Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,330,839 times

Advertisements

i'm in town on business. catching a ducks game wednesday night. wondering what else i should do? any good "gentlemen's" clubs worth visiting? any good bars? got a few recommendations, looking for more. how about some fun people watching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,356,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm in town on business. catching a ducks game wednesday night. wondering what else i should do? any good "gentlemen's" clubs worth visiting? any good bars? got a few recommendations, looking for more. how about some fun people watching?

Good bars are all over the place. what ype of place are you looking for? One if my favorites is Goat HIll Tavern in Costa MEsa, but that is because they have lots of different beers on tap, it is nto a meat parket type of place.

If you want to see naked skanky drug addicts dance, yu pretty much have to go up to LA (near the airport). That is a place in South County or was. It is called Mr. Somethings (Mr. Stax? Mr. Floods? I do not know). Lots of hookers hang out around the Ducks stadium area, so you could probably just hire one to dance naked for you. We used to see a lot of hookers in Santa Ana at 4th street and Main or Bush. However be careful there, many of them are guys dressed as women. However enven the transvestite guys will be happy to dance naked for you for a few bucks. Heck, som of them will probably dance naked right on the street if you want.

Fun people watching is best up in Venice Beach (near Santa Monica). However all fo the Beaches are great for people watching. There are some nice bars at the major beaches as well.

Las Vegas is not too far away (maybe 6 hour drive).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-01-2011 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM

lol. i'll stick to goat hill tavern and avoid the hookers. someone else recommended the same bar.

We may hit a beach for people watching if we can cut out earlier one day. thanks!

how about restaurants that don't cost a fortune?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM

What is a fortune?

There are so many resturuants withing a square mile that it is hard to even begin. If you have never been to a claim jumper, I would recommend that. It is a small chain. Huge portions, very good food.

Orange County Mining Company in Orange has good food and spectacular views. Go on a clear day. Just a little bit higher in elevation and quite a bit higher in price is Orange Hill resturaunt. Really good food and even better views, but figure on $50 each if you have wine. They have a great sunday Brunch. I think that it was $33 per person last time I went (It has bene a while).

For burgers/fast food be sure to try In & Out, Carl's Jr. (Six dollar Western Bacon Cheesburger); and Knowlwoods (on 17th street just off the 55 freeway - not a chain only one location)

Very good chinese food at Yen Ching on Grand/Glassell just of fthe 22 freeway. Fresh!

IN Anaheim THe Catch is a good place and not outrageous. At South Coast PLaza there is Biraporettis (Italian), *****'s for fish; and a middle eastern resturant (Daria?). IN downtown santa Ana Memphis is good. The Gypsy Den is a neat place.

In Orange Felix's is decent cuban food, The illing Station is good but slow. Out on Tustin Ave north of Chapman on the left side just past Aurthurs is a little italian place SOmethign Genovese I think. Great italian food, great atmosphere, great owners.

In Irvine and south Orange COunty I mostly remember chains. I cannot think of the names of some of the independant places but there are some good one. (Purple Dove? Purple something was quite good).

IN Balboa, Royal Thai Cuisine is good, but not great. The palce on the corner of something (Main?)and Balboa Blvd has a wild game night that can be interesting. Newport Landing is decent and has great views. Kind of expsneive though.

In Fullteron Summit House is good. More of an older people place though. There is a really good pizza place right in downtwon Fullerton, someone can fill in thename for you if you want it.

Every Applebees type chain in exisitence exists in abundance in Orange County. Red Robin, Polly's Pies, Chilis, California Pizza Kitchen, Marie Calenders (maybe. a lot of them closed, maybe they are all gone), Logan's Roadhouse dozens of them all over the place. (Actually I am nto sure about Logans, but that type of place abounds everywhere.).

Ask me again when I am not struggling to keep my eyes open and work. I will think more clearly some other tiime

Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM

we went to claim jumper. was good. bartenders were super nice too. we had checked out "Scott's Restaurant and Bar" and it was more expensive. We don't want to eat all chain restaurants, but we're on a daily expense budget, unless we want to spend our own money of course. Always appreciate some good "local" suggestions when traveling.

thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,829,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
and Knowlwoods (on 17th street just off the 55 freeway - not a chain only one location)
Knowlwood's is awesome, but it is actually a chain. There's one in Laguna Niguel and there's one in Irvine near the La Quinta, behind the Denny's.

Oh and I think the place by the Pond is called Mr. Stoxx, which oddly, I just read about in some food magazine, and is supposed to be really high end food.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM

also - i was at orange hill last time i was in town. very good, but i do think it was around $50 each. which isn't necessarily expensive, but it cuts into our daily budget pretty well. lol

Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 PM

IF you really want a neat dining experience, get reservatiosn for The Hobbit. But it was $250 for two people last time I went (with wine). Seven Course meal, one sitting per night. Dinner is something like 3 hours long and includes an intermission. A 3 hour dinner sounded awful to me, but it was actually very nice.

If you go there for dinner, skip lunch and eat a light breakfast.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 PM

El Torrito grill is also quite nice. It is a chain, nnot sure how big. There is one in Irvine jsut off Macarthur. Main Street maybe?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
IF you really want a neat dining experience, get reservatiosn for The Hobbit. But it was $250 for two people last time I went (with wine). Seven Course meal, one sitting per night. Dinner is something like 3 hours long and includes an intermission. A 3 hour dinner sounded awful to me, but it was actually very nice.

If you go there for dinner, skip lunch and eat a light breakfast.
i'll do that when i'm eventually in the area with the wife. not sure i want to spend 3 hours with coworkers after spending all day with them. ha! just kidding, but only partially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County