Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 7,192 times

Advertisements

It will be some what of a shock to us as we are leaving a small farm (49 acres) and coming to CA. Silverado and Carbon canyon sounds nice but it all depends on the commute to Santa Ana. Further south also sounds nice as well. What aggrevates me is I am trying to find a rental house and almost all the houses listed on craigslist is for foreclosures or spam. Anyone know of another resource for rentals - SFR? Alot of great information from you guys. I greatly appreciate it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
You can try a realtor. We always just drove around to find rentals. The best ones usually do not advertise, they just put up a sign and poof it is rented. In floral park you will need a realtor. A local one. Rentals are difficult to find in Orange certain times of the eyar becasue there is a college there. Silverado, I am not sure how you find rentals. There is a library there, you could stop in and ask them for help. There was once a little newspaper there, but I think it is gone.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Try realtor.com. Here are a few Aliso listings to get you started. You might also want to try Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills and Mission Viejo. Hmmm, with further inspection, I see that 5 Colony Way is listed as a "detached condo." BTW, it's in a very nice and quiet area near Wood Canyon and Soka University.

5 Colony Way Aliso Viejo CA - Rental Home Listing - MLS #S646288 - Realtor.com®

28 Cumberland Ln Aliso Viejo CA - House for Rent - MLS #S646423 - Realtor.com®

4 Alberta Aliso Viejo CA - Rental Home Listing - MLS #S641518 - Realtor.com®

Also, check homeseekers.com. I found five SFRs renting for $2500 or less in Aliso Viejo.

It might be in your best interest to first rent in one of the more “traditional” burbs, and then explore Silverado at your leisure once you have settled into Orange County.

Last edited by pacific2; 02-08-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
First question is "what is important to you?"
Beach?
Hills?
Mountains?
Semi Rural?
Suburban?
Urban?
Ethnically Diverse?

I will suggest staying away from Santa Ana, Stanton, Midway City, Parts of Garden Grove, Parts of Westminster and Parts of Anaheim.

You can get to Santa Ana from Most OC cities in less than 1/2 hour (you will need to take the toll way from South County)

ie: It takes me 20 minutes to get to Santa Ana in the Morning from Huntington Harbour. You can get a two bedroom town home for about 1500 - 1800.
Second to staying away from Santa Ana and Stanton.

Garden Grove - stay west of Brookhurst (actually, I'd avoid 92843).

Tustin - don't live too close to I-5. I hear the worst neighborhoods are in that area and you'll have to deal with the constant congestion spilling from the freeway as well.

TryModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed for more detailed info about neighborhood quality..

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 06:17 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Alot of great information!!! I have found a few great places on realtor.com. We would like to find a ranch style house in a great neighborhood that has a club house pool and stuff to do. My wife stays home with the kids (2 and 6) so that would keep them occupied for a while. Plus it would be nice to go for a bike ride or walk in the evenings as well. I know that I am looking forward to the warmer weather....

Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrx7 View Post
Alot of great information!!! I have found a few great places on realtor.com. We would like to find a ranch style house in a great neighborhood that has a club house pool and stuff to do. My wife stays home with the kids (2 and 6) so that would keep them occupied for a while. Plus it would be nice to go for a bike ride or walk in the evenings as well. I know that I am looking forward to the warmer weather....
You may find more community pools, parks, and lots of kid friendly activities, with greater ease of access, in the newer communities of Ladera Ranch, Las Flores, Rancho Santa Margarita and Aliso Viejo. The downside is that it would probably be difficult to find a ranch style home in any of these areas. The trend now is to build vertically. The upside is that it would probably be much easier for your wife to meet others and feel less isolated in her new home.

Along these lines, you’re likely to find more townhouses in the newer communities; many with backyards. You would greatly expand your options if you were to also consider these dwellings, especially since you are renting and not buying for the time being.

Last edited by pacific2; 02-14-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrx7 View Post
What aggrevates me is I am trying to find a rental house and almost all the houses listed on craigslist is for foreclosures or spam. Anyone know of another resource for rentals - SFR? Alot of great information from you guys. I greatly appreciate it!!!
I think you will get better search results on Craigslist if you specify a minimum rent to filter out deals to good to be true and use the title only search with the name of the town. This may miss a few homes but it should filter out a lot of junk ads. Examples:

Tustin:

orange co apts/housing for rent classifieds "tustin " - craigslist

Now if you search for Orange you also get "Orange County"

orange co apts/housing for rent classifieds "orange" - craigslist

A search for ranch homes will give you homes in Tustin Ranch or Ladera Ranch so try these:

orange co apts/housing for rent classifieds ""one story"" - craigslist

orange co apts/housing for rent classifieds ""single story"" - craigslist

orange co apts/housing for rent classifieds ""single level"" - craigslist

and then change to search the whole post instead of the title:

orange co apts/housing for rent classifieds ""single story"" - craigslist

Last edited by capoeira; 02-15-2011 at 02:31 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 AM

The ones that concern me on craigslist are the ones that post img's instead of pics and then they have no number to call anyone and the ads sound very generic. I have emailed at least 5 of those type ads and have yet to receive a single reply.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM

394 posts, read 966,853 times
Some could be spammers looking for fresh meat. Craigslist is notorious for that...
I would suggest this: Create a new e-mail acct. on g-mail or some other generic provider and send all of your requests for info from that e-mail addy. If there is no response, fuh-gedaboudit. At least your primary e-mail acct won't get filled with effen shee-ite! If you get a response then you can follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County