Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,562 times

Advertisements

To give some more details, I am considering a move to Orange County in the near future. I've got a few questions that I'll list below, and help on any or all of them is greatly appreciated!

1) I currently live in Boston (been here all my life). I HATE the cold. Am I going to be culture shocked (I'm expecting laid back lifestyle, nice weather, beach, and similar costs to living in Boston)?

2) I will be commuting to night school at UCLA. I know CA traffic is horrendous. What am I really looking at for a commute to LA (leaving OC at 2 PMish, reverse commute)? It will only be twice a week.

3) I will be moving with my GF. We currently pay $1500 for a decent 1 BR in the best area of Boston. What can we expect for this price, and what cities could we expect to live in? I'd love to live as close to the water as possible.

4) More importantly, what areas do we want to avoid?

5) My GF is a teacher (moderate special needs; fluent in Spanish). What are teacher salaries like in this area of CA? She will have 4 years experience, a B.A. in Education and Spanish, and M.Ed. in Special Ed. Her current pay here is around $48k.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic_Lemons View Post
To give some more details, I am considering a move to Orange County in the near future. I've got a few questions that I'll list below, and help on any or all of them is greatly appreciated!

1) I currently live in Boston (been here all my life). I HATE the cold. Am I going to be culture shocked (I'm expecting laid back lifestyle, nice weather, beach, and similar costs to living in Boston)?

2) I will be commuting to night school at UCLA. I know CA traffic is horrendous. What am I really looking at for a commute to LA (leaving OC at 2 PMish, reverse commute)? It will only be twice a week.

3) I will be moving with my GF. We currently pay $1500 for a decent 1 BR in the best area of Boston. What can we expect for this price, and what cities could we expect to live in? I'd love to live as close to the water as possible.

4) More importantly, what areas do we want to avoid?

5) My GF is a teacher (moderate special needs; fluent in Spanish). What are teacher salaries like in this area of CA? She will have 4 years experience, a B.A. in Education and Spanish, and M.Ed. in Special Ed. Her current pay here is around $48k.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Even at 2PM traffic to UCLA will be insane.

Where will you two be working?

Colts up end New England, 38-34

TNJN - J-E-T-S over P-A-T-S in AFC Divisional Playoff Showdown

New York Giants Stun New England Patriots 17-14 in Super Bowl XLII - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

NFL Playoffs: Jets Upset Patriots, Will Face Steelers In AFC Championship Game - Stampede Blue

Lakers Defeat Celtics To Win NBA Championship | The Urban Daily

Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
First, your GF will need to get a CA credential. I'm not sure if MA credentials are transferable(if they're transferable at all). Fluent Spanish makes her probably one of the most desirable candidates around.

As far as where to live, coastal OC and coastal Long Beach are pretty much all good. At your price you can find pretty much anything from Long Beach through Huntington Beach. If you want something urban but laid back, check out Belmont Shore in Long Beach. If you want something less urban and laid back, check out Seal Beach. Either place should have studios or 1bd apts in your range.

Keep in mind that UCLA is a hell of a drive

Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic_Lemons View Post
Could you take classes at UCI instead? They're both part of the same state college system. UCI would be a lot closer.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 PM

I'll be working remotely for my company based in Boston, so I'm really location agnostic in that sense. I'd like to have decent space, maybe enough for a dedicated office/workspace, but don't need a 2 BR. GF does not have a job, but you can teach anywhere.

I'm aware of obtaining proper licenses for teaching, and I believe MA is transferable to CA, but if not, we'll take care of that well before moving.

My main purpose for moving will be to go to the part time UCLA MBA program, so I think I'm pretty set that I need to take classes there, but like I said, it's only twice a week so I can deal with a crappy drive twice a week...right? RIGHT??

Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 PM

512 posts, read 947,952 times
[quote=Plastic_Lemons;17627830]My main purpose for moving will be to go to the part time UCLA MBA program, so I think I'm pretty set that I need to take classes there, but like I said, it's only twice a week so I can deal with a crappy drive twice a week...right? RIGHT??[/QUOTE

I've done that commute and you're right if you leave at 2 pm you should be ok I like to use sigalert.com on my iPhone in case I need to make a detour due to an accident.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:08 AM

394 posts, read 966,922 times
I would have to disagree with anyone who says that the commute between Irvine and Westwood would be tolerable. It would take over an hour on a good day - one way. There are very few good days on the LA Freeways. I would NOT want to make that commute once a week - or even once a month.

It was suggested by bhcompy that you consider Long Beach as an alternate destination. I would agree with that. Belmont Shore is great, Naples is interesting and the downtown area has been going thru some major upgrades over the past 15 to 20 years and is quite attractive. Plus, it's approx halfway between Irvine and Westwood and freeway close - unlike many beach cities in SoCal.

However, as a native of Southern California I am required to do what I can to convince people from the east that moving to California is a bad idea - so here goes...

Reasons to stay away, in no particular order:
1. Earthquakes
2. Traffic
3. The over-abundance of ex-New Yorkers
4. Higher than average property values
5. Higher than average taxes
6. EARTHQUAKES!
7. Effed-up state government
8. Truly, our state government is effed up!
9. Illegal immigrants
10. Earthquakes

I will add more reasons to consider another destination as I think of them!

Oh, and Welcome! ;-}

Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
11. No jobs

Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM

I'd be interested hearing more about Long Beach. What's the atmosphere there? Are there good bars, restaurants, beaches, etc...? Overall, is it a decent place for twenty-somethings to live?

Realistically, I don't care if my commute is 1 hour each way, even 2 hours once in a while isn't bad. I'm going to be working out of my apartment and won't mind getting out a couple times a week.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:59 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Long Beach is a pretty awesome city, with almost every type of neighborhood and most have easy access to the freeways.

My personal choice would be the Belmont Shore / Alamitos Bay Area which as a great range of bars, beaches and restaurants. You should be able to find a something for 1500.

and like everyone else has mentioned, Traffic around here is pretty terrible. There have been times it took me 2 hours to go twenty miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County