Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times

Advertisements

I lived in Santa Ana back in the early 70's and it was okay then. It was a four-plex apartment at Goldenwest & Aurora, across Fairview from Calvary Chapel.

It's probably been 37 years since I was last in the neighborhood. What's it like today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 15,653 times
Most of the offices in my area are dying out exept for the so called "medical dispenaries" I have to lock the office door because of all the annoying foot traffic...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 PM

143 posts, read 431,327 times
Yes, there are good areas in Santa Ana. For example, Jamboree and Main (by John Wayne airport), Santa Ana Heights is VERY expensive.

If you are looking for a safe place to live for less money, how about Rancho Santa Margarita? Awesome community. Or there are condos in Dana Point/San Clemente and even Newport Beach, yes!, that are cheap and are in much better areas. San Juan Capistrano?

Unfortunately, Santa Ana has a bad name. You have not mentioned your price range, so I am guessing that it is $100,000 or less. In that case, you might want to go a bit east into Corona. Honestly, that is a great town to live in and you can get a lot for your money these days.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCali View Post
Yes, there are good areas in Santa Ana. For example, Jamboree and Main (by John Wayne airport), Santa Ana Heights is VERY expensive.
Uh, Jamboree and Main is Irvine. Santa Ana Heights is an unincorporated (or recently annexed) section along Santa Ana Ave in Costa Mesa/Newport.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 PM

500 posts, read 841,098 times
Yes, you're right, I'm at the low end of the budget, 100K, so Newport beach, San Clemente, etc are out of reach. I was looking at the cluster of condos located around Warmer and Raitt streets.
It would seem like the nicer areas in Santa Ana would be too expensive for me. I'm looking into north SD county and Temecula valley as well at this point. I wanted to be closer to OC job market, especially Irwine... and Santa Ana is the only option in OC for the price. Rancho Santa Margarita sounds nice but is just a bit outside my price limit.

When you're buying with a budget, you have to be sure you're not at the lowest end for the area/town, because you'll get crappy place with problems.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
You could look into Garden Grove.. it's comparable to the better areas in Santa Ana and might not be much more expensive.. for a reason though (since it's further away from where most of the jobs are.) If your commute is an issue, try Tustin (outside of the Tustin Ranch), also comparable to the better areas of Santa Ana. My friend rents an apartment in Santa Ana around MacArthur and Main, within walking distance of Irvine.. says not much different from Irvine and pays Santa Ana rents. I'm not sure how much the condos in that area would cost.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
YI'm looking into north SD county and Temecula valley as well at this point.
You're going to find much better values in the Temecula Valley. The prices in Temecula are very reasonable for what you get in terms of amenities, safety, etc. North SD county is expensive.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Trust me, there's nothing in Tustin that comes down to 100K, neither in Garden Grove. May be in Garden grove (like only a couple of units under 100K were sold in the last year). Looks like my money are just not getting me anywhere near OC.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You're going to find much better values in the Temecula Valley. The prices in Temecula are very reasonable for what you get in terms of amenities, safety, etc. North SD county is expensive.
Yes, I thought about it a lot. I like Temecula valley a lot (except the lack of employment)
And true north SD county is more expensive than Temecula valley, though property values in north county
are similar to southern part of Temecula Valley.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:52 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You're going to find much better values in the Temecula Valley. The prices in Temecula are very reasonable for what you get in terms of amenities, safety, etc.
....long commute times to OC....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County