have over estimated. i was applying my unfortunate circumstances to your situation. a non working wife and child will lower your tax liability significantly. for those of us with no kids, no houses, and two similar incomes, we're screwed and pay closer to 1/3 of our gross income. sorry for the scare. however, i'm not sure if your non-resident status affects anything. you may want to discuss with a cpa or tax attorney.

if you do a quick google search...approx 77% of Americans are paying premiums for healthcare thru their employers...some areas of the county do indeed pay all of the premiums...Ca is not one of them...

would be curious what companies and where located...

again..just a suggestion as to how to prepare for costs here in Ca

UC system does not pay 90 percent .that I know..

Old 09-30-2011, 04:22 AM

8 posts, read 28,553 times
Default Monthly Expenditure chart

Hi All,

This thread has been very very helpful in arriving at a rough monthly expenses figure for myself. I'm scheduled to move from Bangalore, India to Aliso Viejo starting December 2011.
After reading all your posts on the thread I have put down a rough estimate of the expenses that a family of 2 Adults and 1 kid might incur.

1. Apartment $1500 (Single bedroom apartment)
2. Car insurance $150 (Average Car insurance)
3. Gas and Car Maintenance $150 (Average Car Fuel and Maintenance expenditure)
4. Utilities $300 (internet, cable, landline, gas and electric, trash and sewage)
5. Grocery $800 (Expenditure for 2 Adults and 1 Kid)
6. Mobile Phone $65 (monthly cell phone charge for 1 cell phone)
7. Schools ??? (For an elementary school)
8. Tax Federal 13% (Average Tax - Single earner filing joint)
9. Tax State 5% (Single earner filing joint)
10.Tax Social Security/medicare 7%
11.Tax California disability 1%

I would be a great help if someone can help me answer the following questions
1. Are these figures a correct estimate of the expenses?
2. How much would I be spending on schooling of my daughter (she is 3 yrs 4 months now in Sept)?
3. Have I missed any other component in the expenses?

Your help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeemkittur View Post
Hi All,

This thread has been very very helpful in arriving at a rough monthly expenses figure for myself. I'm scheduled to move from Bangalore, India to Aliso Viejo starting December 2011.
After reading all your posts on the thread I have put down a rough estimate of the expenses that a family of 2 Adults and 1 kid might incur.

4. Utilities $300 (internet, cable, landline, gas and electric, trash and sewage)

2. How much would I be spending on schooling of my daughter (she is 3 yrs 4 months now in Sept)?

Thanks

not sure about most of your predictions...except I doubt you will spend 800 a month on groceries!!...we have many "big box" stores ie Costco..where yes the quantities are larger (can be a storage issue)..but they have all kinds of "bargains" in fresh meat, poultry, fish..produce..and a lot of choice in frozen stuff, cereal etc...
have also discovered lately that Target..yeah Target..esp those called "super Targets)...have now added food..have compared prices to local supermarkets..often find a 1 dollar difference (lower) than my fave grocery store (which is Albertsons BTW..cheaper than Ralphs)...Target has all kinds of dry ie cereal..that is much cheaper than supermarkets..

we also have a lot of fresh produce places...the produce can be a bit pricier than the supermarkets..but is better usually..have learned to avoid buying basics like milk and bread there (cheaper at Target!!)

good luck...sounds like you have figured out our tax system (good luck)...
curious what you found out about health insurance costs?? try and keep to PPO if you can...
am a pro at health ins questions..again..HMO is cheaper but many providers are starting not to take it...with the exception of Kaiser...worked for them for 20 years...in OC we gave excellent care..they recently built a new hospital..clinics everywhere for non inpatient care..and excellent docs ..

again good luck

Old 09-30-2011, 03:16 PM

46 posts, read 207,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naeemkittur View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
Are you planning to bring a car over?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
not sure about most of your predictions...except I doubt you will spend 800 a month on groceries!!...we have many "big box" stores ie Costco..where yes the quantities are larger (can be a storage issue)..but they have all kinds of "bargains" in fresh meat, poultry, fish..produce..and a lot of choice in frozen stuff, cereal etc...
have also discovered lately that Target..yeah Target..esp those called "super Targets)...have now added food..have compared prices to local supermarkets..often find a 1 dollar difference (lower) than my fave grocery store (which is Albertsons BTW..cheaper than Ralphs)...Target has all kinds of dry ie cereal..that is much cheaper than supermarkets..

we also have a lot of fresh produce places...the produce can be a bit pricier than the supermarkets..but is better usually..have learned to avoid buying basics like milk and bread there (cheaper at Target!!)

good luck...sounds like you have figured out our tax system (good luck)...
curious what you found out about health insurance costs?? try and keep to PPO if you can...
am a pro at health ins questions..again..HMO is cheaper but many providers are starting not to take it...with the exception of Kaiser...worked for them for 20 years...in OC we gave excellent care..they recently built a new hospital..clinics everywhere for non inpatient care..and excellent docs ..

again good luck
@nurserosie - Thanks for that wonderful list of stores whereby I can reduce my monthly grocery bills. The only reason for pitting my Grocery bills at 800 was that Indian produce (suiting the Indian pallette) might be a bit pricey !!!
About the health insurance. I'm working for a global IT giant and they will be taking care of mine and my family's healthcare (copays and some incidentals might be going out of my pocket though) but could you please let me know out of your experience how much might I be spending on schooling for my daughter ??? and also are the indicative $ figures that I have put up good enough ???

Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain112 View Post
Are you planning to bring a car over?
@purplerain - No I cannot bring my car over from India. I'd be planning to buy a car locally. Would my car associated costs and other costs be good enough for me and my family ???

Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALAFAT View Post
1/3 of the gross income !!!! This is crazy, rise a little bit more, you reach the tax rates in Denmark, Norway... where you spend not even one cent for health, childcare and education of children among other services for having paid high tax rates.
Is this the fixed rate including one person working couples with one child ?
A huge bite out from the income...
Welcome to the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County