Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen83 View Post
Just a tip from my own experience...

Wait to buy your Disneyland passes until you get here. You can buy them at Vons and you will be charged the SoCal Resident price which is less than you would otherwise pay. If I were you, I would definitely want two days to see the park. It can be done in one day, but you will be exhausted and probably have to pick and choose which attractions are worth your time. If you go to Vons, you can get a decent deal on a two day park hopper pass which will allow you to see both parks, and then with two days you would have plenty of time to make the most of the visit.

Have fun!
Ralphs has the same deal.

$99 - two days, two parks, one park each day

or

$109 - two days, two parks, both parks each day

Parking is $15 per day.

You might get a better deal through your work/union or the AAA. Ask around before you leave home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,696 times
These SoCal DL passes may not be for us as we are from out of state since they sound like tickets for CA residents? I've heard they even check ID at the gates sometimes even if you let a buddy from CA buy the tickets for you?

Our trip is planned for Feb. We are staying near DL so a trip to Legoland or even the beach sounds like it would require a car rental (and a carseat if they offer those?). Have not checked out the Knott's Berry Farm website yet but will check it out as well. Still debating on the 1 day vs 2 day and still debating if CA adventures is gonna be worthwhile or not.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:50 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
I'm pretty certain you can get a deal similar to the Southern California discount if you are a union member. If you aren't, ask a friend who is.

If you can manage to stay four days, Costco has a really good deal right now - four day park hoppers $199.99, but you get a $50 gift card with the ticket.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
If you are "Disney people" I would take two days. That way you aren't rushed. February is usually not crowded unless it's President's Day weekend. It will be jammed then. Character photos (including Princesses): You do not have to buy the Disney photos. You can take your own. There is always a handler with the character and that person will use your camera if you request. He'll give you a card on how to buy the photos from Disney. You'll see people lining up for the characters at various spots in the park.

Near the Matterhorn is a spot with Tinkerbell and all the Faries. A "Must" stop for your daughter! Toontown is also a have-to-see. You can get photos with Mickey and Minnie inside their houses. (Mickey is also out on Main Street but the lines can get long.)

There is a piano player on Main Street who plays songs. In the afternoon Alice in Wonderland and her buddies come out and they play musical chairs. Not to be missed with a young girl.

Stop at City Hall on Main Street and get a "My First Visit" badge. Free. The Cast Members (employees) will make a big fuss over her. You can also get a Birthday Badge if anyone is celebrating.

Fireworks: Getting a prime seat can be one big mess and a very long wait. Head over to the above mentioned Coke Corner. It's a pretty decent view and no one wll get trampled.

Monorail: Ask to ride with the "Pilot" when you get to the top of the escalator. If there is room you can sit in the very front cabin. Haunted Mansion (may be too spooky) but you can ask a CM for a Death Certificate. Mark Twain: Ask to ride up on top with the captain. Say pretty please and have a smile on your face and don't be pushy. They may let her ring the bell and blow the whistle! Jungle Cruise: Ask for a souvenir map from the CMs.

If she's a Mary Poppins fan: Bert and Mary are most often on Main Street. They can also be seen on the Carosel. Look for the white horse with bells. It's name is Jingles and it was dedicated by Julie Andrews. (It's on the outside.)

Parades: Try and get a curb seat but you'll have to get there early. One of the best places to see it is near "It's a Small World". The parades originate from a spot in back of IASW and the crowds aren't as bad as on Main Street.

Look into "Magic Morning". It is usually part of the deal if you get your tickets from your Hotel. It gets you into Fantasyland an hour before the park opens and is totally worth it. You can also get onto the Submarine Ride (Nemo) at that time.

There is a Star Wars show at different times in Tomorrowland. They choose kids from the audience and give them swords and act out being a Jedi. Very cool if she likes Star Wars.

Be sure you get her some sort of an autograph book before you start. They can be bought at the park or use your own. All of the characters sign autographs and it is a big deal for little kids.

If I think of anything else I'll post it. That's the hi-lites! You should have a great time.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 13,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
These SoCal DL passes may not be for us as we are from out of state since they sound like tickets for CA residents? I've heard they even check ID at the gates sometimes even if you let a buddy from CA buy the tickets for you?
I can only speak from my own experience, so others should feel free to add their two cents. I just moved to OC from Northern California and I have used the SoCal resident passes from the grocery stores many times in the past when I would come to visit. I was never asked to prove that I lived in Southern California either at the grocery store or at the gate. I don't think it's very strictly enforced since they will make plenty of money off of you either way. It's up to you if you want to take the risk, but I've always found it to be worth it.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM

512 posts, read 948,027 times
I third the recommendations on Knott's Berry Farm! I also recommend for a fun day: Pretend City Children's Museum (opens at 10am), Farrell's Ice Parlour (for lunch and not too far from the museum) and then Newport Beach.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 PM

394 posts, read 966,995 times
I always take out-of-town guests to Newport and/or Balboa for the beach experience. Corona Del Mar has some really cool tide pools that you can access at low tide. If the waves are big, The Wedge is spectacular. Riding the ferry to Balboa Island and eating a frozen chocolate-covered banana is a great experience.

D'land can be a zoo so be prepared. But, it is everything you would expect it to be. And the Double-Double is available in more and more places every month, it seems!

Enjoy your stay behind the Orange Curtain!!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,489 times
I definately would go to huntington beach for a day, they have nice little shops, a great beach and it makes for a nice day. Just have enough parking meter change someone told me if you get a parking ticket there it is $45. Have fun.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 PM

76 posts, read 174,107 times
At least two days at Dland. We live 30 mins form the park and go for a 4 day vacation there at least once a year. The more days you spend in the park, the less rushed you will feel. Your daughter will have time to just play as well as go on all the rides and see the characters. If I had a 4 day trip to So CA, I would spend the time at Disney and skip Knotts, unless you love rollercoasters. Skip Knotts, stay with Disney. Feel free to PM me with any questions. We have four kids that we have been taking to the park since they were born, oldest is now 12, youngest is 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County