Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,941,722 times

Advertisements

If $100k is the largest mortgage you can afford, I'd really consider renting as a primary option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,904,595 times
If $100k is his limit, there is always the possibility of Habitat for Humanity.

Habitat for Humanity of Orange County

Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 PM

3,231 posts, read 6,275,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
No idea. I do know that Atlanta is one place I would have no interest at all in moving to. Even if I were given one of those homes. The Summers are horrible (humidity, flying cockroaches galore. Overall unpleasant).
Here is my theory why those homes are so inexpensive. First there are few geographical limits to growth in that region so they just kept building outwards. Also there were few government imposed restrictions against growth. This led to massive overbuilding in the region. Also some misguided subdivision HOAs instituted a "no renting " policy to "preserve their property values". This of course backfired and prevents investor buying so there are fewer buyers to prop up prices.

The Atlanta climate is not that bad due to the 1000 ft. elevation which moderates the humidity. It is much better than summer in Florida or in cities closer to the Gulf Coast. The Places Rated Almanac ranked Atlanta climate 24th out of 333 cities. Of course the top ten are all California coastal locations.

Orange County is absolutely one of the best places to live for a high income professional. For a lower or moderate income person with a family I think there are many other choices in the US that would offer much better housing and less financial pressure.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 AM

10,263 posts, read 12,483,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Here is my theory why those homes are so inexpensive. First there are few geographical limits to growth in that region so they just kept building outwards. Also there were few government imposed restrictions against growth. This led to massive overbuilding in the region. Also some misguided subdivision HOAs instituted a "no renting " policy to "preserve their property values". This of course backfired and prevents investor buying so there are fewer buyers to prop up prices.

The Atlanta climate is not that bad due to the 1000 ft. elevation which moderates the humidity. It is much better than summer in Florida or in cities closer to the Gulf Coast. The Places Rated Almanac ranked Atlanta climate 24th out of 333 cities. Of course the top ten are all California coastal locations.

Orange County is absolutely one of the best places to live for a high income professional. For a lower or moderate income person with a family I think there are many other choices in the US that would offer much better housing and less financial pressure.

Maybe that could be a good idea to start a business in OC but i suppose that there is lots competition

Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM

500 posts, read 839,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
If $100k is the largest mortgage you can afford, I'd really consider renting as a primary option.
I have 100K cash, don't ever borrow.
Renting is ridiculous and damaging to human dignity and pocket.
LOL, paying mortgage of some crazy abusive person (who wants u to pay but NOT to live there)... OMG not again!
Like I said, the world doesn't start or end in OC... I'm just researching and open to places South and East of OC.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM

My point is that one needs to live in a place they like and enjoy, because they might not be around tomorrow. Moving hell knows where waiting for their dreams to come true, some day, one day, only to die and never see them come true... what a waste of life.
I grew up in over 10 million city so I wouldn't move far away from LA metro, there's nothing to do for me away from LA/IE. Definitely don't want to ever have a family and be stuck with mortgage... so I'm cool with modest small-ish 2bdr apartment.
I'm actually a so-called "professional" (with two engineering degrees).. but I think I can even survive doing blue-collar work if I go to Temecula valley... cause I don't care for money, dream houses, expensive new cars...rat race. If I cared, I'd have stayed in Silicone Valley.
Damn, I hate the word "professional". Everyone who's good at some work is a professional, even if it's greeting customers at the store.

Last edited by xani; 01-29-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

Your last statement is correct and I think that something is profoundly wrong with this situation. I hate what happened to SF bay area, when yuppies pushed the native population out and keep pushing. There're no families left in SF (unless it's foreign engineer families)

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,941,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
My point is that one needs to live in a place they like and enjoy, because they might not be around tomorrow.
I agree, and that's why I think if you want quality housing in Orange County, you'll either need to take out a mortgage, or rent out a place.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,442,452 times
Where are $123,000 homes in O.C.? | business, days, ending - The Orange County Register

Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM

300 posts, read 1,256,011 times
Yes, there are. But you would have to be a local or OC native to know where they are. =) The Santa Ana city lines are kinda crazy. In the hills, right next to Tustin (Cowan Heights area) is technically Santa Ana and the houses are on a hill with amazing views, cute traditional ranch architecture and they aren't cheap. $1M and up, *maybe* some in the 800's right now.

Also, Floral Park is a famous neighborhood in Santa Ana. Its surrounded by kinda' "ghetto" stuff, but the neighborhood is famous and beautiful with mature trees, beautiful architecture, unique homes, some of the homes are on the Historic Registry. There is a mix of architectural styles, from Colonial and Federalist to Romantic Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival and Monterey Style. There is a yearly home tour if you are interested. Just google Floral Park Home Tour and you should find info. The homes are pricey, and if you have kids would have to send them to private schools....but the neighborhood if gorgeous and very safe (even though its ungated...for some reason you just don't get a lot of vandalism or riff-raff roaming around).

Also, what you have to keep in mind...is that Santa Ana is labeled "ghetto" because there is a huge illegal Mexican population there. Some of the residents may in fact be legal, but my and large- its a blue collar, illegal, day-labor and "anchor baby" Mexican-resident city. I think they are drawn to the city because lots of mexicans are already there, and its cheap rent/cheap house mecca. SOME areas DO have gangs and a lot of crime, but most of the areas are populated by hard working and honest people just trying to make it and give their family a better opportunity. Not that I agree they should come here by breaking the law, but they are usually nice and decent people who keep to themselves. The reason why the schools are so horrible is almost all the kids are English as a second language, and they don't get English in their home and our lovely CA schools cater to the fact they don't speak English and don't really help them much in that department. SO, it waters down the education when the language barrier is so incredibly high. And, while almost every Mexican I have ever met is very hard working and nice...they, on the whole, don't value education as much as other immigrants (such as Asians and Indians), so its not a HUGE priority in the home, and they also tend to not bother with assimilation....so the parents aren't out there actively trying to learn English or encourage education in the home. I realize these are SWEEPING comments, but that is the general "overview". I just want to convey that "ghetto" isn't always "unsafe". I don't mean to offend anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County