Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,741 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
I've noticed this forum is a great resource for EDD questions, and there are some experts on their inane rules in California. Ok, heres my question: Is this scenario legal?

My claim year ended 11.01.10., I got an award letter from EDD for $85 per week from base earnings (waiting tables) in the summer of 09. They also requested earnings statements from the past 18 months, which I sent them with a letter saying they didn't count all my earnings. Big mistake! First of all, my job student teaching doesn't count toward base earnings (of course! neither do tips; they must constitute 90% of earnings, but they still want you to report them so they can pay you less weekly).
They shut down my benefits for 2 months over the holidays, it sucked, and conducted an "investigation." When they finally got around to asking me if I was a student teacher during an interview in January, I said yes; I didn't realize it didn't count. Since I had a live person on the phone, I asked why I couldn't just file an extension, as I was eligible, and brought up the fact that I work part time, so I wouldn't be able to collect the $93 each week because I make that. She agreed, and they filed an extension.
I was approved for an extension retroactively in January for my claim in November, and I was to get about $300 per week and there was $4000 in my claim. Everything was going well for about 3 weeks, then they started sending me all my claim forms back, saying they were filled out wrong. which they weren't. I was especially mad because I was just trying to get caught up from the 3 months they were turned off. Then, I got a letter saying they wanted to interview me on 02.03.11. I was puzzled, but I thought maybe they can't read my handwriting or something. They didn't call me; they missed their own appointment.
Finally, the climax of this tale of woe: I got an award letter today stating I have a new claim starting 01.02.11 with a weekly benefit amount of $61 from my base earnings in July-September of 2010. How can they just open a new claim for me and change my base period? If they would have kept the old one, I would have at least gotten $93 weekly. I'm mad, upset, and stressed out. Anyone have any ideas on what is going on or what I can do to rectify this situation? How can they open a new claim when I was on an extension, my benefit year was not up, and I had money in my claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County